Thanksgiving Day Menu- low carb/keto

Options
Hey everyone- I'm thinking of making up a keto/low-carb Thanksgiving day menu. My ideas are listed below. What are your ideas for decadent and doable Thanksgiving day meals, sides or desserts? (btw, most of this will be from a Costco shopping trip.)

- Beef Pot Roast
- Creamed spinach
- Fried avocado and zucchini
- Cheesy mashed cauliflower
- Mini cucumber rounds with Boursin cheese
- Almond buns with garlic herb butter
- Deviled eggs
- Spiced walnuts (for snacking)
- Individual mug cakes with pumpkin spiced whipped cream for dessert

I don't think I'll be missing carbs much!

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I'm not digging the creamed spinach for Thanksgiving and I would really miss turkey, it's tradition. I do like deviled eggs though.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    What are your ideas for decadent and doable Thanksgiving day meals, sides or desserts?
    - butterball turkey
    - stuffing (home made, of course)
    - mashed potatoes with lots of butter
    - sweet potato casserole
    - mashed turnips
    - carrots
    - ALL TEH GRAVY!
    - pie. lots of pie. and cookies.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Maybe you won't but I suspect the people forced to come to your house will.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Wah. I look forward to Thanksgiving. Life is too short to stress out over food during those traditional food holidays, in my opinion.

turkey
    stuffing
    cranberry relish
    mashed potatos
    gravy
    peas
    black olives for the fingers
    pumpkin pie and whipped cream
    pecan pie
    apple pie and ice cream
    espresso/brandy/eggnog
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Maybe you won't but I suspect the people forced to come to your house will.

I suspect if she releases the menu to anyone invited she may have less guests than she originally planned.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    What are your ideas for decadent and doable Thanksgiving day meals, sides or desserts?
    - butterball turkey
    - stuffing (home made, of course)
    - mashed potatoes with lots of butter
    - sweet potato casserole
    - mashed turnips
    - carrots
    - ALL TEH GRAVY!
    - pie. lots of pie. and cookies.

Most of this ^^ except for the turnips because ewwwww. :sick: But, my husband and a chunk of his family are veggie, and that's who is eating with us. Their traditional thing is homemade BBQ gluten (or breaded), it's like a homemade seitan but much nummier. The stuff takes forever to make and pretty much everyone who isn't a vegetarian prefers it too (did I say it was nummy? because it is).

I'm also adding in cranberries, but the out of a can kind because that's the kind I grew up with and I LIKE IT, DAMMIT!

Oh, and homemade fluffy rolls. How could I forget that? MMMMMMMM, dipped in gravy and smothered in butter. It's going to be great.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone- I'm thinking of making up a keto/low-carb Thanksgiving day menu. My ideas are listed below. What are your ideas for decadent and doable Thanksgiving day meals, sides or desserts? (btw, most of this will be from a Costco shopping trip.)

- Beef Pot Roast
    - Creamed spinach
    - Fried avocado and zucchini
    - Cheesy mashed cauliflower
    - Mini cucumber rounds with Boursin cheese
    - Almond buns with garlic herb butter
    - Deviled eggs
    - Spiced walnuts (for snacking)
    - Individual mug cakes with pumpkin spiced whipped cream for dessert

As a fellow keto-er, that sounds delish!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'll be at my grandmothers house who is serving traditional Thanksgiving meal, but plan on eating as low carb as I can without only eating turkey. I will be bringing roasted cauliflower so I won't be tempted by mashed taters. I'll be eating:

- Roasted turkey with a little gravy
    - Roasted cauliflower
    - 7 layer salad
    - One or two bites of winter squash pie, maybe :)

I will miss my mom's wild rice stuffing, but I can live without it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A lot of your menu sounds good but I'd still want rolls and mashed potatoes. Are you having guests who aren't low carbers? If so maybe make it pot luck so they can bring their favorites.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is probably the easiest holiday to make keto. I mean you're eating a 20 lb bird for Pilgrim's sake! Here's what we usually have:

Turkey
    Veggie platter
    Mashed cauliflower
    Roast root veggies
    Olives & pickles
    dates stuffed with mascarpone & pecans (instead of pie). You could also mix the mascarpone with other things like peanut butter or pumpkin puree for chocolate peanut butter "pie" bites or pumpkin "pie" bites. The mascarpone mixes especially well with white chocolate and a dollop of lime curd on top.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A low carb Thanksgiving may present a fun challenge for a ketoer like myself, but stuffing is one of my favorite foods in the world so I plan on eating it!

Also you forgot green bean casserole. That is a delicious low-carb addition to your menu. (Just take out the fried onions or add them sparingly)
  • ketocheeto
    Options
    I'm making a keto stuffing with sausage, almond or flax bread, nuts, onions, celery et cetera. I'm allergic to turkey so I'll be avoiding that, so this "stuffing" will be my main dish, along with cornish game hen. I'll cook it on the stove, then stuffed in 1-2 cornish game hens for roasting in the oven. I'll probably make a keto-friendly pie or something, and of course, mashed cauliflower!
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We're bringing sides to go with the traditional turkey my sister-in-law is making. I think we're doing sugar-free cranberry sauce (homemade, of course!), cheesy mashed daikon radish, green beans almondine, and pan-roasted brussels sprouts with pork fat back.

I'm sure there will be the more traditional sides, too, but not planning to partake of them. I think this is the first major eating-centered holiday since starting keto in January that we'll be at with others.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I'm also adding in cranberries, but the out of a can kind because that's the kind I grew up with and I LIKE IT, DAMMIT!

It's the best! And it has to make that swooshing sound when sliding out of the can!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We use this recipe for stuffing. It's so good, I totally eat the leftovers of it for breakfast on Black Friday!
    http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/pork-stuffing/
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you bake with natural sweeteners, a pumpkin pie would be pretty easy. Modify any keto cheesecake recipe with puree'd pumpkin (which is pretty low carb by volume, mostly water and fiber but do check). I've been doing that autumn while the puree'd pumpkin is on sale. :-)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving, so I don't have much control, but I anticipate having:

turkey breast with cranberry-walnut sauce
    matzos stuffing
    baked sweet potato
    fresh fruit

Oh, and dessert :)
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My wife is doing a completely low carb Thanksgiving dinner. She did it last year. It is just the two of us and the two kids. They both loved it last year and want the same things this year. They loved the loaded mashed cauliflower and the green bean casserole. We have turkey and stuffing made from home made paleo almond bread. The food highest in carbs would be the Cranberry sauce with a pecan crumble.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! :)
  • helloskl2014
    Options
    I love this LOL