Weighing salad dressing

Options
2»

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, now I really want to know the brand of the dressing!
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    30 mL=2 tbsp

What I would do if you want to weigh it rather than using a measuring spoon each time is to weigh out 2 tbsp of the dressing and then you'll know the number of grams/ounces/whatever for future reference so you don't have to measure each time.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Well, now I really want to know the brand of the dressing!

It's Hidden Valley Light Ranch Dressing
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I like your dedication lol. If you're ever in this quandary again and want to get really anal about it you can take a measuring spoon, tare it on the scale, and then fill it with water. Weigh it. Do the same with whatever food item you are worrying about, making sure to fill the spoon to the *exact* same level as it was with the water.

You now know the difference in weigh between equal volumes of water and whatever food you're measuring.

Divide the food weight by the water weight. Then, the next time you encounter mL but no grams, multiply this number by the number of mL.

For example: You measure out 1/4 cup of water. Your scale and measuring cups are dead accurate; it comes out to 60 grams. Next you measure out 1/4 cup of the food to the exact same level as the water was. This measures out to be 64 grams. Divide 64 by 60 equals 1.0666 repeating. Now look at the label and see how many mL a serving is. We'll say its another salad dressing, and the serving is a typical 30mL (1/8cup or 2T). Multiply the 30mL by 1.06667 and you get 32. That's how many grams of the salad dressing are in a serving.

That being said, I don't use this technique myself (I've been out of school a long time and just want to reassure myself that i still have some math skill :P). I find that most things measured in mL are close enough to the density of water that they are only off by a couple grams. If grams aren't listed, I just measure out 30g per 2T
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I went on their website and they had the serving size listed in grams. Yay!

In this case 30mL = 31g

Now I feel a little silly worrying about it. I'm a perfectionist, what can I say? :bigsmile:
    yay for finding your answer!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I've searched the forums but haven't found a satisfactory answer, so forgive me if this thread has been done before. My salad dressing says that 30 mL is one serving but I would like to know how much that would be in grams so that I can weigh it and be more accurate.

I know that 1 mL of water = 1g but I don't think that I can use that for the dressing. Any suggestions?

You can't accurately figure out how much 30ml of salad dressing weighs by mathematical formular without actually weighing, since there are variants at play.
    I would say that liquids are easier measured my volume, unless you measure out an acceptable amount of salad dressing and weigh it every time, but I think not even that is correct, because again variables are at play unless you always use the same ( or same two or three dressings ). In that case weighing it one time should be enough, if you always use the same amount.
  • smc864
    Options
    I like your dedication lol. If you're ever in this quandary again and want to get really anal about it you can take a measuring spoon, tare it on the scale, and then fill it with water. Weigh it. Do the same with whatever food item you are worrying about, making sure to fill the spoon to the *exact* same level as it was with the water.

You now know the difference in weigh between equal volumes of water and whatever food you're measuring.

Divide the food weight by the water weight. Then, the next time you encounter mL but no grams, multiply this number by the number of mL.

For example: You measure out 1/4 cup of water. Your scale and measuring cups are dead accurate; it comes out to 60 grams. Next you measure out 1/4 cup of the food to the exact same level as the water was. This measures out to be 64 grams. Divide 64 by 60 equals 1.0666 repeating. Now look at the label and see how many mL a serving is. We'll say its another salad dressing, and the serving is a typical 30mL (1/8cup or 2T). Multiply the 30mL by 1.06667 and you get 32. That's how many grams of the salad dressing are in a serving.

That being said, I don't use this technique myself (I've been out of school a long time and just want to reassure myself that i still have some math skill :P). I find that most things measured in mL are close enough to the density of water that they are only off by a couple grams. If grams aren't listed, I just measure out 30g per 2T

I'm totally going to try this for sh*ts and gigs :tongue:
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You are confusing weights and measures....some foods are meant to be weighed and others meant to be measured. Weighing a food that is meant to be measured won't give you accurate information.
  • smc864
    Options
    You are confusing weights and measures....some foods are meant to be weighed and others meant to be measured. Weighing a food that is meant to be measured won't give you accurate information.

Ummmmmm no. I think you a little confused. Weighing food, whether it be a solid or liquid is the most accurate form of measurement. Period.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Thank You OP! I have been buying salad dressing of late that has ml instead of grams and the only thing I found to convert was the above mathematical equation...not something I want to attempt at 5:30 am when I am logging my food for the day. :)