Book Recommendations

Olive24219
Olive24219 Posts: 31 Member
I need a new book to read and need some new ideas. What is your favorite book and why?

Replies

• daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Favourite book? The Great Gatsby. I know it's cliche but I've always been drawn to the story. I'm not one for literary devices so a good story is usually what hooks me.

I've just finished reading a couple that I would definitely recommend.

The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
    The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarty
    A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
    As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner
  • The essential writings of RALPH WALDO EMERSON :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    There is no way I can pick a favorite book!! That's like picking a favorite child! :) If forced, I'd have to name 3 of Stephen King's books - "Lisey's Storey", "Cell" and "Duma Key". I rarely re-read books but I've read all three at least twice and would happily read them again and again. I don't believe it's any coincidence that these are the three he wrote after his accident. I think that changed his perspecitve a bit and it shows through his writing.

Just started reading Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" which is a bit scattered but interesting. I'm also listening to "Bones are Forever" by Kathy Reichs (long commute), which is the 15th novel in the Temperence Brennan series. If you like the tv show Bones, these are the books they are loosely based on. There's not really a lot of similarities, especially after you get past the first few novels but the premise is the same and the stories are very good.

I'm also a big fan of the Archie/Gretchen series by Chelsea Cain and the "In Death" series by J.D. Robb.

Happy reading!! :)
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    depends on what you like to read.. I can think of several favorites in various genres.

Right now I'm reading Wild. It's fantastic. I just finished Anne Lamott's Stitches, which was a follow up to her book Help, Thanks, Wow.

I've also read Coming Clean (about a daughter of hoarders) and the Blackdagger Brotherhood series is a big fave of mine for pure brain junk food. I go from fiction, nonfiction, biography, personal journal, faith-related and everything in between. Good luck!
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    For easy reads, read some of James Patterson's books. He's my favourite author.

Totally love Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. It starts slow but it's really really good.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series are also great.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    The Glass Castle - it's a girl's memoir about her very impoverished upbringing. It is heartwarming and sad at same time. I couldn't put it down. Have tissue on hand!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    If I had to choose one book as my favorite, it would have to be The Stand by Stephen King. Each time I read it, it's as amazing as it was the first time. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are very close behind it!

For fun and easy reads, I really like James Patterson books and the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I also just finished a young adult fantasy/adventure series that started with Ever Shade (a dark faerie tale). I usually don't read that type of book, but it sounded interesting. I finished the first book and couldn't stop thinking about it. I got the rest of the books in the series and finished them within a few days. It was a great series.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Get a book called "Less Incomplete"

Learn about lucid dreaming - really interesting stuff!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Fun and imaginative book - Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Like others I can't pick a favourite, but some books I've read recently and really enjoyed are:

The night circus - a book full of magic for adults
    The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold fry
    Gone girl
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Midnight's Children by Rushdie:) it certainly makes your head swim at first because Lord knows who anyone is referring to or why everyone is obsessed with chutney but once you get into it you won't want to put it down
  • I could go on for days... :)

I am currently reading "The case of the missing servant" by Tarquin Hall. It's hilarious and eventful. It follows what I describe as an Indian Mr. Magoo but better.

I have too many favorites...
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    50 shades of grey