Trying To Save My Life

Options
Hello everyone,

My name is Sammie and I am 23 years old, almost 24. I have been overweight for a very long time now. I has sadly gotten to the point where i have developed type 2 diabetes. It was also recently found that I have developed a fatty liver. I have had enough. Not only do i hate what i see in the mirror on a daily basis but i am literally starting to kill myself from over eating and consuming extremely unhealthy food. I work at a hospital as a Medical Assistant, so I am on my feet for a good part of the day. This really should not be considered exercise. I need to improve on becoming more active once i get home from work. I have tried to diet so many times in the past, but i have never achieved any type of success. Sadly now I am getting closer and closer to the point of life or death. I need to change my way and i need help. I am not sure of healthy receipes to use because believe it or not I am a picky eater. I also need tip on exercise i can do without going to a gym. Any tips or advice will help significantly. I need help!

Replies

• jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on taking the first steps to make changes in your life! Second, feel free to add me as I am also a picky eater. I also don't go to the gym, but exercise at home.
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can start off taking a walk everyday. If you can only walk for a short distance that's okay. You can add a minute or two and work your way up to a hour. I would also recommend a strength training program two or three days a week. You don't have to go to a gym to get in a good workout. There are many exercises that you can do with just your body weight. Look on the internet. Good luck with your weight lose.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If you can't make it to a gym for whatever reasons, you can do some strength training with body-weight exercises. Squats, lunges, push-ups, situps. You can also get free workout videos on youtube ... Fitness Blender is pretty decent, and Jillian Michaels has her 30 day shred program up there.

As far as recipes for 'healthier' eating ... eh, can't help you there. I still eat the same crap I always did, I just eat less of it. I'm working on eating more protein and fewer carbs (trying to do a 40/30/30 macro split), so I'd love to see what others are posting.

Congrats on the first steps, and don't give up! Even a lb. a week is better than a gain, so keep pushing through. Don't overly restrict yourself either. That's a fast track to quitting
  • yourieann
    yourieann Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi dear u can do this just start by doing 20_ 30minutes of that u love like jumping jack,dancing skipping walking anything that u enjoy.take it one day at a time,set small goal.
  • DeniseBarone
    DeniseBarone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You will find support here.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Add me. I will try to be supportive even though I have too many friends. Just message me all the time.. I'll keep in touch. Don't worry about the gym! Walk!!!!!!! Walking is the best.Find somewhere nice and if you have some music that is even better.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision. I too started with insulin resistance (borderline diabetes), fatty liver, high blood pressure, along with an inactive thyroid. Do not expect fast results. All those posts you read like " lost 100bs in 6 months" are not typical. You didn't gain in 6 months, don't expect to lose it that fast. 1-2 lbs a week is a healthy loss. As far as exercise. Walking is fantastic. I started out walking 1 mile which just about killed me. If you live where it's cold like I do, try a Lesline Sansone Walk at home DVD. There are also many other DVDS out there. One using a resistance band would get some strength training in. Many people recommend Jillian michaels DVDs. They are tuff but you can keep up best you can and you will see improvement with time. I actually will buy me exercise DVDs as a reward for weight loss. I get bored easy and like variety.
    As for your diet. Try starting out avoiding sugar and white flour. Record your calories and you should see improvement. I would also recommend taking a class for diabetics. They are very helpful.
  • SammieMozi1990
    Options
    Thank you! Working in the health field and dealing with patient who have been diagnosed with some of the same issues that i have if actually helpful. I can use some of the same advice that the physicians i work for give the patients. I was referred to an Diabetes Institute by my doctor. I agree that walking is a good idea. I just do not live in the best (safest) area. So i may have to figure out another option.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Good for you in taking the first step. I would recommend starting slow/ one thing at a time. Cut out the sodas, processed foods, candy. Try that for a while then add some walking. No need for a gym right away, but they are great motivators. Just keep adding exercise as you can.

Your diet/food is the most important. IMO Research some web sites for recipes, look for ones that you can pick the foods you like for recipes. allrecipe.com is what I use.

Remember, this will take a while, trial and error, patience's, you will have good days and bad days. Just don't give up... YOU can do it !!!! OH and of course check out Success Stories on MFP. They are Great !!! Best of Luck.
  • Shautzee
    Shautzee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammie- you can do this! Like you, I was on a track to killing myself slowly. My advise is to take simple steps, don't make it complicated or overwhelming- just start "moving" and track your diet.

Don't hide from yourself ( I was big at downplaying or ignoring how much I was really eating)-list all your foods out....just seeing what I was eating and taking accountability for it helped me get started. (for instance- I ate nearly 1 quart of Rocky Road Ice Cream per night....when I was faced with listing it on myfitnesspal, I was embarrassed and didn't want to, so I stopped eating it) I started by just making sure I had more calories burned than I ate.....then very gradually I changed my diet to one that is balanced and healthy for the most part. It took time though, the changes came slowly and I had to learn to cook along the way. You can find good recipes on this site. Now I don't buy anything that I can't identify the ingredients for.

As for exercise I simply started walking- did not join any gyms. First on flat ground for a 1/2 mile- then 1, then 2... then 3-5; eventually I introduced some hills and then a few months later I started hiking. I remember the first time I made it to the top of small peak in our area- I cried! This was over the time period of about 1 year. I listened to music or audio books to pass the time. I won't allow excuses....I move 5 days per week, period! rain or shine!

I was hypertensive, but am no longer. My joints no longer hurt or ache! My Cholesterol is 145 (down from 239), My quality of life is so much better I can't even describe how great it is. I lost over 100 lbs and I have now maintained it for well over 2 years.

You took the first step- that's big! Diets can be extreme and are often hard to maintain- I also failed to lose and maintain weight loss on specific diets. For me keeping it simple and making the changes gradually and as I learned helped. Take a step each day- it doesn't have to be big or radical. Eventually, all those steps lead to change and success. If you have a bad day and slip up, don't let it be an excuse for the next day....just simply get back to it!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammie. When I started this I weighed 386 pounds. The weight loss you see posted here is 2 1/2 years of effort and I'm not done yet. You have the right idea of changing eating habits and adding exercise. If you don't work or live in an area you can walk in, walk the halls at work for part of your lunch hour. I can't afford a gym either, so I do pilates at home, it's considered strength training because you use your own body weight as resistance. I also like to crank the tunes and dance (when I'm alone that is). You can really work up a sweat dancing. :laugh:

I am now off the blood pressure medication and no longer in the beginning stages of diabetis. It takes time, but if I can make these changes at age 54 (when I started, 56 now) you can do this at half my age. Hang in there girl! You can do this! It won't be easy, but then nothing that's worth while is ever easy.
  • just__ducky
    Options
    Most hospitals (at least around here,) have stairs (that hardy anyone uses) and lots of hallways. Use these as a safe place to get in your walks before & after work. Instead of doing all 5 flights at once, I would go up a couple flights down some halls up some more flights around a few more hallways then do the same going down. Making a big zig-zag, up & down circle at work on my breaks.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammie, firstly it's great that you're reaching out for support. I'm sure you will find plenty of that here, the people really seem to care about one another (though if you don't like the tone of some of the posters you can also easily block them! Haha)

The very first thing I think I would suggest you do, it to start detailed and honest logging of everything you consume each day; meals, snacks, drinks, nibbles, the lot. Once you've got a full and detailed analysis of what you're putting into your body you'll see where the major changes need to be and you can start to work from there. Even just going through honestly logging everything can help to keep you mindful and aware of what you're doing. That's the first step to gaining control.

Second be prepared for a long and potentially challenging journey. While it may be a breeze for some, for most of us it will take commitment and determination to work our way back to optimum health and wellbeing. But you have the rest of your life to gain and nothing but excess fat to lose. There are lots of people working on the same goals as you here, take heart from their journeys and go and check out the Success Stories for inspiration, you should see the amazing changes some of the members here have made in their lives through hard work and determination.

I really wish you all the best.