Hate measuring ice cream..

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You mean I've been doing it wrong this whole time? I take a bowl and put it on my scale...zero it out. Then, I put whatever gram amount for a serving size in the bowl...and eat it.

Nope that's the right way. :wink:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Even if it gives the serving size by volume, doesn't the package indicate the weight for the entire package? You could just divide the total weight by the number of servings to get the per-serving weight.
  • SheFoxyLady
    Options
    Can't give a result in ounces, yet 100ml equals approx. 60g or so :3
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Dude just weigh your ice cream to 1/2 cup which is 4 oz!

4 fluid oz. Solid foods aren't going to be the same as liquids. Also the density matters. Half a cup of my every day ice cream is 62 grams. Half a cup of my favorite gelato is 104 grams.

Oh shoot! So now I have to melt it measure it and refreeze it?
    True!!
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What ice cream only has ml on the label? None that I have seen, and I have seen a lot.

Also, based on your prior posts, you appear to be spending an inordinate amount of time fretting over this type of thing. You are 19 and bulking.
    I agree with Sara!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Even if it gives the serving size by volume, doesn't the package indicate the weight for the entire package? You could just divide the total weight by the number of servings to get the per-serving weight.

This is an excellent answer to your conundrum and also this:
    Also, based on your prior posts, you appear to be spending an inordinate amount of time fretting over this type of thing. You are 19 and bulking.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just eyeball it. Hasn't killed me yet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    You mean I've been doing it wrong this whole time? I take a bowl and put it on my scale...zero it out. Then, I put whatever gram amount for a serving size in the bowl...and eat it.

Nope, that's the wrong way. I'm not going to let Ben and Jerry tell me I can have to exactly eat a half of a cup of ice cream at a time. I put the bowl on the scale, zero it out, then put the amount of ice cream I want in the bowl, divide the grams I'm going to eat by the grams in the serving size, and eat the ice cream, whether it's two-fifths of a cup (because it's just there to adorn a warm cookie or brownie), or three-quarters of a cup-- that's my decision. Mr. Ben and Mr. Jerry may make delicious ice cream, but no way they get to decide how much I eat at one sitting. (Same with Mr. Kellogg -- I'm deciding how much cereal goes in the bowl, not the label on the package.)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Just eat all the ice cream. Problem solved.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The stupid label on the 1000 ml tub indicates nutrition facts per 100 ml.

So the tub has 10 servings. Are you sharing it? If not, it's easy. Divide the number of servings on the container (10) by the number of times you eat it. If you eat it all up in 5 bowls (or times you eat ice cream), then you are eating 2 (10/5) servings at a time (on average). Eat it in 8 bowls, then you are eating 10/8 or 1.25 servings on average. Eat it over 12 times, then on average you are eating about 10/12 or .833 of a serving. If you're sharing it, you need to adjust for the amount other people ate. If 6 people sat down and finished the container in about equal amounts, each had about 10/6 or 1.67 servings.

Enter the nutrition information from the tub into MFP (unless it's already there) and then give your estimate of how much of a 10 serving container you had.

(I like the pint containers, because they usually say 4 servings. It's pretty easy to estimate whether I'm eating 1/4 (1 serving) or 1/5 (.8 serving). It's a little harder with 10 servings, but after awhile you can get pretty good at it.)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Nope, that's the wrong way. I'm not going to let Ben and Jerry tell me I can have to exactly eat a half of a cup of ice cream at a time. I put the bowl on the scale, zero it out, then put the amount of ice cream I want in the bowl, divide the grams I'm going to eat by the grams in the serving size, and eat the ice cream, whether it's two-fifths of a cup (because it's just there to adorn a warm cookie or brownie), or three-quarters of a cup-- that's my decision. Mr. Ben and Mr. Jerry may make delicious ice cream, but no way they get to decide how much I eat at one sitting. (Same with Mr. Kellogg -- I'm deciding how much cereal goes in the bowl, not the label on the package.)

To be fair, this was just an example... I do typically have 2 servings of ice cream a day :P Maybe I'll get wild and do 3 tomorrow.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    weighing it works. I also use a 1/2 cup potato scooper/disher makes it really easy to fill up and level off then it goes right into my bowl works like a charm.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    What ice cream only has ml on the label? None that I have seen, and I have seen a lot.

Come to Canada. I've never seen ice cream that had anything but volume on the label. There's no weight measurement on the ones we have around here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Come to Canada. I've never seen ice cream that had anything but volume on the label. There's no weight measurement on the ones we have around here.

So how do you measure it?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I eye-ball it. I don't have ice cream often enough to worry about it. (Hubby on the other hand, just eats from the container, hahah!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I eye-ball it. I don't have ice cream often enough to worry about it. (Hubby on the other hand, just eats from the container, hahah!)

lol - I thought you were going to say 'messily'.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

lol - I thought you were going to say 'messily'.
    Yeah, Canadian ice cream labeling is the pits. I weigh the whole bucket, minus the weight of the bucket, divide up the remaining weight amongst the number of servings and then weigh out a serving (or two or three :bigsmile: ).

7367689912_0a1c0c2bba_z_zpsd6bb203e.jpg
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    ^^ That's what I do now too. But I eat enough that I had an empty bucket and a new one. :-D

This is why there are so many how do you measure ice cream threads. Canadian's ice cream is measured in half cups or milliliters. I like to measure everything in grams. I eat enough ice cream that I don't want to just guess. I know for my favourites now so I just stick to those.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Put the ice cream on the scale, tare the scale and take your portion. 100ml = 100 grams = 3.5 oz. Don't over think the serving size.

This is true for water but I'm not sure it't true for ice cream, it has a lot of air incorporated into the mix - that's why the texture is ruined if it freezes and thaws,
    The pack of ice cream will be marked with a volume, can you tip out the whole block, weigh it in grams and work out the weight per ml? Once you've done that you can either convert the nutritional value figures from ml to grams and from then on just weigh the ice cream or weigh the ice cream and convert the weight to ml and use the figures as they are.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

same for Mr. Daniels, Mr. Beam, and Capt. Morgan! :drinker: