Chia seeds help to fill a person up...

eeebee
eeebee Posts: 471 Member
edited October 6 in Food and Nutrition
(as part of a balanced diet)....is this really true?

If so, how long does it take to feel the "full" effect? I have combined a couple of teaspoons of raw chia seeds (drank them down with 300ml water) with my lunch today in the hope that I dont crave any snacks for the next few hours like I usually do.

NB. I'd love to know if it was actually worth the money I paid because I haven't yet noticed much of a difference in my apetite since I started taking the seeds every day since Friday last week.

Replies

• Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    I've never tried them, but I had heard they expand in your stomache to make you feel full. Let us know if it ends up working for you! I'm interested!
  • I tried them, but I didn't really think it was worth it. Hopefully someone else will have had a better experience!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    They have lots of Omega-3 which is why I use them. I usually just add them to oats, smoothies, etc.

If you really want them to fill you up, you should probably let them sit in water for a few minutes before eating them. When they touch the water they make a gel, which is the filling effect.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    Chia adds bulk and their good for you. Not so much for the omega 3's (considering the omega 3's are ALA) but the micronutrients, which are hard to beat, especially for women.
  • eeebee
    I tried soaking them in water a couple days ago, it was disgusting! :sick:

Quite like frog spawn, and I dont think I could do that again - surely if I drink them with plenty of water, it will have the same effect but internally, in my stomach, as opposed to having to stomach it as a drink?
  • Is there a difference between black and white chia seeds???
  • eeebee
    I asked the same thing a few months ago - apparently there isn't.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    I really haven't noticed them filling me up at all. Actually, though it may be my imagination, I think they make me hungrier! But, they are full of iron and other nutrients, which is great.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    The key for me with Chia seeds is it eliminates unhealthy sources of fiber. Chia seed, depending on who you get it from, has about 8 grams of fiber in it. Which is much more the bread. Since most bread is made with bleached flour, this is a much better source for fiber in the diet. To get the same amount of fiber from 2 Tbs of 60 calorie Chia seed you have to eat about 400 calories of bleached flour bread. So you can see this gives the body the fiber it needs, which helps but does not stop the body from feeling full, in much less calories, giving you more choice on what to eat during the day. Also, if you don't get enough sleep or water your body will still feel hungry. I find chia seeds are good to add to food over the day to get a fuller feeling after eating something instead of that "I'm still hungry feeling". I find when I take just 2 Tbs i am hungry an hour or so later, but that is probably because I only had a small amount of calories. I mix it in orange juice and do ok through the morning, and do much better with a light snack in the morning.

Chia is high in Omega 3, ALA which is not the same as fish. But the body does convert ALA to EPA but it is still unclear how it does this and to what extent. Still Omega 3 is good for you and with a modern diet, it is unlikely you get enough Omega 3 without trying too. The current thought is you have to eat more ALA so it can convert it to EPA and DHA, which isn't a problem with the Chia seed since it gives you almost 4 grams in 2 Tbs. Most fish barely does 1 gram of omega 3, in pill form. Also an egg will give you alot of DHA and is another good form of Omega 3 if you are looking for Omega 3.

There is no difference between black and white chia seed known to date.
  • Thanks for the info! :o)
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    I tried soaking them in water a couple days ago, it was disgusting! :sick:

I mix them in with plain greek yogurt and let them sit a few minutes. Tastes fine to me.

As long as you check the factory/production line, they're safe for celiac's (like me) to eat and a great source of fiber and protein.
  • eeebee
    thanks - might give it a whirl, mix in a few strawbs, bloobs and honey & blend.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    They fill me up and are healthy.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Started using these today, they have filled me up. Not entirely sure how much I should be having though as it don't say on the packet.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    I mix mine in my yogurt @ breakfast. Very good. & I find they fill me up.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    I mix mine in my yogurt @ breakfast. Very good. & I find they fill me up.

How much do you have a day? I heard 2 table spoons?

I've been mixing it in smoothies and yogurt
  • rmaynard310
    rmaynard310 Posts: 5 Member
    I have been using Chia seeds for the last month to get that "full" feeling that the clerk at the Vitamin Shoppe said I would experience. I usually put a scoop into my oatmeal at breakfast at 7:00am. Now instead of feeling hungry at 11:00 in the morning as I was prior to the seeds, I am feeling hungry at 9:00am. And the hunger is worse.

In my opinion, if you are using them for a "full" feeling, forget it. It's not going to happen, At least it hasn't for me. If you are taking them for the nutritional benefits, then go right ahead.

Me personally, I am going to discontinue them as soon as the jar is empty.
  • Agreed, the "full" feeling was some diet guru's idea. I don't feel full when I use them at all. In fact, I've scrapped chia seeds all together, you can get nutrients else where that aren't "trendy" or as expensive.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    I love chia, but I can't say I've really eaten them just to try to curb hunger.
    I'll put them in my smoothies, mix a bit into yogurt, or make an orange/cardamom 'pudding' with them. Sometimes, I'll just knock back a tbsp. with a chug of water.
    Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I get some sort of happy, bouncy boost from them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    They fill me up and are healthy.

i'd rather just eat steak.

my coworker eats them- I can imagine what they taste like (he chews on his) and I just can't. no thanks. I like eating my food. whole food. like steak.

and bacon.
    and eggs.
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    I tried out the chia seeds this morning, mostly to get more fiber into my diet. I'm not sure if I ate too much (1 tablespoon) but it's making my belly feel weird. Is this the "full" feeling? Doesn't certainly feel like a normal "full" feeling.

And it gets stuck in my teeth too! even if I mix it with water.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    It's all in your head, the filling up idea is just a mind game u are playing with yourself. If u are still craving something it's not gonna be able to out wit your brain.
  • lacieloyd1
    lacieloyd1 Posts: 1 Member
    i felt like i got hungrier too!
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    people make "pudding" with chia seeds by soaking them in almond milk or coconut milk.... still tastes like frog spawn in my opinion. YUCK!!! they're supposed to expand in your stomach though, hence making you FEEL full.

but in addition to the expanding in your stomach thing, chia seeds are a super food. very high in omega-3 so its good for your health anyways.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    I have been mixing 1/2 T of chia seeds with 1/4 milk and about 6 oz of plain greek yogurt. Stir well. To that, I add a couple teaspoons of the jam of my choice, or agave nectar, spices and fruit . Current favorite is cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and chopped apples with apple butter. This summer I couldn't get enough with cardamom and raspberries and a splash of vanilla extract.

Oh - and of course serve in a mason jar - everything is better in a mason jar.

I usually mix this up when I first wake up (if I manage to do it the night before, I add 1/4 C thick rolled oats). Let it sit in the fridge. You won't notice the chia "sludge" with the yogurt. And it makes 6 oz of yogurt seem like much more food. I'm fine until lunch time.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    I like to eat them more for the nutritional benefit they are a great superfood! I always put them on smoothies or sprinkle them ontop of my salads or fruit and yoghurt they are so versatile. Once I ran out of eggs and used them in gel form as an egg replacement in baking.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    They sell chia seeds in different flavors at the Albertsons where I live. I tried the pomegranate juice one and it was pretty good, if you can get over the texture
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Tried them many times, they don't do much to fill you up but are still healthy to use
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    They have lots of Omega-3 which is why I use them. I usually just add them to oats, smoothies, etc.

If you really want them to fill you up, you should probably let them sit in water for a few minutes before eating them. When they touch the water they make a gel, which is the filling effect.

I agree. I love my little seeds :bigsmile: You can make chia "pudding" with them by letting them sit in coconut milk (or whatever liquid you prefer) but a lot of people have a hard time getting by the slimy texture :ohwell: I like to think of them as "tapioca" seeds :wink: I put them in my smoothies too - they thicken it up without banana (I'm allergic) and it makes me feel like I'm "eating" something. I DO find that if I get too much I don't eat much of anything else :ohwell:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    This is why I put Chia Seeds in my morning shake:

"concentrated food containing healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium.

Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). One ounce (about 2 tablespoons) contains 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, plus vitamins and minerals."

I'd never heard all the weight loss and diet claims. I just use them as a nutritional boost.
This discussion has been closed.