A Serious Moment

Options
Hi. I'm looking for advice. I'll get straight to it. My wife is 44. In 2010, she had a mild stroke and was diagnosed with MS. She no longer works because her motor skills and mental functioning has been compromised. Most days she wakes up in pain, hardly able to walk without difficulty. She has this crazy arthritis that surfaces every blue moon where her hands constrict in these painful contortions. It lasts for few minutes then passes. She desperately and to lose weight and get in shape, but the physical challenges make it difficult to sustain anything.
Do you happen to know of anything we can do together to help her? We realize that if she gets healthy, it will be totally beneficial. I hate seeing her health continue to digress because of weight gain. I'm reaching out for any wisdom.

Thanks!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The first, last and only step needed to attack weight gain is a sensible diet. What is her current eating condition?
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You should give water exercises a try. No impact and she may be able to burn a ton of calories this way.

Just have her get into the pool and do leg movements or whatever she can manage.

Like Mr_Knight said....her diet is going to be the core of her weight loss.

However, she is probably going to benefit from some exercise. I would see water exercises as a great way to accomplish this.

I want to give you a huge pat on the back. It's great to see you here seeking advice. I wish you the best.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Join a gym or YMCA with a pool. That will be easy on her pain. Best of luck!
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above.
    Manage food choices first, then try a heated pool. Easy on the joints and you can join her in the pool to support/assist as needed.

Your so great for reaching out and wanting to help her. If shes not already seeing one, a therapist might help get past any mental roadblocks she may have from feeling so incapacitated.

Good luck!
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The above suggestions are good, but I would also consult with her PCP and Neurologist to make sure that whatever exercise she does is going to be within her capabilities and okay for her to do without further aggravating her condition. I would also think she could get some Physical Therapy through insurance or through disability for a short time as well.
  • angellover1974
    angellover1974 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have EDS which restricts my mobility, I'm wheelchair bound most of the time when I walk it's always with sticks. I started MFP in April and have lost 41 pound purely by counting calories, I hit my first goal and because it's going so well have lowered my goal weight again. It can be done without excersise! Good luck to you and your wife :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would agree with some what was said before diet first, get some pounds shedding first.

Does her arthritis affect her entire body or just certain joints.

I am also 44 & suffer from an auto immune disease that attacks all my joints and my organs in my body. I'm in pain 24/7 & it usually takes me 20 minutes to get out of bed and move. I walked with a cane until last year.

I lost twenty pound in my first two months through diet and biking, enough that would let me attempt to run. Then I lost another 10 lbs the next month. I ran 175 miles just last month alone. I should be around 1000 miles for the year.

The lost weight helped immensely on my joints and lessened the pain.

I hope she finds some good advice, perhaps from here or a doctor that might assist her in living a life that is less hardening on the body and soul.
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank yo for all of the great advice and encouraging words. I have never even thought about water exercising. We both love being in the pool! I'll give it a try. With regard to diet, she doesn't eat horribly, but she could rein it in a bit, expecially on the sweet treats. She has tried to join me in my dieting efforts, but I am a different kind of animal. My resolve is pretty strong, and I don't sway easily, if at all. Her will bends with ease to Starbucks and Turtles! LOL! I will start encouraging her in the area of diet and see how that goes for a while, and then slowly introduce exercise that she can handle. You all are great!!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice. If you both set out to log all of your food and if she eats at a calorie deficit consistently, she will lose as much weight as she needs to lose. She has to stick with it though. And it also helps to manage temptation by not bringing tempting foods into the house in the first place. Exercise your willpower at the grocery store, and you won't have to exercise it in the middle of the night in front of the refrigerator. Only keep low-calorie, low temptation snacks around, for when you really are hungry, and not just bored.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add an echo of the advice to see medical input before she tries exercise. Might not hurt to get advice about diet either as there may be certain foods/nutrients she should be getting more of or avoiding to help her condition. Best of luck!