Advice needed re: Sets/Reps

Options
I have started working out in a local gym. My goal is General Fitness and some fat loss. Due to my age and physical condition it is better that I use the conditioning machines rather than free weights.
So my typical routine starts and ends with a cardio exercise.
Between them I use 21 different conditioning machines.

Now my questions...
What is better for physical improvement:
One set of 30 reps on each of the 21 machines
Two sets of 15 reps on each machine
Three sets of 10 reps on each machine

Should the 21 machines/stations be run one after the other in rotation
(Or )
Divided into blocks ( e.g. 7 blocks of 3 machines) where each block is fully completed before starting the next.
FYI, I am running the routine daily spending 2-2.5 hours to complete ( including 45 minutes cardio).

Finally, please show me some evidence/link for your answer. I would like to do some in-depth reading.

Thanks.

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah they are designed to be used in sequence, as a circuit, one after the other.

I would recommend 3 x 12.

I don't want to bother looking for where I learned this, but just google "rep ranges" and read up. 3 x 10 is also fine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Without intimate knowledge of your gym, no one here can answer your question about machine order. Not sure how the other guy can say that all 21 machines are designed in a circuit. I've seen some circuit setups, but many gyms have redundant equipment or several machines for particular body parts set up near each other.

My current gym has 3 different brands of equipment lined up in 3 rows and there's little reason to do 3 legs presses or even to hit all the back machines of one brand in the same day.

I damn sure wouldn't be using 21 machines on the same day. Ain't nobody got time for that. I would, however, use one machine for each muscle group 3-4 times per week, probably for about 8-12 reps to near failure, then select a different group of machines for the next workout.*

*this takes place in a mythical world where I would actually use machines, of course
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    List the machines if you know them - there will be a lot of duplication in what some of them do so it's very unlikely you will need to use all 21 to get a decent full body workout (jn fact it will probably be counter productive.)

I reckon you will need about 8-10 of them, 2-3 sets each, 8-12 rep range.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    physical improvement....

size? strength?

for me personally i usually do 4 sets of 10-12 on lighter days and 4 sets of 4-6 on heavier days.
    i tend to do 2-3 weeks of the light followed by a week of the heavier.

i have nothing to back this up other than it's my own variation of PHAT and i enjoy it.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I say 21 machines I mean 21 different machines, but, you are right, there is some redundancy.
    Machines are not grouped by muscle groups ( except the Adductor and Abductor ), but that may be accidental. :)

I am 60 and retired. Plenty of time every day. Workouts are becoming a pastime or hobby ( can't play golf ).

Thanks for the comments.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I would cut the 30 rep set.
    I could dig 2x15 and 3x10. I would maybe dig deeper into what the machines actually work for your muscles. 21 exercises just sounds excessive. I would narrow it down to under 12.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    21 exercises does seem very excessive, especially if you're just using machines. For reference here are the common rep ranges and their goals: 1-7 reps for strength, 8-12 reps for hypertrophy, 13+ reps for endurance. Choose a rep range based on your goals and go from there. The only real exception to these rep ranges is for leg exercises. Legs respond to hypertrophy in higher rep ranges up to around 15 reps.
  • Jacson53
    Options
    I think I will go for the 2x15 and cut out redundancies.

Thanks again.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    21 machine x 3 sets per machine x 10-12 reps .. that's way too much..if those reps are close to failure i think some guys who thought they were fit, couldn't do it... would like to know why you prefer machines over free weights though?
  • Jacson53
    Options
    Many free weight exercises require standing which is troublesome ( inner ear / balance issues ). Using seated machines or those with stable grips is lots safer.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with you using the machines. If you have stability issues, you may not have the confidence to get the most out of free weights, even if you can physically do them.

Carry on, just cut the volume back
  • SandySweats
    SandySweats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I liked this website to help me understand the basics of reps and sets

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ok, absolutely.. Stay safe and enjoy your workouts..
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Could you do the heavier 3x10 weight on the machines that mimic compound movements and then do the 2x15 or 1x30 on the machines that are isolation work?
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In addition to 21 machines being a little overkill, you only want to lift weights every other day to let your body recover. Lifting every day will lead to overtraining or injury. You might look into giving up some of the more (how shall I say it politely.)... silly machines like thigh abduction and adduction. Here is a list of ones you might want to avoid:

http://www.fitbie.com/get-fit/tips/10-exercise-machines-you-must-avoid

and here is a suggested routine:

http://www.workoutbox.com/workouts/muscle-building-workouts/rookie/beginners-muscle-building-workout-using-gym-machines/

The fact that a machine might appear on both lists is not my fault lol.

I would however, maybe recommend 3 sets instead of 2, and 3 times a week instead of 2.

Mike
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Many free weight exercises require standing which is troublesome ( inner ear / balance issues ). Using seated machines or those with stable grips is lots safer.

Machines can be good, but that many is still a lot. I'm guessing what machines there are, but my recommendations (based on the normal machines in a gym):

Leg Press
    Leg Curl
    Seated Calf Raise

Chest Press
    Shoulder Press
    Rear Delt Flyes on the Pec Deck machine

Lat Pulldown
    Rows (middle back)
    Back Extension Machine (lower back)

Preacher Curl Machine
    Seated Tricep Extension Machine

Ab Exercise (either a machine or floor work)

That's 12 machines and hitting every muscle group. You could add maybe Incline Chest Press too, but I wouldn't go far beyond that.