Diabetes Myths

Options
2»

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You're right that working with your doctor to come up with a good plan to adjust insulin based on blood sugar levels, activity level, and even the type of insulin you take is key. It's much better to have a conversation with your physician vs trying to do this on your own. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Link below to a study of studies. It's basically a study that brings together many clinical studies about Type 2 diabetes, along with those who have successfully reversed their condition. If you want to learn more about what causes Type 2 and how to reverse it, it's all in there with lots of supporting clinical studies.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047.full
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link to this study. The body of knowledge that is emerging from bariatric surgery, and how we can apply this information to changes in eating habits and weight without gastric surgery is really interesting. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! My 17 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 2 (runs in the family) and also a blood disorder. I've bought 2 very good books about diabetes. I'm hungry for all the info I can get so I can help her keep it under control. Next month she gets another test to determine if she will be put on medication such at metformin. It's scary because she's so young. Thanks again for posting.

Edited to add: she has always eaten healthy and never had a sweet tooth. Yet a few years ago she began gaining weight...a lot of weight. I had to push to get tests done. So glad I did.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Good thread and needs a bump. Here are two great links too.

This is a MFP group called "Diabetic type 2"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

just a good site to learn more about this disease and how to get your blood sugars down.

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Great sites :)

I kind of disagree with not stressing that sugar should be avoided, though. I understand that lots of moderation works for most people, but I think it's better to go on and say 'Get rid of your sweet tooth!'. I'm pre-diabetic now, and I prefer to think of any regular- or big- sized sugary/simple-carb item the Devil ;) It helps!

I particularly hate it when diabetes info says to eat them in the same moderation everyone should. No. Everyone should eat them in moderation, but mine might need to be further moderated, and the consequences end up quite different in the end. My pal may gain a few lbs if she fails moderation; I might have to take insulin later, etc. Very different!
  • swet02
    swet02 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! My 17 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 2 (runs in the family) and also a blood disorder. I've bought 2 very good books about diabetes. I'm hungry for all the info I can get so I can help her keep it under control. Next month she gets another test to determine if she will be put on medication such at metformin. It's scary because she's so young. Thanks again for posting.

Edited to add: she has always eaten healthy and never had a sweet tooth. Yet a few years ago she began gaining weight...a lot of weight. I had to push to get tests done. So glad I did.

I hope she'll do great. But maybe she also eat too much carbs...what does her md says about the cause of her diabetes if she doesnt really eat too much sweet?

I admit, I did love eating sweets and eat too much carbs. And im just 30 years old when I was diagnose with diabetes.
  • swet02
    Options

I kind of disagree with not stressing that sugar should be avoided, though. I understand that lots of moderation works for most people, but I think it's better to go on and say 'Get rid of your sweet tooth!'. I'm pre-diabetic now, and I prefer to think of any regular- or big- sized sugary/simple-carb item the Devil ;) It helps!

I particularly hate it when diabetes info says to eat them in the same moderation everyone should. No. Everyone should eat them in moderation, but mine might need to be further moderated, and the consequences end up quite different in the end. My pal may gain a few lbs if she fails moderation; I might have to take insulin later, etc. Very different!

So how much sugar do you really take per day?

My sugar was 14 before I started my diet, yesterday I check again and now it has drop to 7.6.. Ive been in this diet for 1 month now, without meds. But my OB told me, I should take 1500 mg of met per day since my aim is not just to control my blood sugar but also to get pregnant(and I also have PCOS btw). Just hope that by the 2nd month of this diet, my sugar level will be normal again.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

My sugar was 14 before I started my diet, yesterday I check again and now it has drop to 7.6.. Ive been in this diet for 1 month now, without meds. But my OB told me, I should take 1500 mg of met per day since my aim is not just to control my blood sugar but also to get pregnant(and I also have PCOS btw). Just hope that by the 2nd month of this diet, my sugar level will be normal again.

I have PCOS, too :) It depends on what food it is more than I thought it did as far as carbs go. My favorite little OJ in the morning, at 33g carbs is too much. More than that of milk for breakfast is fine. I'm new at all this, so for now I'm just going by my new BG meter. I see the doc next month to discuss the results.

Man, I ate both grits (not much at all!) and 1 piece of toast with a bit of honey one meal, and that is apparently terrible. I didn't go over a normal 'healthy' carb count for the day, though. I need to watch my individual meal counts, no doubt. And I think around 100 total for the day is the highest I can go, judging by my monitoring so far.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I really like this discussion because we're learning from each other and realizing that each person is different, with different food preferences and individual ways of managing blood sugar levels. Figuring out what works for you is really key. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • swet02
    Options

I have PCOS, too :) It depends on what food it is more than I thought it did as far as carbs go. My favorite little OJ in the morning, at 33g carbs is too much. More than that of milk for breakfast is fine. I'm new at all this, so for now I'm just going by my new BG meter. I see the doc next month to discuss the results.

Man, I ate both grits (not much at all!) and 1 piece of toast with a bit of honey one meal, and that is apparently terrible. I didn't go over a normal 'healthy' carb count for the day, though. I need to watch my individual meal counts, no doubt. And I think around 100 total for the day is the highest I can go, judging by my monitoring so far.

I really loved toast with honey, but I tried my best to stay away from sweets for a while because of my sugar level. My breakfast ususally includes 1 cob of yellow corn, 1 small size sweet potato (research says sweet potatoes are good for diabetis), and a glass of non fat fresh milk which really helps me feel full longer....
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH for this posting! I have been diabetic for 10 years. I ignored it for most of the time and have recently begun the quest to kick the TEETH out of this disease! I am not going out like so many others I've known. Diabetes can strike fear in to the hearts of the most outgoing and brave among us. It is so SILENT and DEADLY, but when the problems arise they come with ferocity! I am trying my very best to do all I know to reverse this disease, and in doing so be able to encourage others that they can do the same. This topic is yet another tool in my arsenal. Thank you again!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I love your enthusiasm for taking control of diabetes! If you haven't yet, ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes education program. The more knowledge you have about diabetes, the better you'll be able to reach your goal of kicking the teeth out of diabetes. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • toledogolf
    Options
    This is an awesome post and I would like to share my story. I have been overweight most of my adult life but a heavy exerciser. I am 50 now and have known my A1C was over 10 for many years yet I rarely took my medicine and continued to eat tons of sweets and tons of pizza buffets. I had massive chest pain but I would continue to run through it. Well on 3/3/2014 I started a diet through HMR. I flunked their physical exam but my Dr. signed off. I started loosing weight but still lots of chest pain. Anyway I had a cardiac cath in April 2014 and had 6 stents placed. My ejection fracture was at 25% prior and 40% after. My cardiologist actually said I had a healthy heart and I continued to exercise and diet. Now I am down 39 pounds and my A1C is at 7.4. Still high but I am trying. Anyway had another cardiac cath two weeks ago and another stent was placed. The stents from 10 monts ago are now 30% covered. I need to take this seriously as all my ignorance of Type 2 is coming back to haunt me. I could never see the negative effects of all my ignorance. I sure hope that my kids can.... Currently I am at 226 pounds and hope to get under 200 to get my A1c in check.