are using the weight machines considered lifting?

Options
hi everyone, i signed up yesterday to MFP and am still pretty new to all this. i have a very silly to some, but i am serious. ive been told not to be afraid of lifting weight because it won't bulk me up. i want a flatter leaner belly and i know there is is not spot reduction for that. Ive also been told that if i do too much cardio and only cardio i will just end up looking like I am "skinny fat" which I dont want! I want a flat lean looking belly! :smile: Now back to the question. I am thinking about joining a gym again and I am wondering, if using the machines are the same workout as to using barbells with weights? I will be joining a uni-sex gym and will be a bit embarrassed doing barbells, especially when there are only males around, but if i use the machines, for some reason, ill feel a bit better (if that makes any sense). And just another question. are body weight exercises good to do if i cannot access a gym? I am a stay at home mom and i know there will be days i wont be able to go everyday to the gym. Thanks again in advanced!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Using the machines is not the same as lifting. Free weights are superior in the fact that they cause a higher amount of muscle fiber recruitment and cause fuller muscle development. Machines don't require you to stabilize the weight as you're performing the lift, so a smaller percentage of your muscle fibers are recruited during the lift. Using the machines is much better than not lifting at all, but in my opinion free weights are a must. Don't be intimidated, or afraid to ask for help, most people in the gym are glad to help you. The best thing to do would be incorporate both free weights and machines. Body weight exercises are better than not working out, but like I said before, free weight exercises are ideal.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

Yes, using machines is still considered lifting.

Although, you can often get a better workout from compound barbell and dumbbell workouts (especially additional core strength - that would support your firm belly goal).

> if using the machines are the same workout as to using barbells with weights?

Not exactly the same, but better than nothing.

> are body weight exercises good to do if i cannot access a gym?

Yes, quite good.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    technically yes it's lifting but you'd be better served doing compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench press etc and those are better done with free weights since it forces you to use your stabilizing muscles.

dont be embarrased about using the barbells. you pay your membership same as guys do . body weight exercises are also good check out the book you are your own gym.
  • rosemarierodriguez88
    Options
    Interesting... Does any one know any weight lifting exercises or machines that could firm your back? Right now I'm working on my back, my arms, my stomach and my thighs. I don't want to get bulky but I don't want to be flabby either. I want to get toned! :D
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    don't worry about bulking, it is pretty difficult to acheive especially as a woman. I would suggest the lateral pulldown, and the seated row for your back. Muscle actually helps you burn fat so it will help decrease 'flabbiness'. If you are unsure how to use those machines there are a lot of youtube videos also I am sure if you asked those who work at your gym they would be helpful.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Does any one know any weight lifting exercises or machines that could firm your back?

For lower back, I like back extensions (Roman chair). For upper back, I like one-arm rows with dumbbells.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I find it useful to incorporate all lifting: free weights, cable/machines, body weight exercises. AllTogether, you can hit the most muscle fibers, imo.
  • rosemarierodriguez88
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! =^0^= I tried the seated row today at the gym and the pull down. I'm going to try the other suggestions too. Thank you. ^-^
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Start with what you're comfortable doing then experiment over time. Machines are fine, you can make progress there. Just consider that as you go and improve that you should plan on learning new things when the time is right. Always be learning and researching and experimenting.

When I started I mostly used machines. Now I mostly use the barbell. As you get more advanced you may still want to use machines but only for very specific tasks. If you want real progress, someday you'll want to do squats, deadlifts and benching with a barbell. But for now don't worry about that. Just make progress and think about, work on improving your comfort zone.

And weight lifting won't make you bulky, but coupled with good eating it will make you lean. Building muscle to burn fat will make you shrink. Lifting is the best way to get there so you are on the right path.
  • jesmith86
    Options
    Don't worry about the guys chilling in the weights section, just ignore them. You are there to lift! I tend to be one of the very few females that workout in this section, and have on occasion recently lifted more than them! So feel motivated to be able to lift more than what some men can lift!

I'd definitely recommend a personal trainer, as they will teach you correct form, you don't want to hurt yourself. I would also recommend free weights, kettlebells, barbells ie: Deadlifts, clean and jerks, snatches, kettlebell complexes etc BUT make sure you have correct form before you start to really lift heavy, I cannot stress this enough. I don't use any of the machines, except the rower, but that is my personal preference as I use more muscles doing all the above mentioned workouts.

Make sure you feel comfortable, and don't feel self conscious about all the guys in the free weights section, they aren't really paying attention to you :) Add me if you want some girly lifting support (not that I'm that girly :) )
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think of weight machines more like circuit training. Use 5 stations one right after another without a break. Go through each station 3 times. Its not the same as free weights but very handy and beneficial. There are a lot of good exercises you can do at home like dips ( using 2 chairs) elevated feet pushups and chin ups. Dont be shy at the gym. In my experience a large percentage of the people there are new members too. Watch a few YouTube videos of people respected in the Workout Community
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's best that they're mixed with free weight exercises.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The weight machines and home 'body weight' exercises are a great place to start and yes, they are both considered 'lifting'.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Does any one know any weight lifting exercises or machines that could firm your back? Right now I'm working on my back, my arms, my stomach and my thighs. I don't want to get bulky but I don't want to be flabby either. I want to get toned! :D

You wont get bulky!!!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Using the machines is not the same as lifting. Free weights are superior in the fact that they cause a higher amount of muscle fiber recruitment and cause fuller muscle development. Machines don't require you to stabilize the weight as you're performing the lift, so a smaller percentage of your muscle fibers are recruited during the lift. Using the machines is much better than not lifting at all, but in my opinion free weights are a must. Don't be intimidated, or afraid to ask for help, most people in the gym are glad to help you. The best thing to do would be incorporate both free weights and machines. Body weight exercises are better than not working out, but like I said before, free weight exercises are ideal.

^This.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Females don't accidentally get bulky. You won't accidentally turn into a bodybuilder. I compete in women's natural bodybuilding and after two years of lifting heavy (starting out overweight) I was tiny compared to them. I'm now taking two years off to focus on just building muscle. If you start lifting and you think you look bigger it's fat over the muscle.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Here's my back/traps day:

ScreenShot2013-11-30at100809AM_zpse8789935.png
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The machines are a great place to start if you're new to lifting. Yes, some purists will say "NOEZ! Fr33 Waits ONLY or yu SUXX!" but my trainer is doing some machine work with me to help me work around injuries and give me (I am discovering) a week or so of doing the movement against weight in a controlled scenario before he asks me to do it with a free weight or as a way to be able to do circuit work quickly and push to failure in a situation where if I can't do the movement, I can release without injuring myself. (Preacher curls, anyone? OW!)

If you want to use the machines to build up base endurance do it, but make sure you push - add a rep or add five pounds or something every time you go. It's easy with the machines to forget to increase difficulty. :) But it's more important to do some resistance training than none, no matter what it looks like.

Yes, I would unequivocally agree that if you can do it, free weights (such as dumbbells or barbells) or body weight resistance (such as a TRX system) are going to be more efficient in the long run, helping you build the stabilizing muscles that machines sometimes ignore. TRX is especially kicking my abs - and no that's not a misspelling.

Do what you can where you are. Nerd Fitness has a great beginner body weight workout with some suggestions for modification (I can't really do pushups). Stumptuous has a fantastic workout for beginners buried in the article called "No Fat Chicks", and it's how I started out.

-Betty-
    PS: Regarding back: Yes, the back extension thingy did wonders for mine! Make sure you get someone to show you how first - it's possible to wrench yourself doing this if you don't have the strength in your spinal erectors yet! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_chair
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, free weights are "lifting". Like the previous poster said, they are better than nothing, but barbells are better.

I'd suggest a good, solid, beginner's program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Absolutely! My favorite exercise for lifting is the leg press. I can hit all major muscle groups by altering foot placement/single legged, etc. I've also seen awesome results with the dual cable pulley machine. Don't discount the weighted machines, they are beneficial.