Machines at the gym?

Options
I have just started using machines at the gym that isolate muscles instead of just doing cardio. I was looking around the internet for the names of these machines, so I could add what I did on here. While looking around I found a lot of sites warning against these machines and suggesting to do other things. I was just wondering what others thought about them? Are these machines a bad place to start building lean muscle?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's not as good as free weights as it doesn't use all your muscles, but it's a start. I wouldn't really bother logging it though, it doesn't burn that many calories.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn that many calories? That's funny.

Machines are fine. You aren't a competitive lifter. Use the machines all you want.

It would be difficult for MFP to calculate caloric expenditure from strength training because it varies greatly depending on the weight you used, muscle mass, intensity, breaks, and a laundry list of other factors.

Keep up the strength training. It is better than doing cardio. You could skip the cardio all together and get great results with those machines.

By the way...strength training burns a ton of calories.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Sure use them.

It's hard to estimate calorie burns while strength training and it's a bit and trial and error to find yours.

That said, I wouldn't use machines as the core of your program. You'll get better strength results using free weights and compound movements for the core of your program and supplementing with machines. Either way though, you'll see strength gains.
  • Panda307
    Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks beachiron I think I am going to try working with free weights!
  • Panda307
    Options
    hwoeltjen thanks for the tips! I will keep it up! I'm just starting, but I will keep going!
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Do some reading first,and focus on form.

Try "Starting Strength," "The New Rules of Lifting," "Stronglifts 5 x 5," or "The New Rules of Lifting for Women."
  • Panda307
    Options
    Thanks beachiron I'm looking it up now
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Good luck!
  • hwoeltjen
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com has some great workouts with free weights. They also have videos on form.
  • Panda307
    Options
    Thanks hwoeltjen I'm looking at the website now! I'm glad they have a ton of info for women!
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As a female who lifts, know this:

You will NOT get manly-bulky from heavy lifting. That seems to be a big fear women have. Unless you are taking testosterone supplements or other anaerobic steroids, it's not gonna happen.

Check out this one too...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I started with a mixture of weights and machines. My husband showed me how to use some of the machines. This helped immensely, instead of trying to figure out things on my own.

I would suggest having someone you know or the gym staff show you the machines. Our gym has an intro-to-machine type thing; also, one of the personal trainers at the gym would be a great way to start. My husband had one of the trainers give him a "crash course," and it wasn't too expensive. I think it was about $100 for 4-5 meetings with the trainer.

Some of what you use is just personal preference too. For example, I tried using weights for triceps, but I had a hard time, so I switched to cables...and it was a bit easier foe me, which helped to prevent me from getting discouraged when I first started. I also have some hip issues, so some types of squats with weights weren't working for me, so I switched to a machine for hip adductors.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Keep up the strength training. It is better than doing cardio. You could skip the cardio all together and get great results with those machines.

By the way...strength training burns a ton of calories.

Better in what aspect?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights vs machines for many reasons, two of them being less stress on individual joints, and free weights will also work your stabilizer muscles, making any strength gains you get more "functional" than just singular motion movements.
  • FitFreakJamie
    Options
    Just remember that form is more important than weight when you're just beginning (whether free weights or machines). Make sure you're using the machines correctly, then make weight/resistance increases as you build your muscle strength. Depending on your overall goal, you may decide to focus on core muscle groups, or overall body workouts. Either way; form + focus + consistency = success.
    Also, weight training burns serious calories- harder to "track", but muscle burns all day long- it's worth it!
    Best of luck in your journey! :)
  • hwoeltjen
    Options
    astralpicture,

Let's say you burn 300 calories running your but off on the treadmill. As soon as you step off that treadmill the burn ends.

Strength training burns calories for up to 36 hours after the workout.

Cardiovascular exercise is great for your heart.....not necessary for fat loss.

You can skip the cardio....do your strength training. If you can do both...great. If you can only choose one....it's always going to be strength training.

In terms of fat loss, cardio is merely a tool to increase your caloric deficit.

By the way....you do your strength training right and it's cardio as well. :)
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    astralpicture,

Let's say you burn 300 calories running your but off on the treadmill. As soon as you step off that treadmill the burn ends.

Strength training burns calories for up to 36 hours after the workout.

Cardiovascular exercise is great for your heart.....not necessary for fat loss.

You can skip the cardio....do your strength training. If you can do both...great. If you can only choose one....it's always going to be strength training.

In terms of fat loss, cardio is merely a tool to increase your caloric deficit.

By the way....you do your strength training right and it's cardio as well. :)

I agree with those points. I started out doing 90% cardio because, as you said, it helped with my calorie deficit which helped with my fat loss. I added more strength training as I got more fit, and now do probably 60% strength and 40% cardio. I still do the cardio for the extra calorie burn but mostly for the heart health, overall health, and endurance training, which I think are great benefits to do some cardio in your routine. I do the strength training to look better, gain strength, and build muscle that helps boost your metabolism. I guess I'm just in the group that thinks both are very important to overall well-being :-)