Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

curious about "stone"

How much is a "stone" and where are those measurements used? I read a lot of posts about people losing "a stone" and I have no idea if that's really good or what. ;-)

Replies

• anna_toffee
    anna_toffee Posts: 31 Member
    a stone is 14lbs. it's used in the UK mainly :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    A stone is 14lbs. Brits of my generation have been brought up between imperial and metric measurements, so I weigh my food in grams but myself in stones and pounds.

ed: So a stone and a half is one stone seven.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    1 stone= 14lbs
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Thanks! :-) So a "one stone" loss is significant...now I know!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Or 6.35kg :)
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    A stone is 14lbs. Brits of my generation have been brought up between imperial and metric measurements, so I weigh my food in grams but myself in stones and pounds.

Lol! Me too.

I also use Fahrenheit when measuring body temperature, but Celsius when cooking or referring to the weather!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Anyone know how the term "stone" as a definition for that specific amount of weight came about? I am curious!
  • Camera_BagintheUK

Lol! Me too.

I also use Fahrenheit when measuring body temperature, but Celsius when cooking or referring to the weather!

LOL but I'll still buy a pound of apples! And I'll measure fluids for cooking in mls rather than fluid oz, but order pints and half pints in the pub! I drive miles but measure meters and centimeters of fabric or paper. :bigsmile:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Anyone know how the term "stone" as a definition for that specific amount of weight came about? I am curious!

It's literal - stones used to be used to weigh things for trade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(Imperial_mass)
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    I vaguely recall something about a common standard of measurement for commerce being set during the medieval period in England by one of our kings but History classes were a long time ago so I nipped over to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(unit)
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    when you have been brought up with weighing body weight in stones and pounds it makes sense and you automatically have a sense of what someone means when they say they have lost a stone, weigh 16 stone, etc but can see it does not make sense to anyone not used to these measurements lol.
  • Ha - totally. Likewise, if an American gives their weight, I have to go divide it by 14 before I have any idea what they're talking about.

I still think of my weight in stone and pounds although on here it's listed in kilos because my bathroom scales are metric only. My kitchen scales are metric too but I use a lot of online recipes which are often in ounces or - if they're from the US - cups (which I still haven't got my head around!).
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468

Lol! Me too.

LOL but I'll still buy a pound of apples! And I'll measure fluids for cooking in mls rather than fluid oz, but order pints and half pints in the pub! I drive miles but measure meters and centimeters of fabric or paper. :bigsmile:

why on earth would you ever order a half a pint in a pub??? :smile:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I've always wondered what the scales say, and I never tried it out when over there. Do they say like 10 S 3 lbs?
  • anna_toffee
    anna_toffee Posts: 31 Member
    yeah, it comes up on the scale like 10:13 or 10st 3. we tend to leave off the "lbs" :)
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member

They same place they got "foot", "cup", "tablespoon", and "teaspoon"

The entire imperial system has made standard units of measure of everyday things.