Too Far Under Budget...???

Options
Ok, I never thought I would see the day that this would be an issue. For the past 2 days I have gotten a warning after logging all of my meals for the day that I hadn't consumed enough calories. I am doing low-carb (which is working wonderfully so far...8 lbs. down total) and for me the low-carb lifestyle change is a hit. I absolutely love veggies so that part was super easy. The problem is that most of the high calorie foods are also high carb. I eat until I get full and I am eating and snacking several times a day. But I am still not logging enough calories now. Any suggestions on low carb snacks, besides veggies, that aren't floating in fat? I am trying to find a good balance with fats, proteins, and fiber. But I need to stay below 60 net carbs a day.

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    I don't get why you're asking for low fat, low cal snacks when you're doing low carb (= more fats) and say you don't get in enough calories?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont you want high fat high protein snacks? things like eggs and cheese and meat...?

and always peanut butter...

if you are going for low carb AND low fat you're just doing very low food!
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you eat less carbs, you should offset that with more fat and protein.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't be low carb and low fat. Pick one or pick none and just eat at a calorie deficit. It works just as well and takes all that stress away of trying to juggle your food constantly.
  • dovesouls
    Options
    I think you have all misunderstood my post. I am not "watching" my fats and proteins, per se. I just can't physically tolerate a lot of fat. But, I was carbing myself to death before and that is what caused my weight gain. Too much of anything is not good. So, trying to find a good balance of everything while keeping my net carbs below 60. Not doing Atkins diet of "no carbs". Was just thinking there should be some kind of snack that is more calorie dense without being packed with fat. That's all.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I think you have all misunderstood my post. I am not "watching" my fats and proteins, per se. I just can't physically tolerate a lot of fat. But, I was carbing myself to death before and that is what caused my weight gain. Too much of anything is not good. So, trying to find a good balance of everything while keeping my net carbs below 60. Not doing Atkins diet of "no carbs". Was just thinking there should be some kind of snack that is more calorie dense without being packed with fat. That's all.
    IMHO Too little of anything is not good either. I do understand that it's easy to gain weight quickly if you eat too many carbs, but why not just introduce enough of them to bring your calories up to a healthy level, just make sure they are good carbs and not all cake :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was carbing myself to death before and that is what caused my weight gain.

eating too many calories caused your weight gain, not too many carbs
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Even Atkins isn't "no carb", it's really difficult to do that.

I'm glad you're finding a level of carbs that suits you, but to make up your calories you will have to look at protein and fat sources. Calories have to come from SOMEWHERE!

Oily fish - salmon or mackerel
    Meats
    Avocado
    Cheese
    Nuts and nut butter
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So, trying to find a good balance of everything while keeping my net carbs below 60. Not doing Atkins diet of "no carbs".

That is close enough to "no carbs" to qualify.

If you're going to restrict carbs so severely, you have to eat more fat. There is no other practical option.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    She said she can't physically tolerate higher fat options...sometimes it is hard for someone's body to digest "a lot" of fat. (ie. I can't eat more than 1/4 of an avocado at a time - my body does not digest it well)

Try adding in a bit of healthy fats to every meal (if you're not already doing so). I want to suggest avocados and nuts, but I know with myself, having both in the same meal (for example) would mean tummy trouble...
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This sounds very much like my diet, you need to add more 'good' fats to get those cals up. Just add a few nuts a day, the amount that fit into the palm of your hand plus a little good quality dark chocolate. Works wonders for me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I'm glad you're finding a level of carbs that suits you, but to make up your calories you will have to look at protein and fat sources. Calories have to come from SOMEWHERE!

There's always alcohol. It isn't a carb, a fat, or a protein.

(Seriously, if you can't eat fat, you should probably consult a dietician, and find a way to eat as much fat as you can, eat more protein, and make up the difference with carbs, because those are ALL the macronutrients that you can reasonably choose from.)
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you eat less carbs, you should offset that with more fat and protein.

This^^^
    Fat is NOT your enemy. Its actually really good for you if its the right kind. Eating fat does not make you fat. If that was try eating a carb would turn you into a carb. Try nuts and eat your meat!

30g of cashews is 171 caloires and 9 carbs...its only around a 1/4 of a cup for a serving.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is illogical. You know you like carbs, you know your body can't handle fats - so you want an extreme restriction on carbs so you have to eat lots of fat.

Madness.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Why does it have to be snacks ? Why don't you just eat a bit more with each main meal, or have an apple and a few nuts or nut butter ? I myself don't snack, but get all my calories during my three main meals, but I know that especially Americans need their in-between meal snacks.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    What about hummus? (It might be too high in carbs for what you're looking for, but it's fairly calorie-dense. And yummy!)

Edited to add: For everyone telling the OP not to "fear" fat - that's not what she's saying!! Some people cannot physically digest a lot of fat in a meal. Yes, low-carb means higher fat (and protein), but not everyone can handle the fat, whether or not it's healthy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    edited
  • ldrosophila
    Options

why cant you tolerate fat? Do you have gallbladder disease or cystic fibrosis?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    What about hummus? (It might be too high in carbs for what you're looking for, but it's fairly calorie-dense. And yummy!)

Edited to add: For everyone telling the OP not to "fear" fat - that's not what she's saying!! Some people cannot physically digest a lot of fat in a meal. Yes, low-carb means higher fat (and protein), but not everyone can handle the fat, whether or not it's healthy.

hopefully she will be able to find something because there are only 3 macronutrients and two are kind of off the plate. Beef jerky actually any meat jerky.
  • dovesouls
    Options

Thank you, that was exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for. I hadn't thought of hummus yet. And you are right, it is a physical issue. Unfortunately with both carbs and with fats. Thank you for understanding!