big breakfast?

Options
I just ate a good filling breakfast of 800 calories, and I wonder if anyone else has big breakfast's too and if it is good to? I think I should stay full for awhile. I have read articles that say you should eat 600 or so calories in the morning. Good healthy calories not junk food obviously lol.

Replies

• Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't think it matters when you eat your caloies. We go out every second Sunday for a big family breakfast which is also about 800 calories. It keeps me going all day then I have a light evening meal. So long as you stick to your daily allowance it's fine
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Usually say 80% of the time I eat 300-400 calories in the morning but I get hungry faster ( like 2 hours later) so maybe more calories in the morning will be smart and a small meal for dinner will make me okay calorie wise.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    A big, filling breakfast that is nutritionally sound is the right way to start the day and give you the energy you need to get through your day.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Shrugs shoulders, haha, honestly I have had days where I tear down a huge breakfast and am hungry an hour later. Other times I have a huge breakfast and can't eat for hours afterwards. I don't believe you can bank on it keeping you full every time. I personally try to keep my meals small so I can snack often.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Shrugs shoulders, haha, honestly I have had days where I tear down a huge breakfast and am hungry an hour later. Other times I have a huge breakfast and can't eat for hours afterwards. I don't believe you can bank on it keeping you full every time. I personally try to keep my meals small so I can snack often.

I know what you mean, maybe it has to due with how much fiber/fat we in take that has us full longer? I had oatmeal ( plain) but about 400 calories worth of it, with fruit mixed in. I'm stuffed, and it's been two hours. Usually by this time with small meal I'd be hungry. I guess this is a test for myself lol. I'm not worried about going over calories or anything, I'm smart at knowing what to eat.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

I know what you mean, maybe it has to due with how much fiber/fat we in take that has us full longer? I had oatmeal ( plain) but about 400 calories worth of it, with fruit mixed in. I'm stuffed, and it's been two hours. Usually by this time with small meal I'd be hungry. I guess this is a test for myself lol. I'm not worried about going over calories or anything, I'm smart at knowing what to eat.

That is a pretty good amount of oatmeal! Should keep you going for a while then! :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I like to eat protein pancakes, butter, blueberries, Walden syrup for breakfast before any biking. So since I bike a lot, this is pretty routine for me. It gets me 400-500 good solid calories. If I eat protein pancakes without the heavy cal burn they will last me about 5 hours. The carb is low because there is no sugar in them but I do like the berries.

Hence, I don't get the carb crash & burn like I did when I was a kid and my mom made them :grumble: .... wasn't able to eat them for decades :brokenheart: till I figured out this higher protein powder worked better on the way my body processes pancakes.

And since I'm a butter:love: and a pannycake :love: its the best of both worlds.:love::love:
  • wimpywrx
    wimpywrx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have 27g of oats in the morning with hot milk and is under 300 calories and it lasts me all the way to lunch. As long as its a healthy breakfast thats all that matters.

Iain.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I think it's based on preference. I like to eat a bigger breakfast and a lighter lunch - It works for me. Others can't eat breakfast at all. Although - if I eat 800 calories worth of pancakes and no protein, I'm going to be stuffed immediately after and ravenous about 2 hours later!

ETA: edited due to grammar!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It really depends what it is. I had 700 calories of pancakes once and it didn't fill me up one bit. If I have 700 calories of protein pancakes, or eggs and meat, it will last me much longer.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I like small breakfasts, as I save most of my calories for the evening hours. Really, it's just about managing your calories in a way that's sustainable to you. There's no right or wrong way.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    It really depends what it is. I had 700 calories of pancakes once and it didn't fill me up one bit. If I have 700 calories of protein pancakes, or eggs and meat, it will last me much longer.

I love pancakes! but they never fill me up :explode: so I avoid them knowing I can over eat with them. I usually have oatmeal or chicken in the morning. High protein works for me 100%
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss or body composition. Eat meals that help maintain your energy levels to maximize your workouts and keep you under your calorie goal, i.e. do what works for you, there's no magic.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I got out for breakfast and have a full English/Scottish, then I probably won't exercise that day, or eat until later. I find porridge with banana really filling.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    Listen to your body, and if it works for you, then go for it.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I woke Friday morning, after eating heaven knows how many calories for Thanksgiving dinner and had a 1600 calorie breakfast. I was actually full the rest of the day and didn't eat anything else the rest of the day.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    honestly i eat the same breakfast everyday and it keeps me full for hours. i'll eat before school, leave and can't even eat lunch because i'm still full (3 hours later-ish). all i have is 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup almond milk and a banana (around 270 cals). i used to do this with water and no banana, aka only around 150 cals and still had the same result.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    honestly i eat the same breakfast everyday and it keeps me full for hours. i'll eat before school, leave and can't even eat lunch because i'm still full (3 hours later-ish). all i have is 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup almond milk and a banana (around 270 cals). i used to do this with water and no banana, aka only around 150 cals and still had the same result.

eat something
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Not sure it makes a difference. I see people succeed on all sorts of strategies. I think what is more important is your end of day calorie count. I only have a coffee with cream in the morning, because I learned how to stabilize my blood sugar eating the right foods, and now I don't feel hungry in the morning. I usually have no more than two meals a day, and I don't exceed my calorie target.