Breakfast help/general diet

Options
I'm in college, and I don't have that much money to spend, so I'm trying to keep it on my meal plan, or under 2 dollars. I don't eat this everyday, but since I started waking up early to run before class, I have time to head over to another cafeteria at my school where they have oatmeal. This is what I put it in

-About half a cup to 3/4 cup of oatmeal
-About 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
-About 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips
-A little less than a handful of cinnamon covered walnuts
-Sprinkle of coconut flakes

The reason I'm asking is because I made this one and it was A) delicious B) Held me until I was able to have lunch. I have breakfast at around 9 and have lunch at around 1-1:30 because I have class back to back and C) was $1.45

However, I don't want to counteract the hard work I'm doing of getting up every morning and exercising for an hour and then ruin it.

The rest of the day, for lunch I have a salad with beans for protein, and then for dinner I'll have a salad again, maybe with grilled chicken (I'm contemplating going back to vegetarianism). I snack on an apple or a banana, both with honey almond butter, or some nuts.

Before anyone asks, I make sure I reach my calorie goal.

Replies

• fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? To lose weight?
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs. 12 eggs are $1.50 and bacon is about $4 a pack. Divide that by 7. Cheap!
  • goldenvulture
    Options
    Yes my goal is to lose weight. I want to lose around 40-50 pounds in about 8-9 months

I also don't have a proper stove top or an actual pan to cook those eggs (which cost 2.69 here) and bacon, just saying...
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    As long as you're meeting your calorie goal, you're fine. You can dress up your oatmeal any way you want as long as you count the calories of everything you put in. Just make sure you are weighing or measuring accurately to ensure you calorie amounts are right.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Why would having that for breakfast counteract the work you're doing?

Count what you eat, eat to your goals = weight loss!
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    you should log your food as best you can in mfp to see how the calories add up and whether this fits within your macros. Even if you are not able to weigh everything on a scale the way you have described it in your original post is something you will be able to log in your food diary. Personally I would want a bit more protein in the morning (e.g. a side of scrambled eggs, or some greek yogurt), but if this holds you until lunch then it probably does work for you.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    thats a pretty good breakfast in my opinion - and if your from of exercise is running, you need the slow release carbs from the oats. You could always add a scoop of protein powder to make it more balanced and to increase your protein amount for the day.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If you like it and it fits into your calorie goal eat it! If anything I might buy some protein powder and add it to the oatmeal. You can portion out the protein powder it ziplocs before hand and take them with you to the dining hall.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    I'm not sure what the set up there is, but if there's a fridge you can use then overnight oats is amazing. You measure your oats, add your milk (any kind; almond, coconut, soy) and add whatever else you want, all in a sealed container placed in the fridgeand then the next day you eat it. The oats absorbs more and it's fluffier. (you can warm it if you don't like it cold.) Adding berries and banana to oats is also amazing and oats is really good for you which is a plus! :)
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you have a microwave in your room, consider getting a carton of egg whites to add some protein. You can easily cook egg whites in a coffee mug in the microwave.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty good breakfast to me. About 300 calories, 11 grams of protein. Eating calories after a run isn't "ruining" your hard work, it's giving your body the fuel it needs to function. Of course your 300 calories of oatmeal is much better for your body than 300 calories of donut. :) I try to eat as much protein as I can because I find it keeps me going longer. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are great for protein. Good luck!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the set up there is, but if there's a fridge you can use then overnight oats is amazing. You measure your oats, add your milk (any kind; almond, coconut, soy) and add whatever else you want, all in a sealed container placed in the fridgeand then the next day you eat it. The oats absorbs more and it's fluffier. (you can warm it if you don't like it cold.) Adding berries and banana to oats is also amazing and oats is really good for you which is a plus! :)

Definitely trying this!
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    looks like a good breakfast I'd add a banana and maybe reduce the syrup and choc chips as others said a scoop of protein powder may be good after exercising
  • goldenvulture
    Options
    Thank you! I'm thinking of getting some eggs on the side to add protein like someone said above. I appreciate the help