Need to help on clearing fat from water?

Options
Ok, So I started my weight loss goal on oct 20th 2013 at that time I was 368.8 pounds, to day dec 1st 2013 I weight 325. pounds, Now I have been told most of this is water???? and the rest is fat. So here is what I have dene to lose I hope I am doing what right!

I stopped drinking all soda's & sweet tea's, I stopped eating fast food, and fried foods like burgers, fries, ect. and I gave up all sweets! no pies, no ice cream, no desert,

I have started walking very brisk 5 days a week 35 mins a day, and cutting back on calories.

so is this good??? now I can do weight lifting, I tried it for 2 days with a trannier and did more harm than good. I tore some ligaments and almost could not walk for a week and the Doctor told me weight lifting could wait as the next time I may need to have an operation to repair the damage.

so with what I am doing is it possible to lose 30 pounds in 5 month (by May 2014)???

P.S. Before my weight loss, I was in a 4x shirt and today I can fit a 2x !!! and I had a waist of 60" and today I have a waist of 57" !!

thanks chris

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you weigh 325 you will Definately lose 30lb in 5 months provided you keep doing what your doing. Your doing great.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, that's 40lbs in 6 weeks so I'm sure you can lose 30 in 5 months. Just stick to a plan you can keep for the rest of your life. You don't have to give up everything you love to lose weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay at a deficit (which you currently are based on your stats) then there is not reason that you cannot lose that amount in that time.

To be honest, at your weight, just doing light weights or some form of resistance training (if you are able) will be very beneficial - however, not a big deal at the moment if you cannot. Just keep active and watching what you eat.

Good luck!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Who told you it was water? Day to day weight loss can be water or food. Forty pounds in a month and a half is not water.

If the high-weight lifting is hurting you, you can do low-weight high-rep. You can walk, swim, hit the elliptical or stationary bike, whatever. If it hurts, stop.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing great. Don't overwork or deprive yourself. They both suck.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    A high percentage will be water but the above poster is also right. Your hard work is being rewarded with your loss so whatever you do

KEEP GOING!!!! :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    All of my weight loss has been since the middle of January. I started at a lower weight than you did, so I don't see any reason why you can't achieve your more than reasonable loss goal.
  • helpme8319
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input, I was told by a member that an obese man will lose 20-30 pounds the first 2-3 weeks and that is water then it's fat lose from then on. so That is what I was going on, I look in the mirror but can't see any change in myself. but The scale say I have lost 40+ pounds, and I have had a few people say, "HAVE YOU LOSE SOME WEIGHT?" So it must be working!

chris
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! Way 2 go:)
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work and yes you can definitely do it! Hopefully you can stay away from injury, just keep on moving!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input, I was told by a member that an obese man will lose 20-30 pounds the first 2-3 weeks and that is water then it's fat lose from then on. so That is what I was going on, I look in the mirror but can't see any change in myself. but The scale say I have lost 40+ pounds, and I have had a few people say, "HAVE YOU LOSE SOME WEIGHT?" So it must be working!

chris

A large proportion will be water, but some will be fat. Off the top of my head, I believe it is about 75% of the weight loss on average in the first week or two is water (this varies from individual to individual), but that stabilizes and after that it is all, or primarily fat loss (normal water weight fluctuations aside).
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Ok, So I started my weight loss goal on oct 20th 2013 at that time I was 368.8 pounds, to day dec 1st 2013 I weight 325. pounds, Now I have been told most of this is water???? and the rest is fat. So here is what I have dene to lose I hope I am doing what right!

I stopped drinking all soda's & sweet tea's, I stopped eating fast food, and fried foods like burgers, fries, ect. and I gave up all sweets! no pies, no ice cream, no desert,

I have started walking very brisk 5 days a week 35 mins a day, and cutting back on calories.

so is this good??? now I can do weight lifting, I tried it for 2 days with a trannier and did more harm than good. I tore some ligaments and almost could not walk for a week and the Doctor told me weight lifting could wait as the next time I may need to have an operation to repair the damage.

so with what I am doing is it possible to lose 30 pounds in 5 month (by May 2014)???

P.S. Before my weight loss, I was in a 4x shirt and today I can fit a 2x !!! and I had a waist of 60" and today I have a waist of 57" !!

thanks chris

It sounds to me like you are doing all the right things; cut back (or cut out) all the foods that aren't all that nutritious or have empty calories, increased your activity level, and are weighing and measuring yourself from time to time to document your progress. Your success so far is wonderful and must feel very encouraging. Don't let those who say "oh, but that's just water" or something else that is a veiled put down get to you. Some of them are just jealous of your success. Some think they know of which they speak. As long as you aren't eating at too much of a deficit (calories in are too low compared to calories burned), and you feel more and more energetic as you lose, then keep it up. Loss comes much quicker and more dramatically the heavier you are at the beginning, which I found to be quite encouraging when I began last year.

Keep it up, Chris, you're doing well so far!! Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    On the weight lifting - to some degree everything you do is 'weight lifting' when compared to others.
    For instance a while with me at maybe 180-190lb I carried a 115lb friend on my shoulders for a bit of a walk, as she was really tired. Ok, it was going up steps and the like but it wasn't easy.
    But for you, every step you've got that extra weight.

The trick is probably going to be try and not lose too much of that muscle along with the fat!

A bit of the first week or two might be water, but I doubt anything like the majority of it is - as far as I know the body adjusts quite quickly - so those first days can see the scale dropping, but it doesn't last.
    Which reminds, must get my creatine out!