Hashimoto's Thyroiditis & weight loss

Options

Replies

• calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I think it hasn't impacted my weight...I think I just wasn't paying attention to what I was eating before.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    if you have autoimmune thyroid disease eating seaweed or iodine supplements can be like throwing gasoline on a fire fyi.

whatevs, works for me. People need to hear both sides of an argument. I have hypothyroidism and at my worst my immune system was not at all functional and iodine in the form of kelp supplements and eating plenty of Japanese food definitely help me.

I think most people are smart enough to realise that advice on a forum is anecdotal. Where is your information from ?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have it. By the time I was diagnosed, I had slowly put on 5lbs, despite being very very active and watching what I ate. I've been on synthroid for 15 years now, and it's fixed all that ailed me. I don't feel it is at all a hindrance to my losing weight. Putting too much food into my mouth is what does that.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have it. Weight loss is a struggle, but not impossible. I also found out I was quite deficient in Vitamin D. Since starting a rapid repletion vitamin, my energy level is much improved and that has helped give me the extra energy to stay moving! I've started losing weight again since being on the Vitamin D. Not sure if one has anything to do with the other.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    if you have autoimmune thyroid disease eating seaweed or iodine supplements can be like throwing gasoline on a fire fyi.

whatevs, works for me. People need to hear both sides of an argument. I have hypothyroidism and at my worst my immune system was not at all functional and iodine in the form of kelp supplements and eating plenty of Japanese food definitely help me.

I think most people are smart enough to realise that advice on a forum is anecdotal. Where is your information from ?

lmao...wow ok, first of all my comment wasn't directed solely at YOU alone. Secondly, if eveyrone is smart enough to know that information in a forum is anecdotal, who are you to ask me where I got my info from? Let's get all mad over an opposing piece of advice from someone on the internet shall we?

I have Hashi's, I've experience the Hashi flare from too much iodine. Just because it works for you doesn't make it ok to tell everyone to go eat iodine. I wasn't bashing you for eating it or telling you not to eat it. Just throwing a warning out there for people.

ETA - if everyone needs to hear both sides, chill out and let other people talk about the negatives of iodine and seaweed. -_-
  • pinklemonayde530
    pinklemonayde530 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had it for about 3 years now. When I was first diagnosed my dr said she had never seen TSH levels that high (348.2 on the blood test results) I figured out later that I was gaining about 10lbs a month before i got on medication for it. I have been on .175 mcg for a while now and just got upped to .200mcg. I think now that it's regulated it's been easier to lose weight for me. So far Iv'e lost 40lbs since I have been on the medication. It's been slow but it doesn't seem so impossible now.
  • RoseTears143
    Options

:wink: I wasn't going to say anything...

:flowerforyou:
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I have it. By the time I was diagnosed, I had slowly put on 5lbs, despite being very very active and watching what I ate. I've been on synthroid for 15 years now, and it's fixed all that ailed me. I don't feel it is at all a hindrance to my losing weight. Putting too much food into my mouth is what does that.

this, too. I'm currently smack bang in ideal weight ranges after losing 27kg this year. I've lost weight twice with hypo. I put it on in between because of depression, injury, and eating too much junk and not enough good. Hypo can be a barrier... the lethargy and fatigue are the things though. If your meds are right, you can function normally. if your meds aren't right is here the struggles come in. My doc jokes about having me be the poster child for how to be hypothyroid and not use it as an excuse....
  • trudijoy
    Options

lmao...wow ok, first of all my comment wasn't directed solely at YOU alone. Secondly, if eveyrone is smart enough to know that information in a forum is anecdotal, who are you to ask me where I got my info from? Let's get all mad over an opposing piece of advice from someone on the internet shall we?

I have Hashi's, I've experience the Hashi flare from too much iodine. Just because it works for you doesn't make it ok to tell everyone to go eat iodine. I wasn't bashing you for eating it or telling you not to eat it. Just throwing a warning out there for people.

my mistake, I was taking the condescending 'fyi' at the end to mean that you were positive that you were the most right. i was asking where your info was from out of interest because I'd never heard of that reaction before and it would potentially cause me to add a warning to my 'it works for me' story.

I pretty clearly said that people need both sides of the story. I'm not arguing with you, though your tone in both posts is pretty abrupt, borderline rude really.

No point fighting about things, just present things from both sides. You gave no detail in your original post. After reading the second, it's clearer.
  • RoseTears143
    Options

my mistake, I was taking the condescending 'fyi' at the end to mean that you were positive that you were the most right. i was asking where your info was from out of interest because I'd never heard of that reaction before and it would potentially cause me to add a warning to my 'it works for me' story.

I pretty clearly said that people need both sides of the story. I'm not arguing with you, though your tone in both posts is pretty abrupt, borderline rude really.

No point fighting about things, just present things from both sides. You gave no detail in your original post. After reading the second, it's clearer.

no problemo, and no rudeness implied at all. :flowerforyou: I am just a to the point type of person, no fluff when it comes to stuff like this. I've been around the block with hashi's and know my stuff as well.

Just to toss it out there since you never heard of that type of reaction, for some with AI thyroid disease ingesting iodine can cause a severe AI reaction on the thyroid and really worsen the disease causing thyroid inflammation and pain, along with the tons of other symptoms that we all deal with.
  • trudijoy
    Options

no problemo, and no rudeness implied at all. :flowerforyou: I am just a to the point type of person, no fluff when it comes to stuff like this. I've been around the block with hashi's and know my stuff as well.

Just to toss it out there since you never heard of that type of reaction, for some with AI thyroid disease ingesting iodine can cause a severe AI reaction on the thyroid and really worsen the disease causing thyroid inflammation and pain, along with the tons of other symptoms that we all deal with.

to be fair I don't seem to have a lot of those issues - I have no gluten or dairy issues either - so I think it's just that my meds are bang on? I did have a large discussion with the doctor and he agreed to let me set my own drug level as long as I was testing in range, so i take nearly half as much again as originally prescribed and was tested regularly while setting it and it works for me. Therefore what works for me has been proven to not work for everyone.

It might be that you and people like you are hypersensitive to iodine but something else (coconut is great too) may work for you. Your meds may not be bang on - or they may be and the iodine just gets you.

Bodies are odd things eh? Thanks for clarifying :)
  • RoseTears143
    Options

to be fair I don't seem to have a lot of those issues - I have no gluten or dairy issues either - so I think it's just that my meds are bang on? I did have a large discussion with the doctor and he agreed to let me set my own drug level as long as I was testing in range, so i take nearly half as much again as originally prescribed and was tested regularly while setting it and it works for me. Therefore what works for me has been proven to not work for everyone.

It might be that you and people like you are hypersensitive to iodine but something else (coconut is great too) may work for you. Your meds may not be bang on - or they may be and the iodine just gets you.

It's possible you have just hypothyroidism and not autoimmune hypo, they are two different beasts for sure. Consider yourself lucky you have no issues with gluten and dairy, I do and it suuuucks because I LOVE pizza and ice cream lmao!! I still have them occasionally and as long as I'm good to myself I don't have a reaction. I love that you have a fantastic Dr like that, I hope to find a better one myself soon.

I love coconut too, I cook/bake with it and even use it on my skin and agree 100% that coconut is great to supplement with. I still have some work to do to get my meds situated, it's hard to do when my thyroid keeps sputtering in and out the way it does between attacks...but I'll get there one day. :)

And yes, bodies ARE indeed odd things to say the least.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

It's possible you have just hypothyroidism and not autoimmune hypo, they are two different beasts for sure. Consider yourself lucky you have no issues with gluten and dairy, I do and it suuuucks because I LOVE pizza and ice cream lmao!! I still have them occasionally and as long as I'm good to myself I don't have a reaction. I love that you have a fantastic Dr like that, I hope to find a better one myself soon.

I love coconut too, I cook/bake with it and even use it on my skin and agree 100% that coconut is great to supplement with. I still have some work to do to get my meds situated, it's hard to do when my thyroid keeps sputtering in and out the way it does between attacks...but I'll get there one day. :)

God, the cycling is the worst.... and the vitamin deficiencies *blech*

I don't have issues with gluten and/or dairy (thank god because I would probably shoot myself lol). My WORST problem with this is cold intolerance. I don't mean "oh I am cold" ... I mean my core body temp plummets down to 96 and I freeze from the inside out. When I get to that point, I have to drop everything and jump in my scorching HOT bath tub and sit until my temp raises :( That is the hardest for me. The fatigue is next especially when lifting so I have to break longer than most probably... sux..

Right now they say it is dead, done, finished so hopefully I won't be cycling any more... needless to say I am prior Army (vet) and this condition was left swept under the rug and left untreated for almost 13 years...
  • trudijoy
    Options

I don't really know if I'm AI - my immune system was destroyed by the glandular fever that caused the onset of my hypo, and I used to spend 10-15 days every month on antibiotics. Now that I'm medicated I rarely get sick. So I think the hypo compromises my immune system for sure, btu that may not make it AI seeing as external things (medication, lifestyle) assist it to function relatively normally.

I went 12 years undiagnosed too, so I was at absolute rock bottom when they finally figured it out, and that stress won't have helped my immunity.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if there was anyone with Hashimoto's out there that can share their experience with losing weight. I have it and I'm not sure if it affects weight loss at all,
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i have it and on Armour Thyroid (all natural) Once it is under control you should have no problem losing or maintaining
  • Lorigzee
    Options
    I have suffered from Hashimotos and hypothyroidism for years and find it very difficult to lose weight. I was also diagnosed with insulin resistance and can't lose weight on a restricted diet or low carb diet unless I spend hours and hours exercising. I did find several articles about Hashimotos and iodine supplements. There are many doctors who feel its bad for people with autoimmune disorders. But some studies show iodine with selenium is actually beneficial. I think if you plan to supplement do so under the care of a doctor who can monitor your levels.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/
  • Eyerin
    Eyerin Posts: 24
    Options
    I have Hashi's, and I swear I gained 20 lbs. in a month which is when I got my first diagnosis in the early 2000's. I was told it's menopause...get used to it. I knew it was an unusual feeling and I pushed for proper diagnosis.

The good doc put me on Synthroid (a synthetic T-4) which made me feel so much worse. I had given it lots and lots of time (months) and I felt so much worse.. I asked for the addition of Cytomel (T-3 which is a natural energy hormone in normal bodies). It helped, but the synthetic Synthroid and I just never got along that well.

I am now on the U.S. Armour (or the Canadian version of a drug simply called THYROID® by Erfa). It's a dessicated thyroid drug that has literally made me feel like a new person. It is a drug that was always used for thyroid for like 100 years up until synthetics took over in the 1960's. It naturally provides T3 and T4 and must be prescribed. Weight loss for me now is normal (when I get at working on it!) My energy levels are back to normal.

I have no affiliation with the company or this site, but information on Stop The Thyroid Madness dot com helped me decide that I wanted to try this RX. It was like pulling teeth to get it, but I finally did and I feel very normal now. There are some people who don't do well on it, but I found it regulated me to back to normal. That site answered so many questions I had, as well as knowing how to get and decipher your lab tests.

I know what Hashi's can be like. I lost a few years feeling like crap with zero energy, hair loss, weight gain and a host of other undesirable symptoms. I do hope you can have some hope. I feel 100% better now.

Best of luck!
  • functionalhormones
    Options
    Maria Emmerich has a been a big help to me for a variety of things regarding weight loss... http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/healthy-rice-pudding/ -
  • swimz
    swimz Posts: 5
    Options
    Taking IODINE with thyroid problems - is controversial and possibly problematic. http://www.eje-online.org/content/139/1/23.full.pdf

Here's an example of why the iodine loading test is a fail... http://www.townsendletter.com/Jan2013/iodine0113.html