Balancing meals!

Options
I've been using MFP for many months now, but have mostly focussed on sticking to my calorie and exercise goals per day to make it easy and achievable for myself. I'd like to now focus on having balanced meals per day as well, partially because I'm incredibly prone to lethargy, and generally for my health. Does anyone have any tips for planning out carbs, fat, protein, etc for the day? How can I stay balanced easier? Thanks!

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    When I plan my meals I start with protein, move on to vegetables (I have a two-servings-per-meal rule), then fill in the rest with fats, carbs, etc. I aim for 300-500kcals at each meal, which is how I know what I have left to play with after protein and veggies have been chosen.
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Smart advice above, I also start with protein (the most filling calorie wise) then green vegetables (filling and so low calories its basically free) from there have some fun with the fat and carbs.

Going over recommended allowances on fat, carb or protein wont cause to just start gaining weight without having enough calories as a whole to go over your daily expenditure. So at the end of the day its like money, buy the things you need, then the things you want. then get paid all over again the next day.

If I get to a day where I want something really good, like lots of pizza, but don't want to go off diet, I don't worry so much about the macros (fat,carb,pro) and just make sure to stay under maintenance calories for the day...

I stay very lean this way, it has been like magic for me,
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    personally I think the standard MFP settings is giving you way too much carbs and to low protein (i'd at least go for bodyweight). With that being said I'm sure there is some kind of researched standard they used in designing that, and it probably has some studies behind it.

For me though, a diet consisting of mostly carbs, is a diet that would leave me hungry much faster. My goal when dieting is to never get hungry, its a feeling I don't ever like to feel.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    One thing we've been doing is making and freezing veggie/protein filled burritos. They're quick to heat up, and pretty balanced. No real recipe, just whatever veg we have and something protein in a low-crap tortilla. (I prefer my breads to be nutritious too.)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    low-crap tortilla.

Some people really struggle with a low-crap diet, though. ;)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    This thread has excellent advice and includes a link on how to set your macro targets.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    low-crap tortilla.

Some people really struggle with a low-crap diet, though. ;)
    Indeed. That's why I added the parenthetical.