Why no sprinting?

2»

Replies

• OP please tell me more about the risks associated with bone density and running

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/news/20030127/long-distance-runners-risk-bone-loss
  • thanks

that's for a very small group of young women, running very long distances and existing on a large calorie deficit over a period of time - the problem for them is not eating enough to support their running, it's not that running itself is making them osteoporotic!

in general running (as with most weight bearing activities) improves bone density
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If you're going for real accuracy, a HRM doesn't work for HIIT because you're getting your HR up but no sustaining it. You have high rates then a recovery with a low rate and repeat. It completely throws the math off. HRM's really only give a reasonable estimate for steady state cardio.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    If you're going for real accuracy, a HRM doesn't work for HIIT because you're getting your HR up but no sustaining it. You have high rates then a recovery with a low rate and repeat. It completely throws the math off. HRM's really only give a reasonable estimate for steady state cardio.

Exactly. I do lifting and HIIT mainly, so I ditched my HRM and stopped counting exercise calories totally. (I switched to the TDEE method.)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    To be honest, I can't really see why anyone would do long-distance, solid-state cardio if they were trying to lose weight (whilst minimising muscle loss), so why is high-intensity running not in the list?

[/quote]

You assume that all long distance runners do is hit "cruise control" and run at a solid pace for 10 miles. I, personally, have days where I incorporate plenty of hills...ups the heart rate....and I incorporate fartleks (look it up) also increases heart rate....and I like to throw in days with negative splits (meaning I get faster every mile) definitely ups the heart rate. So, it does wonders for me.

My doctor says at 42 I'm healthy as can be. All my measurable measurements are fabulous. I don't run to lose weight. I run to get more competitive. I run, because I love it.

As for your original concern about logging sprinting....best I can offer is suggest you part with some cash and get a HRM to get a ballpark estimate of what you burn during your workouts.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Yeah, I agree that too often here, there is too much exercise shaming. As long as people are getting physical and enjoying it, who cares?

Keyboard warriors?