Drinking more water..

Options
2»

Replies

• _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I read a book on healthy eating habits once that actually ridiculed today's Americans and how they carry drinks around all day like babies with a bottle. 40 years ago cars didn't have cupholders, conference rooms didn't have trays of breads and pitchers of beverages, there weren't coffee shops on every corner with 100 high calorie concoctions and a fountain soda was about 10 ozs. Bottled water was Perrier and that's about it. The point was that we now like to have that oral stimulation all day... in the car, in the meeting, in the line. We used to just eat 3 meals and maybe a snack. It was an interesting perspective. The beverage industry has exploded.

And your point?? While I agree that bottle water and beverages in general have increased; it does not change the fact that you still need water to survive. You can survive longer w/out food that you can w/out water. Our bodies are made up of 60% water and help keep our organs funtioning properly, regulates body temp, assists with flushing of wastes and much more. We *need* about 2.5 - 3 liters per day (12 cups). However one needs to take into consideration their daily activity. Most people mistake hunger for dehydration. So instead of quenching our body's thirst, we eat. And depending on what we eat...there will be little water consumed. Which will then cause water retention.

So since the dawn of man we've been walking around dehydrated and unhealthy? Now suddenly the wonders of water have been discovered and we're all soooo much healthier? Statistics don't really back up that claim.

Didn't say that we walked around dehydrated. But we ate better (less chemicals and perservatives) so we not only drank enough, but ate enough food that gave us water. Didn't say we had to drink all 12 cups either - some of our food contain water. However, depending on activity most people will need to drink more. People now are so busy...go go go.... they forget to drink anything. Or they have a soda or coffee and thats it. So yes.... people are dehydrated more than they realize.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    for myself, i found that i physically crave more water now that i started doing heavy lifting. and the days i lift i want to drink more water than on rest days. before i started lifting i would only drink like 6-8 cups a day, but now that i am lifting i am drinking 10-12 on some days. but i never force myself to drink, i just naturally want to drink more. it's not about forcing yourself, its just about listening to your body and giving it what it needs :)
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job which helps. Bottled water always on my desk. I'm currently drinking 8-10 cups before I leave the office at 4:30. At first it was a chore but like anything if you keep it up it becomes habit. Drinking that much water also keeps me feeling full. A nice side benefit.

As mentioned we do get water through food as well. Maybe just try the 6 cups and make that a habit, when you have that seemingly like a normal thing up it another cup, until you are at your desired 8.

Good luck!

This is what I do too. Plus I leave the bottles at room temperature. For me, they are easier to drink that way.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Buy a 32oz water bottle, some MIO, drink throughout the day. I like to drink at least 4 liters a day.

Eta: then on top of it a whole carafe of black coffee!
  • WhisperingCloud
    WhisperingCloud Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I drink it with a lemon slice, it makes it more yummy
  • nordicskater
    nordicskater Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Crystal light (or generic) really helps! No calories and tastes great!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I keep it in one big container that was pre-measured. When I drink, I know if I finish the bottle, I've had 10 cups. Also, if I do a day where i can't stand water (I'm 4 months pregnant so that is happening right now), I'll add some lemon and liquid stevia for lemonade OR I'll do some uncaffeinated fruit flavored tea and stevia added to it.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have to drink at least 100oz per day on light activity days to prevent migraines and at least a gallon a day on regular activity days. But that's me. Here's a link to a short article that does not account for activity.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

It took me awhile to make it a habit and I also drink unsweetened teas. I always have a Nalgene or Camelbak bottle with me, usually two and I drink a lot in my car.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Another weird thing, too, is I drink it more if it's room temperature or warm vs. cold or with ice. Not sure why, but it's a personal preference.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Also climatic conditions may have a role to play in hydration. Like where I am, in the Southwest, the air is very dry...skin dries up fast...chapped lips etc...if you don't hydrate, you get in trouble. We have had cases onsite at work, where people have passed out etc. Most are those on TDY from out-of-towners...

As a result, one of the safety training requirements before entering our site is one of hydration.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I bought a pretty water bottle (silly, but it works!), and fill it up first thing in the morning. I drink that on the short trip to work, then fill it up when I get there. I always have at least a whole bottle of water before I eat and one bottle with food. It's a little bit harder when I'm at home, but I'm working on it. It just becomes a habit.

I feel a lot more alert than I did before drinking lots of water. Not sure if it's just me, but it's great!
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bigger cups. Use a 16 oz glass for water instead of an 8 oz one.
  • crazymommy5
    crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How do you drink more water, even when I drink as much as I can, and still only drink 6 cups. How do some people drink 12 cups a day?

6 cups a day is fine. I also drink as much as I can, and still drink about 6 cups a day. Sometimes it's less. More than that makes me feel like I am drowning! If my mouth seems dry- then I know I should be drinking. I'm not a fan of water and there have been times when I have actually gotten a headache from being dehydrated. I drink the flavored, vitamin infused, calorie free waters. I also drink tea and I'm a coffee drinker.
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use 32 oz bottles and make sure to drink 4 per day. I keep track on paper where I have my menu/meal plan and try to incorporate into my daily routine so by 4pm I have drank 3 of them. It was hard in the beginning but slowly worked up.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Why is it you can only manage to drink 6 cups a day?
  • mandapanda5111
    mandapanda5111 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Water Your Body.It calculates how much water you should drink based on your weight, sends you notifications throughout the day to remind you to drink water, and tracks how much water you drink.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I average 1.25-1.5 gallons a day. It's all I drink so it's easy.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just do. I always have water with me, I don't even know how much I drink each day. Yes, I don't go anywhere without my bottle of water, I'm a baby, waa waa. :)

Many moons ago when the earth was cooling and dinosaurs roamed the land, I drank nothing but cokes. All day every day. I decided to stop drinking sugar - no more coke. I hated water but got myself into the habit of it by using mental imagery - imagined my body as a parched dry riverbed and I was pouring beautiful clear water into it.

I had read somewhere that by the time you realized you were thirsty, you were already partially dehydrated. No idea if that's true but it worked.

Coke or any kind of soda (which I mean by coke) now tastes like a mouthful of syrup to me, while water is refreshing, hydrating and necessary.

I guess it's just a habit!