Canned beans

Options
avskk
avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
Tonight I opened a can of cannellini beans (serving size 130g, servings per container 3.5), rinsed them, cooked them in water with seasoning, drained them, and... weighed the entire can as 200g. I am so confused! An entire can is meant to be 3.5 servings and approximately 585kcal, but 130g is supposed to be a single 100kcal serving. I know labels and weights can be off, but that's well outside the much-touted 20% margin of error. Am I doing something wrong? I'd love to hear that I can eat the whole can of beans for ~200kcal but I'm pretty skeptical.

Replies

• avskk
    Options
    Bumping for curiosity. Anyone?.. Bueller?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The serving size includes the liquid from the can. If it says 3.5 servings, you divide the 200 grams to get the weight of your portion.
  • avskk
    Options
    I know the weight of my portion. I don't know the calories it contains without the liquid.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    For beans, I always use MFP's official entry. It should be under "Beans, cannellini, cooked" or something like that. Find that and weigh your beans, drained. If I want the liquid as well, I just add that back after I've weighed the beans themselves. I figure it can't have many calories. That's what I do anyway...I'm not sure if that's exactly right or not.
  • avskk
    Options
    Aha! I was searching the database wrong -- I looked for permutations of "beans, cannellini, canned" (followed by drained, rinsed, cleaned, etc.). Thanks!