Push elbow pain

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
Potential new injury.

A few weeks ago I noticed elbow pain doing shoulder presses. I was careful about not over taxing push exercises for a while. Today, I noticed the same pain doing machine bench. It was better when I raised my elbows higher.

Any recommendations, short of not doing push exercises? In the worst case I could just do delt lateral raises and chest flies until the problem disappears. Am disturbed that I don't understand what the cause of the elbow irritation is.

What do you think is the problem could be?

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It sounds like tendenitis (tennis elbow) to me, but hard to say. I get this as well and I tend to just push through it. It has come and gone for me. There are straps you can wear just below your elbow to help with the pain while working out. You can get them at any drugstore. I woud say try those and see if it helps.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    How strange. The same thing has been happening to me, and I was thinking about asking people on this site about it. It's extremely annoying!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check your form. something as little as how you rotate your wrist can cause issues. as well as flexing your elbows
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    check your form. something as little as how you rotate your wrist can cause issues. as well as flexing your elbows

Surprised it could be my form. I've been lifting for 15 years. But in 2011 I got Guillain Barre Syndrome, and the residual nerve damage has impacted my balance. I can't do free weights anymore since it is not safe for me to walk from the rack to the bench with a plate anymore.

Now that I need to use machine bench and shoulder press, am wondering what I need to check with form.
  • fernmeister
    Options
    Taking fish oil can ease joint pain as well.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I had elbow pain, got recommended a product called orange triad by controlled labs...... Helped a ton
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sounds like tendonitis/tendonosis. I tried working around mine for four months recently. Finally got a steroid injection into the tendon(s) and it was better in a week.

My advice is to completely shut it down until the pain is gone. That said, I wasn't successful in doing that myself.

Best of luck.

ETA: I also found some relief with/benefits from a device called an Armaid. Good product from a good company. (I had a little problem with mine, called the company, and the owner answered. No affiliation, I get nothing if you buy one.)