Crystal Light???

Options
Aspertame is sweet and low, crystal light and every other "DIET" sweetener. By the way also in every diet product that tasts sweetened and all brands of gum! I was shocked to read the list of side effects of aspertame consumption and how many people suffer regularly without realizing why.

Check this out

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a huge list! I wonder just how accurate it is though. I have read bad things about it before. But then again I have read bad things about almost everything before. It seems everything we do can kill us. That is why moderation is key, and research studies that are unbiased are vital. Thanks for the post!
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Aspartame is extremely bad for you, but Sweet and Low is not Aspartame, it is Saccharin. In general, all artificial sweeteners are actually bad for you.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I know I have felt better since switching to using stevia or a little bit of honey as a sweetner.
  • NatureRunnerGirl
    NatureRunnerGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I Know! when I diet I never use artificial sweetners. You ar much better off just using small amounts of regular sugar if you must. I have been saying this for years!
  • queenofdisney
    Options
    That's why I've given up ALL soda. I switched to just Diet Soda but I think it does affect the chemistry in your body when it comes to losing weight. I now only drink water, iced tea and hot tea. I use Splenda for the teas, which is supposed to be the best of the sweeteners for you.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    No. You linked an article from 2002.

"The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener."
    -Critical Reviews in Toxicology, 2007

http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/aspartame912.pdf
  • Dan54
    Dan54 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have by and large quit eating or drinking anything with aspertame in it. For me personally it has meant that my Rheumatoid Arthritis seems to be much better, I don't get the achy feeling I'd get and my hands, which would swell anytime I worked them hard with tools or even garden implements, have quit swelling. Also my hives have become non-existent.

I have heard more than one person say they feel better and XXXX has quit happening since they stopped it. Some people it doesn't bother at all. I can't say for certain it has been the source of problems for me but then I've quit drinking sodas but I often use Crystal Light, Propel and Gatorade powder in my drink bottles during my rides. So the quantity consumed may be the issue rather than the presence.

Just remember, according to the government, everything causes cancer. YMMV. 8^)
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Don't believe any "studies" proving the stuff is safe. Who is funding those studies?
    Surely some corporation with a financial interest in keeping the product on the market. :explode: :grumble:

Just don't use any funky flavorings because guess what?
    All that stuff = crap = chemicals. :grumble: :noway: :sad:

Get a Brita water filter (or similar) because guess what?
    TAP Water = CRAP Water = chemicals = like chlorine = tastes LoUsy! :love: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • lovelylinz
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners upset my stomach and leave me with a bad after taste. I try my hardest to stay away from them, but it's hard when you are watching your caloric intake. As far as crystal light goes, I got used to the grapefruit flavor to the point that I was actually able to enjoy it. However, my mom hates the idea of me even having any type of artificial sweetener due to the past studies and potential side effects. I try to use agave nectar and honey to sweeten my food/drinks. It is more calories, but I feel safer and it doesnt leave an ugly after taste in my mouth. Im also trying to get my palette used to a lower level of sweetness, if that makes sense. Im slowly trying to cut back little by little so that what tastes sweet to me will actually be less that what it was previously.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a huge list! I wonder just how accurate it is though. I have read bad things about it before. But then again I have read bad things about almost everything before. It seems everything we do can kill us. That is why moderation is key, and research studies that are unbiased are vital. Thanks for the post!

Anecdotal, I know. I stopped using all artificial sweeteners about 10 years ago. I found they caused extreme fatigue (even when drinking diet coke with caffeine in it) and some joint pain. I feel much better without them in my system. Your mileage may vary.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    artificial sweeteners, or anything artificial, is in the end, obviously, not natural. Since taking Aspartame out of my diet, I have experienced less carbohydrate cravings for one. Two, the bloated feeling is actually gone. I too, don't have the achy joints in my hands. I don't necessarily believe everything I read, so I "test" things out for myself. The changes I have experienced are enough for me. I am in the process of switching to a "Whole Foods" way of dieting, and I must admit, that I feel better. enough said
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Don't believe any "studies" proving the stuff is safe. Who is funding those studies?
    Surely some corporation with a financial interest in keeping the product on the market. :explode: :grumble:

Just don't use any funky flavorings because guess what?
    All that stuff = crap = chemicals. :grumble: :noway: :sad:

Get a Brita water filter (or similar) because guess what?
    TAP Water = CRAP Water = chemicals = like chlorine = tastes LoUsy! :love: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

By your logic we should all grow our own food. Who knows what "chemicals" are put in our foods! :frown::laugh::huh::yawn::noway::glasses::flowerforyou::blushing::smile:
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of artificial sweetner, YUCK!!! I just buy regular and just eat less of it. For my sweet tea, I use agave nectar instead of sugar. It taste the same and no major blood sugar jump with it... I read that in clean eating and haven't gone back to sugar. Trying to find a way to bake with it now.....