Little things to lose extra calories during the day

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Rather than shivering, just go for a walk during your break...with a jacket on.

This.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I try to do the stand-up desk thing at work as much as possible. Getting up off my bum helps my back too.
  • CherieB_Akiko
    CherieB_Akiko Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the shivering but I've heard of people swaying or tapping their feet when they are waiting idly for something or talking to somebody. I'm a fan of walking during breaks, especially if you have an office job.
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    For all of those wondering about the shivering. You can burn up to 400 calories an hour by simply shivering.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/317620-how-many-calories-are-burned-by-being-cold/
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    For all of those wondering about the shivering. You can burn up to 400 calories an hour by simply shivering.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/317620-how-many-calories-are-burned-by-being-cold/

I get colds easily enough thankyou without doing stupid things like this.

You can keep your 400 calories. I'll find some other way to burn them.
  • Flutter_By
    Flutter_By Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I walk when I'm on my cell phone. Sometimes I walk in circles around the island in my kitchen or up and down the tracks at the train station while I talk to people.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I often wonder if Darwin would have rethought his theory if he were alive today.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    There is some research indicating that fidgeting can help. I do a few of the others that people have suggested -- parking a bit farther away or stairs instead of elevators, even walking on the escalator.

I try to leave out some calories that I don't miss:
    * drinking water instead of other drinks,
    * leaving sugar out of my tea, dressing off my salad (with good ingredients I don't miss it), using mustard instead of mayonnaise or ketchup, etc.

Also, I like what I call "sneak exercise" :
    * march in place while brushing my teeth,
    * a couple of counter top pushups while I'm waiting for the microwave,
    * ab & glut exercises in the car at red lights,
    * lunges using the shopping cart while waiting in the checkout line,
    * extra curls while carrying a water bottle or other item that adds a bit of weight,
    * partial squats while showering and washing my hair (safety first, I would worry about balance with a real squat, but I can bend my knees a bit and tighten some muscles),
    * exercise while watching TV,
    * partial leg lift on a plane or train (basically lift your legs under the seat in front of you),
    * where I used to work there was more than one break room, so sometimes I'd go to the further one,
    * taking a walk as part of a break.

Edited to clarify.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    At work, I try to find little "errands" to run: make a copy, send something to the printer, take a restroom/water break--but go upstairs. At home, I walk the dogs extra, bounce on my rebounder, do pull-ups when I go by the guest room, do extra house cleaning.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I turned my office sedentary workstation into a standing workstation with the option of sitting when necessary. I stand most of the day and break my tasks up in segments to assure I get lots of walking in. I also listen to music and move to the beat. My coworkers are very entertained. It doesn't bother hem that I stand. It also helps m keep from getting stiff from my arthritic hips and knees.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

I get colds easily enough thankyou without doing stupid things like this.

You can keep your 400 calories. I'll find some other way to burn them.

I hate being cold but am not against walking in it with a coat to burn a little extra from my body working to stay warm. I also workout in my basement where it chilly. I'm moving constantly so I don't get cold but again my body is working harder. I don't log calories for shivering though...how would one even determine that?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't purposely freeze myself for a few extra burned cals but things I do do are park far from the entrance to the store,
    walk around the store more than I need to, use a further washroom that requires me to walk up stairs.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just go for a run.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Eat 1 less biscuit. Not saying you even eat biscuits but that's how I think!!
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    You can only catch a cold if you come into contact with one. Not from standing in it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to apologize to you. Going outside without a jacket to shake calories off is plain stupid. Sorry if that's harsh...but people need healthy ways to burn calories...not crazy **** like that.

+1
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    I like the stand-up office idea. I'm trying to figure out how to configure my keyboard to accommodate that. I don't fidget, but I do like to try to pace as often as possible, but it tends to make my co-workers nervous lol.

I'll continue doing what I feel will create results and makes me feel better during my day, but will try to incorporate some of the other good ideas that I have read here. It's good information.

I understand and accept if people don't agree with some of the methods that I use for my own body (which methods affect you in no way), but, this topic wasn't to advise, or to push my methods on anyone. The premise was to hear what you do, if anything.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

I have a friend that has a rare disease somewhat similar to Parkinson's where she shakes all the time. Her doctors have her on a 5000 calorie a day diet and she is rail thin. I wouldn't wish this on anyone or choose it for myself but there is some science to shivering!
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    You can only catch a cold if you come into contact with one. Not from standing in it.

This ^

Surely it's a virus.
  • missdrizz
    missdrizz Posts: 17 Member
    Options

^that.