What do you do wtih turkey leftovers?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
We have 2/3 left of a 10 lb turkey. Short of sandwiches... Ideas?

Replies

• Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Reheated with other leftovers, salads, tetrazzini, soup, chopped and mixed with black beans and salsa, plain with steamed veggies ...

The two of us will live off a 20+ pound bird for a while.
  • Malaylah
    Options
    I put it in a soup or with cream of chicken soup mix with onions, carrots, potatoes, and peas and top it with stuffing like a pot pie
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    quesadillas
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Wraps, soup, stuffed & baked in bell peppers, lettuce wraps

I usually put turkey in the processor and pulse so it's looks similar to ground turkey - used to stuff & bake in bell peppers; lettuce wraps, casseroles, burgers.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We have 2/3 left of a 10 lb turkey. Short of sandwiches... Ideas?

Turkey and Egg Noodles is my favorite thing to do.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I make the Thanksgiving leftover sandwich that Monica made on a "Friends" episode. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole and an extra piece of gravy-soaked bread in the middle. My family and friends love it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Just noticed the "short of sandwiches" disclaimer. But this is a particularly awesome sandwich! :smile:
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Curry or stir fry! :)
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    90% of the time, my family puts it in salads.

The other times, it's in sandwiches, turkey tacos, omelettes, mixed with some macaroni and cheese, basically thrown into anything as something of a filler.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    6oz of meat
    24 tbs of cole mix (no dressing)
    12 egg roll wrappers
    1/3-1/2 c buffalo sauce or bbq sauce
    12 tbs of cheese (bleu if you pick buffalo, cheddar if you pick bbq)

Shred the turkey and mix with the sauce
    Lay egg roll wrappers on clean dry surface.
    2tbs of slaw, some meat/sauce, 1tbs cheese.
    Roll up egg roll wrappers.
    Place on wire rack on a cookie sheet.
    Spray with cooking spray
    Bake at 350 til golden

Google "canyoustayfordinner buffalo chicken" for better directions
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How about turkey stew, or a turkey & chorizo paella (I usually do these with chicken, but am sure turkey would be just as tasty!)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My wife makes a very simple and quick pie filling or casserole where you use mushroom soup as a base for the sauce - you can then add veggies of your choice. Wholegrain mustard works well too. The dark meat is far superior in taste and texture for casseroles/pies in my opinion.
    Topping can be pastry, mash, potato rosti or even a torn up ciabatta. Add or leave a cheese topping for taste/preferance.
  • labtech666
    labtech666 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Soup, curry, risotto, stir fry.
    I always make turkey curry after christmas. It's become a family tradition. :)
  • sprale
    sprale Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My Mom likes to make turkey pilaf. It has rice, canned tomatoes, chopped onions, celery, and green peppers in addition to the turkey. You put the veggies in a pot (except the tomato) with butter/margarine and heat until they turn clearish. Then you add water with chicken bouillon dissolved in it, tomatoes, and rice. Mix it up, add turkey, and heat it until most of the water is absorbed by the rice.

I think the recipe calls for half cups of the 3 veggies you chop up. Also, chop up the turkey into little pieces before adding it. You can also make this with chicken and it is really good.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    the same as you would with chicken. :)

soups, stews, salad, burritos, quesadillas, turkey lasagna...

Here's a site I came across, has some good ones on there. Of course modify to your particular taste. :)

http://www.delish.com/entertaining-ideas/holidays/thanksgiving/leftover-turkey-recipes#slide-1
  • LeighRaeW
    LeighRaeW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Curry
    Casserole
    Sandwiches
    Salads
    Soup
    Another roast dinner
    Shred or strip cut it for fajitas/enchiladas/tacos/burritos/nacho topping etc
    Turkey chilli
    Turkey lasagne
    Turkey spag bol
    Turkey pie (crust or creamed potato topped)
    Turkey in (reduced fat) soured cream on rice
    Add it to any rice or pasta dish
    Add to scrambled eggs or an omelette
    Top pizza or fill stromboli
    Or, freeze it until you can stomach the sight of it again.

EDIT: Forgot to add that roast poultry bones make a nice stock. Just crack them a little, cover with water, and then boil with an onion, 3 carrots and some celery (veggies optional), for 4 hours. Strain and use/chill/freeze it. Makes great soups and stews, or just broth for if someone's ill.
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    Curry or coronation ;-)
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I make homemade turkey soup and can it myself. Keeps the sodium down and then my family has soup for the year with the homemade taste.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I make a pot pie because I always have left over gravy and the one pie crust since you have to buy them in a pack of 2 I just add mixed veggies. I also make turkey pinwheels my kids love them and so do my sisters. Its just crescent rolls I just leave it as a whole piece and seal the perforated edges I add turkey, cranberry sauce a little shredded cheese and this year I am going to add stuffing to it I roll it up cut in slices place on a baking sheet and bake according to the package of the crescent rolls. They are a big hit and everyone loves to eat them instead of complaining about eating leftovers.
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Throw some in the crock pot with your choice of BBQ sauce and add some water.
    Shred and enjoy!

(I realize this is a sandwich -but the BBQ gives it a much different flavor.)