Bad Balance?

Options
I've noticed during my programs that I have HORRIBLE balance. Anybody else find this to be a problem for them? As a little girl I was prone to ear infections and as an adult I find I get a lot of vertigo but generally just have bad balance and can be clumsy. Makes doing some of the static moves a little harder or one where I'm on one balancing foot. Anybody have an ideas to help with this annoying problem? Most people are going to say yoga....but I despise it! Any suggestions?

Replies

• momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My daughter is currently in PT for this very issue...they have her doing a lot of core exercises and on the ones where she is on 1 foot to improve balance engaging your core muscles really helps with being able to balance a bit. I also have the same problem and will be adding her PT prescribed exercises to my routine to improve my balance as well!
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Reallllyyy like as in in Physio Therapy? It's more just annoying for me than anything. But I do a lot of core work and strength training so hopefully that alone will help.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I went through a period of poor balance. Turns out I had allowed my legs - especially in and around my ankles - to weaken. Three months of squats and box jumps fixed it.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    practice practice and more practice - specifically, I found tai chi helped immensley with balance, as does basic yoga and pilates (which I think I probably do better at thanks to the foundation in tai chi)
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    IN for advice. I have the same problem.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm always practicing standing on 1 leg, infront of microwave, waiting for kettle, in queues
    It does get better.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes, as in Physical Therapy...she's a runner and it was causing her to constantly turn her ankles and having a negatice impact on her form. With all of the insane growth spurts she's been going through her muscles just couldn't keep up...She also has a condition where her heart valves will grow at a different rate than the rest of her body...its not dangerous but her growth patterns aren't quite "normal" so therefore the PT to cope with this so she can keep on running. If she weren't a serious athlete and just a "regular" kid she wouldn't need PT to retrain her muscles.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have bad balance so I don't do much that alternates legs, etc. I do full body compound lifts mostly.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    Hmmm yeah, it's not detrimental to me. Just more annoying than anything, because I feel like I'm not doing the moves to the best of ability and therefore not getting the full benefit. I should look into tai chi! I just know that yoga bores me to tears! I TRY to like it but to no avail!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    for netball we do a very simple couple of things to help the girls improve balance. The first is simply stand on one foot with the other raised, and your eyes shut, and focus on not wobbling. then raise the level of where you stand. Once you have that under control, try hopping, doing the same on a bosu ball etc etc.

Might help :)
  • bellevie86
    Options
    I never considered practicing while I'm not working out, so thanks!
  • trilei75
    trilei75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have horrible balance, so I'm very interested in this topic. I think my lack of balance has to do with having little core strength, so I'm hoping it will improve as I get stronger. I embarrass myself regularly in yoga for my inability to stand on one leg!
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have used a Balance Board in the past. It helped with balance and also helped with my previous knee injury. For an extra challenge I would do squats on it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've always had poor balance. I've discovered that as I've been strengthening the stabilizing muscles in my legs, that my balance is noticeably improving.

So here's another vote for Practice!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My sister routinely slips, trips or bumps into other people at her jazzercise classes. No inner ear problem, just clumsy. And I swear it is genetic, I just haven't had the opportunity to display my thundering lack of coordination in a group setting like she has.

Perhaps something without a lot of steps or moves to remember. Avoid complex stuff and find something you enjoy that you will stick with.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If it's a medical issue (Eustachian tube issue from ear infections?) then there's really nothing you can do. I have the same exact issue and it's been that way for decades. As a result, my squats suffer a bit (I'd be lucky if I could squat 300lbs but I can deadlift 415lbs if that tells you anything). No big deal, I don't do any single leg work though - pointless for me.
  • lutterby
    lutterby Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also had lots of ear infections as a child and am missing ranges in my hearing in one ear.

I have done alot of work on bosu's to help improve my balance, stuff like squats, lunges, pushups, standing on one leg and changing it over to the other, on the bosu. Its all about using your core to create stability on an uneven surface. I also did swiss ball work (I did this with a trainer at the local gym).

I prefer Body Balance to Yoga, and now my balance isnt as bad as it was, but I can now stand on one leg without falling over straight away in the Balance class (however the amount of concentration it takes for me to stand on one leg and try and rotate is ridiculous)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ive always had kinesthetic and balance issues...takes me a bit longer to develop a physical skill than someone else and I have poor body spatial and balance coordination. I just have to practice a bit longer to get that muscle memory
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have hideous balance, even lunges have me tipping over. With practice i'm getting better but im pretty sure i look ridiculous most of the time.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    +1 again for practice to help improve muscle memory and strength