How Can You Stop Evening Hunger

Replies

• I always plan my day and leave some calories for an evening snack I enjoy - makes all the difference for me. Are you getting enough protein ? I just started this program , but at my age (almost 60) I know what works for me . We can do this!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Give it 20 mins. Hunger comes in waves, let it pass.

Drink waster, or your chosen beverage, chances are you're thirsty.

Go do something active- walk the dogs, fold the laundry, wash your car

Declare your kitchen closed.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Google the word "leptin". That's your hormone that is supposed to send back the " I'm not hungry" signal back to your brain. By adjusting the proportion of carb/protein/fat in your diet, you will control/stabilize the blood sugar levels, which will improve your leptin function.

Hint: lowering carbs and increasing protein and fat improves leptin - it did for me! Good luck sweetheart.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Whichever of the suggestions you received that you try, just remember the possibility that your total calories are too low. This is easily (IMHO) the number one cause of derailed attempts at effective long-term weight loss. Track consistently, hit your targets, move more, reevaluate progress regularly (every ~6-8 weeks), and tweak accordingly.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Eat high volume lower calorie foods like fruits and veggies so you feel fuller throughout the day. That way you can save cals for a bigger night snack if you want. If you suspect you just want something try water, a mint or hard candy. Having a Werther's original does it for me when I just want something. Gotta find what works for you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I leave room in my calorie intake for post-dinner snacking. I usually eat about 300-400 calories after dinnertime.

Me too.

But that's a concern for tomorrow. For tonight, if you're really hungry eat something small but filling. Tomorrow is another day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Instead of trying to deceive your body into being full, actually do it
    peanutbutter.jpg
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    PEIIslandGirl100 Posts: 62 Member
    eat more protein and good fats.

my calorie goal is similar to yours (1600) and i do pretty well and am never hungry. i also have a tendency to have a HUGE appetite, so me saying i'm not hungry means something :laugh: looking at your diary i can say that i would also be hungry since nothing looks particularly filling IMO

feel free to look at my diary (although the last 2 day have been thanksgivinated) to see what i eat.
    Ur diary is not open.
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Last two days I got mad about eating after 7pm. Fortunately today I have just few things in the fridge left so even my taste buds want something my stocks are empty. Hod no idea how to get back self control so i did not do food shopping...tomorrow I go and buy just for one day and lets see what my taste in the evening will be

I eat 1/3 to 1/2 of my calories after 6pm. I don't understand why people get so hung up on a time on the clock.

I don't. But my calories are almost always all used up rigght after supper.
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Give it 20 mins. Hunger comes in waves, let it pass.

Drink waster, or your chosen beverage, chances are you're thirsty.

Go do something active- walk the dogs, fold the laundry, wash your car

Declare your kitchen closed.

I like this!
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    Whichever of the suggestions you received that you try, just remember the possibility that your total calories are too low. This is easily (IMHO) the number one cause of derailed attempts at effective long-term weight loss. Track consistently, hit your targets, move more, reevaluate progress regularly (every ~6-8 weeks), and tweak accordingly.
    And what would be the side effects of having ur calories too low? besides hunger.....i will be hungry to lose weight if that's what its gonna take.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    I have a nonfat Fage Greek yogurt when i am hungry at night. 100 calories and 20 grams of protein
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    And what would be the side effects of having ur calories too low? besides hunger.....i will be hungry to lose weight if that's what its gonna take.

Feeling tired or run down. Having a lot of cravings. Being light headed or feeling nauseated until you have eaten.

Those are mine at least.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    First try drinking a glass of water and wait around 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, eat something low-ish in calories. Don't beat yourself up about it and plan for a late night snack in the future.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    You could have an 2 egg white omelette (34 cal.) with 1/8 cup of shredded cheddar (45 cals) and a low carb yogurt (60 cal.) for 139 calories. Add a cup of spinach to the omelette for another 10.

Hope you feel satisfied soon --
  • Well I'll admit it. I'm bored, pissy and just wanna freakin' EAT something :grumble:
  • jofjltncb6
    You could have an 2 egg white omelette (34 cal.) with 1/8 cup of shredded cheddar (45 cals) and a low carb yogurt (60 cal.) for 139 calories. Add a cup of spinach to the omelette for another 10.

Every time someone throws away an egg yolk...

...a puppy dies.

Please don't throw away perfectly good egg yolks...

...for the puppies.
  • You could have an 2 egg white omelette (34 cal.) with 1/8 cup of shredded cheddar (45 cals) and a low carb yogurt (60 cal.) for 139 calories. Add a cup of spinach to the omelette for another 10.

Every time someone throws away an egg yolk...

...a puppy dies.

Please don't throw away perfectly good egg yolks...

...for the puppies.

I don't... I buy the whites in a carton :D
  • jofjltncb6

Lethargy, light-headedness, emotional volatility. Another clue would be if weight loss were too rapid.

Hunger because you *want* to eat more is perfectly acceptable to push through. Hunger because you *need* to eat more *will* lead to problems/non-compliance if ignored.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics

Lethargy, light-headedness, emotional volatility. Another clue would be if weight loss were too rapid.

Hunger because you *want* to eat more is perfectly acceptable to push through. Hunger because you *need* to eat more *will* lead to problems/non-compliance if ignored.

I forgot the emotional volatility. I definitely suffer from that one as well.