POLL: What weightloss plan/philosophy do you follow?

Options
Its interesting to see so many different view points on weightloss and what is necessary for your own personal success. So I was curious, what plan/ philosophy are you following, and how did you decide it was the right one for you?

I'll go first... I've tried many diets in the past, and failed each time. This time I am following recommendations from my doctor and the hospital dietician. So far its working fabulous for me.

So what's your story?

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Track my food. Keep my net calories to around 1700. Ignore going over the limits (fat, protein and carbs) as long as I know I am making good choices.
    And give my MFP friends plenty for crap for making me their friend.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    First, no ones goal should be weight loss. Their goal should be to be healthy. Weight loss can be a means to a healthy end.

Second, be accountable. This sight has helped me make that possible.

Third, be active.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Go over on protein (I usually do not need a protein shake post workout) and stay as close to 1200 calories as I can. I eat SOME of my exercise calories most days - but generally not more than 50-200. Depends on how hungry I am. I have learned to watch my sodium - carbs and fat don't seem to be a problem with me. I have never been into fast food or processed food so I mostly eat real and fresh food too :-) I do some sort of exercise everyday - resting only when my body tells me to. Even then I do a walk (I have a dog to walk). I have been a water drinker for a long time - so I generally partake in more than MFP tells me. I think we know our bodies best - good luck to you!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass 8 years ago. My high weight was 250 pounds. After my surgery, my low weight was 150. In the 8 years since then, I have largely ignored the advice the few dieticians I've seen have given me and chosen not to exercise. So I was looking at 197 pounds on the scale again. And having palpitations about reaching the 200 mark. My wife had been on MFP for...a few months, probably, and had been nagging me to try it. I wasn't ready, and then suddenly, for no reason, I was. I consider myself to be educated about the things I SHOULD be doing. (A therapist would tell me not to "should" on myself. :laugh: ) MFP is an excellent way to make myself accountable for my choices. I'm not telling myself what I need to do, or what I can't do. I'm just trying to guide myself in a more healthy direction. I don't have any particular set goal in mind. I just want to be healthier, more energetic, and a better partner for my wife and role model for the kids we'd like to have.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Eat nutritious foods and smaller portions, get your body moving, and drink lots of water. That's basically what I've been doing.
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    Well.... I exercise almost everyday...I'm a die hard when it come to that. I try to follow the "Eat right for your blood type" diet..which does not imply DIET as in weight loss it is more on what to choose for a healthier you based on your blood type. Alot of the stuff that they had in the book I had already figured out before reading the book. It's not an exact science but it has helped me along the way. I joined MFP to look into exactly how many calories I was eating everyday...and to support a BFF in her journey back to a healthier self. I try to eat non processed foods and stick to whole foods as much as possible.
    And That's it.....less is more :)
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since June 12th!! I've lost 24 lbs and I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I'm on a journey to get healthy, lose weight, and then maintain. Logging all my calories has helped me realized just how much I was snacking on empty calories. I started making goals for myself each week and realized how easy it was to change what I was putting into my mouth. I also started exercising everyday. I always do the elliptical at least 25 minutes a day. During the summer I also would swim everyday and do a video (I'm a teacher). I'm back at work and I'm determined to fit in the elliptical everyday. I also started drinking water and stopped drinking diet sodas. I still eat thing I like, but in moderation. I also eat 1/2 of my exercise calories back and sometimes more. I'm ok losing the weight slowly because I know this is something that is manageable for me. I'm not hungry and I can eat things I still enjoy. So sum it up....eat less, exercise more, drink water.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I promise myself to exercise 30 minutes a day. I have notice in the past as long as I was exercising I was picky about what foods I ate. Once I stop exercising I let my self go and gain back all the weight I loss. My main thing now is to eat whole foods. Keep my blood sugar balanced so that I don't crave sweets, I keep food and exercise journals as well as logging on here so that I am aware of everything I eat.
  • driscollmc
    Options
    considering i'm 19, i'm fortunate enough to not have to watch every little thing, but i've just learned more portion control than anything. i know myself well enough to understand that if i'm completely deprived of the things i love (bread, pasta, etc) then i'm not going to succeed. soooo, if i decide to have some pasta for lunch or dinner, i need to make sure its only one portion size and that i kick myself in the butt to work it off at the gym. then, for dinner or whatever, i make something with less complex carbs, like a small salad, chicken and some veggies. but i can't go cold turkey on those diets. i've tried and failed too many times. but now i just need to get a scale to keep up with my progress since the other one broke :( keep up the good work everyone!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. But I also find that I can maintain (without exercise) or lose (with exercise) with astonishing success if I go Dr. Gott's "no-flour, no-sugar" route, which basically amounts to a whole foods approach.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I try to eat around 1200 calories M-F and not eat my exercise calories. Saturday/Sunday I eat a little more and eat my exercise calories. Even though I'm trying to lose weight, I'm also trying to find what will work for me in the long term. I'm trying to make smarter decisions with food, but I don't deny myself anything I may want. I'll either have a smaller portion or have it on Saturday.
  • lesleyuk
    Options
    I am following the guide on calories set by MFP but I am more a low fat follower. Foods which are less than 4g of fat per 100g . I did years ago after reading one of Rosemary Conleys books and lost 5 stone. A food diary is also the key for me. Tracking everything really helps which is why MFP is perfect for me. It makes me aware of how much a food I want it eat is worth when I compare it to the excersie i need to do to burn it off.
  • canbecanbe
    Options
    eat small be small. that it
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be healthy! I eat whole foods, no processed, no sugar, no milk. I take supplements to make up for the calcium and other stuff. I go to the gym 5 times per week for weight training and run or do cardio 6 times per week. My selfish goal is wanting to compete in April 2011 :) To get there I gotta keep focused on making the right choices. My philosophy is it's all about how you feel! If you workout and eat like crap, you'll feel like crap. If you eat too restrictively, you'll burn your glycogen and feel crappy. So it's all about learning your balance I think! My philosophy is always feeding the mind, body and soul each day. So exercise, eat well, sleep well, drink lots of water, do QiGong (or Tai Chi) and learn something each day :) REMEMBER TO BREATH!

As an aside, I used to look at the scale - Gave that up about a month ago! I now just go with how I feel :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as much real food as possible. Fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, meat (fish, chicken, red), & eggs. I don’t over stuff myself, I eat smaller portions. I don’t starve myself, when I am hungry I eat. I don’t deprive myself, if I want a beer, pizza, ice cream or chocolate, I have a little bit (not a lot). I don’t drink sugared beverages (pop, etc) That was easy, I never did like soda. I run and exercise very regularly. I don’t count calories so much any more, as I’ve found that eating better it seems to matter less to me.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I log all of my food, otherwise I tend to not realize how many calories I'm actually eating.
    Don't deprive myself of foods I want. All in moderation.
    Exercise 6 days/week. Found if I skip more than one day, it's hard to start up again.
    Water, Water, Water
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've tried countless diets only to give them up a week later. I eat whatever I want, nothing is off limits to me. I'm really trying to learn when I'm full, and when to put the fork down though.

Now that I've given myself permission to eat anything I want without guilt, I've discovered I will lean towards the healthier, fresher, natural options as opposed to something prepared. I've entered my food plans on the database here just to see if I'm in the ballpark of calorie intake, and it shows I am, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing :)

L.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is a little more philosophical...

My friend taught me there are 4 Pillars of Strength:
    1) Emotional
    2) Intellectual
    3) Spiritual
    4) Physical

I know I'm strong in the first 3, but the last one, not so much.

On WinterNights I word-oathed to bring balance to my strength by improving on the physical (which, in reality, is the easiest of the 4 to gain.)

Yup, I'm a wyrd-o.
  • BoiJay
    Options
    Schpanks-- I love you, you're doing a great job!
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP because I wanted to get control over how much I was eating. I knew I was overeating....but boy, I never realized by how much!

My philosophy is this...portion control & exercise.

I've tried different "diets" and they don't last long-term for me. I always end up binging.

This HAS to work for me or I'm looking at the possibility of Gastric Bypass which I seriously want to avoid. I want to be able to lose this weight and get healthy on my own without surgery. I have nothing against WLS but I want to give this 200% effort first.