Muscles and Weight

Options
I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

First, I'm eating at a deficit and I'm female so, as I understand it, I won't gain muscle. However, I'm lifting weights and I'm getting stronger (ie I can lift more!) and I can feel more mucles in my legs. So how does that work?

Second, my gym has two weight bars. The first is called a Smith's machine - where the bar is in a guide so it is safer but you don't get all the stabilising movements when you use it. The other is a free bar but has an integrated bench. The second is great for bench press and I can put the bar on the floor to do deadlifts but which is best for squats? If I use the first machine, I think I don't get all the benefits of the exercise, but if I use the second, getting it off and on the hooks is tough and, with more weight, could be dangerous.

I hope this makes sense and someone can help!

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

First, I'm eating at a deficit and I'm female so, as I understand it, I won't gain muscle. However, I'm lifting weights and I'm getting stronger (ie I can lift more!) and I can feel more mucles in my legs. So how does that work?

Second, my gym has two weight bars. The first is called a Smith's machine - where the bar is in a guide so it is safer but you don't get all the stabilising movements when you use it. The other is a free bar but has an integrated bench. The second is great for bench press and I can put the bar on the floor to do deadlifts but which is best for squats? If I use the first machine, I think I don't get all the benefits of the exercise, but if I use the second, getting it off and on the hooks is tough and, with more weight, could be dangerous.

have you seen anything like this at your gym?http://cdn.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/193x193/4c971525e32ff444db0f0150e765d17f/n/e/new-r3-thumb.jpg

you could use the smith machine, but honestly, after using a power rack for a year, the smith machine is useless to me. it doesn't feel right at all. And you're right, you don't get all the benefits of the squat.

your body is changing composition! Even though you are eating at a deficit, I believe you can still gain small amounts of muscle, and you can definitely have strength gains. This is me last Thanksgiving, and this Thanksgiving. There is only a 6lb difference in weight! Last year at this time, I think I was only squatting 80lbs (in the smith machine, at that). This year I am squatting 135lbs on a regular basis, and can squat up to 150lbs (in the power rack)

11099489163_a176cdc50d.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is what my legs look like now!
    10861448183_785538b1a7.jpg
    #yesisquat # musclemama by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    First question, there are a number of reasons you might be feeling the muscles in your legs. For one, right after you've worked out, there is a "pump" that makes your muscles feel tighter and full. This is just from the blood that has rushed into your legs for the work you were doing, and it will go away in a few hours.

Also, there are different kinds of "hypertrophy" or muscle growth. The first has to do with new tissue being developed, and the second has to do with liquid retention in the tissue cells. I don't know to what extent each occurs, but even at a deficit you could see some growth if you're a beginner (my guess is it's more due to the fluid retention). The reason that we say "no growth at a deficit" is because in reality, the growth is very very minimal regardless, especially when compared with a surplus.

And finally, it could be that you have a lower bodyfat % now (to whatever extent you've lost fat weight) or, it's mostly just in your head. Next time you're in the gym, pay attention to the way that all the skinny people look at themselves in the mirror after curls lol Everyone thinks they look huge after the gym, but it's mostly between our ears ;) It's funny, just enjoy it and wait until you're on a surplus.

Your second question, use the free bar and unhook the bench. I think I know what kind of bench you're talking about, and if you can figure out how to do it properly it's probably less of a pain. (the one I'm thinking of has a lever and you roll it out, but it can be annoying).

As for safety, no doubt the smith machine is *simpler* to use from a safety standpoint. But the way you ensure safety on a squat rack/squat stand/power rack is to put the pins (safety bars) at a good height. Different setups have different kinds of "pins" but ask a gym employee about them.

Practice "bailing" the weight onto them with low weight, and just continue to squat as normal. If you get caught under the bar with heavier weight, you just dump the bar onto the pins and get out from under. I rarely have a spotter, and I've had to do this a time or two when I've been lifting close to my max. Make sure that you don't round your back when you're bailing to stay safe.

If the racks *do not* have a way to bail the weight, you can also just bail it backwards (search youtube), but that is less than ideal and under those circumstances you should probably use the smith machine.
  • Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.

Sarah - it's more like this (but without the section at the back)
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fitnessgurusam.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Using-Bench-Press.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fitnessgurusam.com/page/39/&h=384&w=500&sz=20&tbnid=gpH9E_QRZn3s7M:&tbnh=135&tbnw=176&zoom=1&usg=__Uh6Rc3xJP3hgk01ZnKkxMbiGsJg=&docid=gmYSQ_UVyXutSM&sa=X&ei=46yYUvKDKOjB7AbT6IDgAw&ved=0CDwQ9QEwBQ
    Thanks for the pictures - what you've achieved is amazing!

FrnkLft - I've been told that the bench part doesn't separate from the frame that holds the weights. To use it means walking the weight to the middle of the floor which is what doesn't feel safe.

Eric - thank you, I'd picked some of that up and it why I'm trying to move to the free weights.

If I shouldn't use the smith machine and I can't use the free weight bar, what alternatives are there?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Get a new gym, sadly.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    FrnkLft - I've been told that the bench part doesn't separate from the frame that holds the weights. To use it means walking the weight to the middle of the floor which is what doesn't feel safe.

If you can walk the weight out, that means that you can setup pins on the front of the power rack, outside the "cage"... that means that you can also set up safety bars in the front, if they have them. Ask someone who works there.

Like the picture below, but of course with the bench pushed back. The long bars in the front are the "safety bars" or "pins" i'm referring to, and they are adjustable.

If not , you can just use the "bar holders" that the bar usually rests on as safety catches/pins/bars lol

ze9.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ze9.jpg

As a bonus this cage comes in very handy during alien attacks

ngde5OQ.jpg
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    ^^^:laugh: :laugh: I was 'mirin that cage!!! Now I really want it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Don't use a smith to learn how to squat. If you're totally unsure about squatting "free", start with dumbells. Just hold them by your sides and nail down the form. Once you're comfortable with dumbells, transition to a free bar is usually easier.
    "Hardness" in your muscles if from the muscles uptaking water and glycogen filling them up and from consistent work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    That cage looks awesome- I want a yellow cage or maybe neon green
  • Kegsey55
    Options
    The bar I can walk out isn't in a cage - its on a frame which is about chest height and has just one set of hooks to hold it. To walk it where I can squat, I have to sit on the bench and do a bow-legged walk to clear the bench. Putting it back on my own is tricky and that is with hardly any weight. I wondering that it is only designed for bench presses.

Thanks for the explanations about what is going on with my muscles!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

have you seen anything like this at your gym?http://cdn.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/193x193/4c971525e32ff444db0f0150e765d17f/n/e/new-r3-thumb.jpg

you could use the smith machine, but honestly, after using a power rack for a year, the smith machine is useless to me. it doesn't feel right at all. And you're right, you don't get all the benefits of the squat.

your body is changing composition! Even though you are eating at a deficit, I believe you can still gain small amounts of muscle, and you can definitely have strength gains. This is me last Thanksgiving, and this Thanksgiving. There is only a 6lb difference in weight! Last year at this time, I think I was only squatting 80lbs (in the smith machine, at that). This year I am squatting 135lbs on a regular basis, and can squat up to 150lbs (in the power rack)

what did they used to look like?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

what did they used to look like?

i don't have any pics of the fronts of my legs, but here is one from the end of January of the back of my legs
    8421486933_e2406c9aea.jpg

here are several of the side of my leg from the beginning of the year ( Jan-April, I believe)
    8681874680_3997f92053.jpg
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    The bar I can walk out isn't in a cage - its on a frame which is about chest height and has just one set of hooks to hold it. To walk it where I can squat, I have to sit on the bench and do a bow-legged walk to clear the bench. Putting it back on my own is tricky and that is with hardly any weight. I wondering that it is only designed for bench presses.

Thanks for the explanations about what is going on with my muscles!

What you are talking about is just a bench press setup with the racks for the bench press attached to the bench itself. It's not suitable for anything else. It sounds like what you need is a decent gym.
  • Kegsey55
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This gym has the benefits that it is at work and it is free. I might look into joining a pay-for gym but that will be after the January rush!

I'm happy with squatting, I now want to up the weight. I could go back to the smith machine or find an alternative with dumbbells. I know some people recommend not using the smith machine but is it better than nothing?
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Honestly, I think I'd dumbbell, goblet, or front squat before I squatted in a smith.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    1) Noob gains.
    2) Free bar squats are better than Smith machine squats. It's harder because you are using more muscles. It will get easier as you get better at it over time. But Smith machine is better than nothing.
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    Try Goblet squats, easier on your back and also very effective. You can use a heavy dumbell or a Kettlebell. Air Squats are better then the Smith Machine.