I need some advice

Options
How is it that I can be so motivated for a few weeks, even months & then just crash? I have been on this roller coaster of a "diet" since Jan. 1, 2010 and have lost maybe 10 lbs but have gained most of it back. I just can't seem to get anywhere with the eating right. I admit that I need more exercise in my daily routine, but find it hard to make myself do it. How do you stay motivated to get up and workout every single day? I always talk myself into gettig up early, then talk myself right back into bed. I only need to lose like 20 lbs but it has been soooo hard! Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Replies

• Andre_Demers
    Options
    The best secret to diet success is don't do it alone. Find someone to help you. Don't look at the big picture, every pound loss is a success story. All the best. Andre xox
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to finding something you enjoy doing and eating. I really enjoy swimming, (just the breaststroke, so nothing too strenuous) so I try to follow my big weekly workout with half an hour of that. Finding healthy foods you really like will encourage you to go after them more, as well. For my other workouts, I just make sure I have music I love listening to, makes the time fly. So far all these things have helped a major procrastinator lose over 20 lbs., so it must be working a little.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    And try to get out of the "diet" frame of mind. Think of it as a lifestyle change! Make good, healthy choices for food, utilize portion control, exercise when you can... and do this forever! Then, it's just a part of your life and not something you have to think about. And having an occasional treat or big meal wont sabotage your body because you are doing the right things MOST of the time.
    Get back in the saddle, girl! You CAN do this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsdonaheღ
    Options
    I am so there with you..I would have my alarm on very early, and shut it off to go back to sleep. Every day saying "tomorrow I'll get up" Then someone I work with said "Do it at night!" So...When I get home from work I take care of the kids, eat dinner, baths, then the kids watch TV in their PJs or whatnot, and I hop on the treadmill. I do a quick wash up shower after, and I feel clean and rested. Try it, it worked for me!:flowerforyou:
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You know, I have worked out at night before, but I feel guilty about doing that, because I feel like I am not giving my attention to my husband after the kids go to bed. But if I want to be the best me I can be, then I need to just do it!
  • txchic_73
    Options
    This "lifestyle" change is what is so hard for me. No one in my household will eat half of this healthy food. They are all very picky and it is hard to make different meals for everyone. My husband is the hardest to get to try new things, and so the kids have begun to follow. So I am back to cooking things they all like, but with canola oil or olive oil and trying to just eat smaller portions. I need to work out more so maybe it won't all stick to me like it use to. I try to eat light at breakfast & lunch most of the time because I know I will over do it a little at dinner with the family. Just not sure how to make all this work to my advantage!
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    so what my parents have this state of mind if i cook it you eat it (still to this day we talk about my moms eggplant suprise :sad: ) but my roommates eat whatever they want my roommate will litteraly pour half a bag of chips on a plate and call it dinner but i still make my food so just do what you gotta do :)
  • txchic_73
    Options
    And what about eating back your exercise calories? I feel like I definitely should NOT be eating back any calories. I have a hard time sticking to my alloted calories most of the time so I do not want to add more to it. I need to find some really good exercises that burn the most calories and concentrate on those. I am trying to learn to run but I get winded pretty quickly so I have tried jogging in short spurts to try to build up to a comfortable pace. I want to be healthy I just have a hard time sticking to it.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    And what about eating back your exercise calories? I feel like I definitely should NOT be eating back any calories. I have a hard time sticking to my alloted calories most of the time so I do not want to add more to it. I need to find some really good exercises that burn the most calories and concentrate on those. I am trying to learn to run but I get winded pretty quickly so I have tried jogging in short spurts to try to build up to a comfortable pace. I want to be healthy I just have a hard time sticking to it.

If you have trouble sticking to your calories, why the hell whould you NOT take a chance to add calories and still stick to the program? You're setting yourself up for failure; 1- by not using the program the way it's intended to be used, 2- by letting your motivation level make choices for you. Doing this has NOTHING to do with motivation. We do it because we HAVE TO. We do it because we are grown adults who understand that our choices have consequences. If you make the right choices, you'll get the positive consequences we want. None of that universal truth has anything to do with how you FEEL, or how motivated you are that particular day.

Your motivation level will rise and fall. That's how it works for all of us, you included, and you already KNOW it, so why even include motivation in your decision making process?

By not wanting to eat your exercise calories, you're showing that you're still using the faulty logic we all started out with, which is that food=bad. It's NOT true. If you just avoid food all the time, you'll crack. You already have, so we can assume that if you do the same thing again, it will have the same result.

If you're constantly having trouble staying within your calories, then eat a little less at each meal. If you normally eat 350 calories for breakfast, eat 300. See, no emotion. No question of how you feel that day. Just you and the numbers. If you eat too much one day, then the next day eat a little less or exercise a little more.

If your husband is any sort of man, he'll put your happiness first, and you shouldn't feel guilty for ONE SECOND about doing what you have to do to take care of yourself.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    this is how i see exercise calories are for if you need a little extra room and my room mate told if you wanna add muscle but not weight you eat the exercise calories
  • tater8589
    Options
    You have to find something that you enjoy, change it up from time to time, and get into a routine of doing it. I had a hard time getting into a routine to begin with, but now I'm used to it and don't like to miss my days. I'm not a morning person, perhaps your not either. I tend to workout after work before I go home. Good Luck :)
  • tater8589
    Options
    This "lifestyle" change is what is so hard for me. No one in my household will eat half of this healthy food. They are all very picky and it is hard to make different meals for everyone. My husband is the hardest to get to try new things, and so the kids have begun to follow. So I am back to cooking things they all like, but with canola oil or olive oil and trying to just eat smaller portions. I need to work out more so maybe it won't all stick to me like it use to. I try to eat light at breakfast & lunch most of the time because I know I will over do it a little at dinner with the family. Just not sure how to make all this work to my advantage!

I don't have kids yet, but my husband is very similar. He won't eat fruit or veggies. Then he wonders why I don't want to cook for him, lol. I look at it like if he won't eat what I cook then no point in wasting my time and money. Nights that I eat healthy (yummy) veggies he gets hot pockets.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

1) Maybe you can learn to make their favorite foods healthier.... you can find ways to make just about anything healthier. Use whole grain breads and pastas for everything. Use whole wheat pitas to make pizzas, make your own breading for "fried" foods using crushed Fiber One cereal and bake the foods instead of fry..... puree veggies into sauces to hide them, use ground turkey instead of ground beef. I bet you could post a topic, " I need a healthy recipe for ........"and you will get tons of recipes and ideas for what that is!
    2) Put your kids first here! You aren't doing them ANY favors by letting them follow in daddy's footsteps with their eating habits! They will follow by YOUR example if you set a good one! They will learn to eat healthy foods that you prepare because that is all that you will offer them. They know that they can be picky and refuse to eat right now because they will get what they want. I'm not saying to starve them. But, they WILL eat if they are hungry! And if they only have healthy options and snacks, that is what they will eat! You would be doing your family a BIG favor by changing their bad habits and getting them down a good path now!

And I'm serious, there's a healthy recipe out there for just about anything! Just ask for it! Chicken nuggets, stews, burgers, tacos, pastas.... it can be done! And please dont feel like anyone is bashing you here. We are just trying offer ways of making changes that maybe you hadn't considered!
  • blel0906
    Options
    How about a family walk in the evening? To my surprise my husband has been willing to walk with me every night. My kids are old enough, well youngest is 10, we take our walk right around her bed time, we have our phone with us and she has one to call us if there is a problem (we don't go that far)..My daughter likes to walk with us sometimes too, I just can't walk as fast as I would normally plus she's a constant chatter box..

My kids and husband are picky as well..hubbys strictly a meat and potatoes kind of guy...hates chicken and pasta!! He's gotten better...My kids would eat chicken nuggets every night if you let them. One kid doesn't like Seafood or tomatoes anouther doesn't like hot dogs or any sausage type product...

As for food, I really have just been tracking what I eat trying to stay close to the 1200 calorie range I have set..If I go over its just motivation for me to walk longer...tonight I was way under, I still walked but only for 20 minutes. I eat the same food as my family, try to eat smaller portions I also try to keep some handy quick low cal alternatives around ie premade salad, Healthy choice soup, weight watchers meal this way if they want to eat something that is no way going to fit in to my calorie goal I have something quick and easy to make for myself without actually making a second meal...

I actually started having the quick and easy heat and eat stuff on hand years ago because of the different tastes of the house and it works both ways I don't have to exclude something because one person doesn't like it.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    To deal with your picky eaters, keep trying different things and different recipes until you have things that everyone enjoys. I don't know if you enjoy cooking but for me I like to be able to provide my family with nutritious meals. Believe me, there were a lot of things that ended up in the garbage from first tries, but sometimes I make healthy meals my family devours and they don't even know! I found out my husband likes brussel sprouts, beets, kale chips, and lots of other vegetables I didn't even think of buying before!
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all your advice. I do like to cook & can probably find things to incorporate that the kids would not even notice, but the husband is a different story. He is a meat & potato guy & will not try foods like most people. He doesn't like to exercise so getting him to walk with me is out of the question. The kids & I do like to walk together when the weather cooperates. I did get up early this morning to workout. I did my 30 mins of the Jillian Michael"s 30 day shred. I like it alot, and I turned on my own music so it made it more fun. I think maybe I need to get more upbeat music to workout to. The music that comes on the dvd is not very peppy! Both of my children play sports, which helps them to stay active. But I do need to change up some of the things they have for lunch. I will try to work on that in the near future.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options

1) Maybe you can learn to make their favorite foods healthier.... you can find ways to make just about anything healthier. Use whole grain breads and pastas for everything. Use whole wheat pitas to make pizzas, make your own breading for "fried" foods using crushed Fiber One cereal and bake the foods instead of fry..... puree veggies into sauces to hide them, use ground turkey instead of ground beef. I bet you could post a topic, " I need a healthy recipe for ........"and you will get tons of recipes and ideas for what that is!
    2) Put your kids first here! You aren't doing them ANY favors by letting them follow in daddy's footsteps with their eating habits! They will follow by YOUR example if you set a good one! They will learn to eat healthy foods that you prepare because that is all that you will offer them. They know that they can be picky and refuse to eat right now because they will get what they want. I'm not saying to starve them. But, they WILL eat if they are hungry! And if they only have healthy options and snacks, that is what they will eat! You would be doing your family a BIG favor by changing their bad habits and getting them down a good path now!

And I'm serious, there's a healthy recipe out there for just about anything! Just ask for it! Chicken nuggets, stews, burgers, tacos, pastas.... it can be done! And please dont feel like anyone is bashing you here. We are just trying offer ways of making changes that maybe you hadn't considered!

Jamie is absolutely right - healthy food is not bland 'diet/rabbit' food that people always seem to make it out to be! My daughter and I eat clean and healthy all of the time - and she prefers it! When she wants a 'burger' we make them on our George Forman grill using ground turkey breast and instead of fatty cheese, we top it with mango salsa!! Our favorite 'cookbook' is Clean Eating magazine - tons and tons of great recipes in nearly every issue! You can find it in the magazine rack in the grocery store, Target or probably even Walmart.

I don't know how hold your kids are but even 6-year olds are able to help in the kitchen. Engage them in helping to make fun meals so they have an investment in what they are going to eat and will be more likely to eat what they helped to prepare! Give the foods 'fun' names - x-ray carrots (because they are good for the eyes), etc. Make it fun! Bonding in the kitchen while making dinner has always been my daughter's favorite part of the day!

Good luck!
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. Actually my kids love to help in the kitchen. They are 7 & 8, nearly 8 & 9 so we are learning to use sharp knives, very crefully of course. They love to help make salads, but will not touch it. They do not like lettuce or tomatoes, even when they have cut them all up. :) But we keep trying. Both kids helped make Taco Salad last night and did all the veggies, layering and all and they enjoy that. They just chose not to eat it. I need to find something healthy they can eat besides corndogs, hot dogs, and macaroni. They love nuggets too but we do not make any of these things too often. But if it were up to the kids, this is all they would ever eat. Tonight we are having roast & veggies, in small portions for me, but I am making them try it. They will eat the roast and potatoes, but not the carrots. I guess I just need to be more insistant on them eating at least one or more veggies with each meal. Trying to change everything in the house all at once is hard. I am trying to do it in small doses but even that is a big deal to these kids. We have not always been as consistent in the discipline and all as we should have been. I just want us all to be healthier but it isn't easy to acheive.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I had a rule when my daughter was young - she had to try everything on her plate, three good bites and if she still didn't like it then, she didn't have to eat it. Originally, the girl hated broccoli - but I just kept making it once or so per week with the same deal - take three good bites, to give it a good try. Now, we have broccoli most days of the week because that's all she wants! Just don't make the rule a torture - make it a scientific adventure - you never know if you like something until you give it a good try and you may just be missing out on something good because you didn't try it! We also acted all 'scientific' - move the food around in your mouth so that all of your tastebuds get a good try - describe what it tastes like, etc. Of course, they won't always go for that routine, but you really don't want to make it a torture, but a habit to try out new things.

And you're right - you need to introduce the changes slowly - no one likes being told what to eat and what not to eat. Start out slow and explain why something is good for you or conversely, why something is bad that shouldn't be eaten very often. You could also engage the kids in label reading at the grocery store, helping create the weekly menus and make out the grocery list, etc. You'll get there!

As to your husband, you didn't mention if he also wants/needs to lose weight, but I'm sure you must be concerned that he could be healthier! Guys especially don't like to be told what to eat or what's good for them and sometimes, they just need to hear it from another guy. There's a pretty decent book out called "The Abs Diet" and it's written by one of the editors of Men's Health magazine. It's not really a 'diet' in the deprivation sense of the word - the book really talks about foods, which ones are good for you which ones to stay away from and why. It's a pretty good read (even if it is geared towards guys), so maybe it would help to get it for him?
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Actually my husband has lost about 25 lbs this year and he isn't even trying. He still eats cheeseburgers for lunch, McDonald's for breakfast, etc. He just tends not to eat after like 5 or 6pm. But even when he does snack, it is not usually healthy but he is still losing weight. Makes me crazy because I have to work so much harder! If I ate all that all the time I would be the size of my house! He mentions all the time wanting to lose or tone his mid section, but will not walk or run with me. He wants it to just magically disappear, as we all do. I wish it were that easy. My son actually loves brocolli and will eat it when I fix it but my daughter will not try it at all. Even though I cannot always convince the kids to eat their veggies, they do love to "workout" with me. They try hard to do the exercises I do. They will walk, or run with me. Thank goodness for all their energy right! As for the hubby, maybe if I just buy a Men's health magazine and put it in the bathroom he will read it when he doesn't have anything else to do. He wouldn't do it on purpose! (he is just not one of those types).