Working out too much?

Options
I'm only two weeks into using MFP and I am seeing great results!! I have started eating healthy and watching everything that I eat, drinking plenty of water and hitting the gym 6 times a week. My question, is working out twice a day too much? I am a senior in college and I seem to have quite a bit of time on my hands so some days I end up walking down to the gym twice a day and jumping on the treadmill for about 45 minutes. My body isn't sore so I know i'm not pushing my body farther than it can go, I just don't know if it's good to be working out so much.

Replies

• Nadine32
    Nadine32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hi! Well Jillian Michaels says that cardio is just a bonus! if you were to be working out with weights superhard, it might be too much, but cardio should be all good. When I am doing my best, I walk once a day, run once a day and do strength training once a day.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I work out (cardio mostly) every day - with a rest day when my body says so. Generally 100-200 minutes per day - 60 of that is walkin the dogs. Works for me. It gets harder and harder to burn those calories - I started with 10-20 minutes a day :-)
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm only two weeks into using MFP and I am seeing great results!! I have started eating healthy and watching everything that I eat, drinking plenty of water and hitting the gym 6 times a week. My question, is working out twice a day too much? I am a senior in college and I seem to have quite a bit of time on my hands so some days I end up walking down to the gym twice a day and jumping on the treadmill for about 45 minutes. My body isn't sore so I know i'm not pushing my body farther than it can go, I just don't know if it's good to be working out so much.

If you feel great, you are probably not doing any harm. Just make sure you get your water and plenty of rest. Too much working out and staying up too late can wear down your immune system. So as long as your getting your 7-9 hours a sleep, I say go for it!
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think you need to develop a routine that you can maintain happily even once you achieve your goal weight. If that means working out twice a day and you are prepared to commit to that long-term, then go for it. Exercise has got to become a part of everyday life for this to work.

Chris
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    As long as you listen to your body you should be fine. It will tell you if you're overworking it. Just pay close attention to the signals it is giving you. And as above posters said, make sure to stay hydrated and get your rest!

Good for you for investing your extra time on your health! (I'm also a senior in college, btw.)