Reasons why women should lift????

Options

Replies

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just tell her you do it because you enjoy it and it makes you happy. That should be enough :flowerforyou:
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
  • JTick
    Options
    My mom isn't going to STOP me from lifting, no matter what she says. There's no worry there. But, I really would like for her to understand WHY I do it, and how accomplished it makes me feel. Especially since I had to leave my main hobby for several different reasons, and this is my new hobby. If I ever went to a powerlifting competition, I'd want her to understand what was going on so that she could be there and support me. She doesn't need to necessarily agree, but I would love for her to get to the point where she's really happy for me and able to cheer me on.

IDK, I guess deep down most everyone wants their parent's approval.
  • NovaStar82
    Options
    My mother's first comment when I told her I was starting with weights?
    'Well you won't get TOO muscular, will you?'

I mean - I've got a long ways to go before my fat gives way to definition, but seriously...?
    No amount of trying to discuss it with her would make her see that it's actually one of the best things to do when losing weight so I've stopped trying, in the hope that my results will speak for themselves.

(On a side note, my mum's idea of a reasonable amount of exercise is walking the neighbour's dog once or twice a week and 'cutting down' on food just involves smaller meal portions - nothing about cutting out the snacks and treats she allows herself in between... :noway: )
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My mom isn't going to STOP me from lifting, no matter what she says. There's no worry there. But, I really would like for her to understand WHY I do it, and how accomplished it makes me feel. Especially since I had to leave my main hobby for several different reasons, and this is my new hobby. If I ever went to a powerlifting competition, I'd want her to understand what was going on so that she could be there and support me. She doesn't need to necessarily agree, but I would love for her to get to the point where she's really happy for me and able to cheer me on.

tell her to google that *kitten* and be done with it.

Information is beyond free at this point- you'd choke on it if it was a fluid- we are drowning in it.

I hate people who cant' be bothered to google the simplist of things. Seriously. It really REALLY makes me angry. why- I don't know- but it does.

That being said- she doesn't need to UNDERSTAND what you are doing- she can show up and cheer you on regardless- my mom supports me in a lot of things I do- I am a dancer- a trainer a rider an engineer. She doesn't understand half that stuff- but she supports me anyway.

My BF doesn't get my dancing- like at all. He told me the other day when I was so upset I wasn't doing well- he goes- some people just aren't meant to do things... some people cant' play musical instruments. (part of my dance involves playing instruments as well) and it was so frustrating- because i want him to be the one to tell me " you can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it" but he is to pragmatic- so I said thanks and that was that. Shrug- he does the best he can but it'll never be his thing.

just send her to google- show her pictures of strong women of ALL types and call it a day. Seriously. You have enough crap to deal with as far as getting work done- why waste time trying to convince someone of something they don't care about.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Which is completely understandable.

However, you have clearance from your Doctor which makes me wonder if that isn't good enough to convince her what a random bunch of links from punters on the internet will do in changing her mind.

I don't think you can really convince someone who isn't open to being convinced. If anything trying to do so pushes them even further the other way. The older they get the more set in their ways they become and the even harder it is!

Do your thing. Be safe. Get results. If anything your success may do more to change her mind than anything else.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My mom is supportive overall, but she doesn't understand lifting either. She doesn't get why it's so important to me. But here's the thing: she's not obligated to understand it or to like it just because I do. All I need her to do is not nag me about it. If I ever competed, sure, I'd want her to be there to support me, and she would be. She doesn't have to be a powerlifting expert to enjoy watching her daughter do something that makes her happy.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    We DO NOT need our mums approval. My mum is 70 tomorrow. She is over the moon I don't want flabby arms and getting to the gym with a PT for the first time ever. That PT is not ready for me...
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The same reason everyone should. Increases bone density; strengthens connective tissue; a stronger body is a more useful body. Old women that are against it are the same ones who have complain about mugs being too heavy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My mom is supportive overall, but she doesn't understand lifting either. She doesn't get why it's so important to me. But here's the thing: she's not obligated to understand it or to like it just because I do. All I need her to do is not nag me about it. If I ever competed, sure, I'd want her to be there to support me, and she would be. She doesn't have to be a powerlifting expert to enjoy watching her daughter do something that makes her happy.

bam- much shorter than what I said- totally spot on.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The same reason everyone should. Increases bone density; strengthens connective tissue; a stronger body is a more useful body. Old women that are against it are the same ones who have complain about mugs being too heavy.

All of this.

I don't know if showing studies will make her understand, but some other logic might help, too:

Why should I have to rely on a man to do something like carry the 30-50lb bag of dog food (or the 25lb turkey, 10lb sack of potatoes, and 5lbs of sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner) from the car into the house?
    Why should I have to rely on a man to move the couch or dinning room table so that the floor under it can be vacuumed?
    Why should I live in fear that, when I get older, I'll break bones simply by falling down (not even something like falling out of a tree or off a ladder)?
    Why should I accept the idea that, when I get older, there may come a day when I can't even get out of bed or off a chair without someone's help, because my muscles simply aren't strong enough to do the work anymore?
    Why should I have to suffer from back pain, weak knees or ankles, joint pain, or inflexibility, even while I'm young?

Why should I accept any of these, when all it takes to avoid them is by simply doing some amount of strength training? It's one thing to need someone's help because a given item is too large and bulky for a single person to carry safely, or it just makes the task more efficient. It's a completely different matter to have to rely on someone to do "everyday" things for you, simply because they require lifting more than your purse.

I want to be independent, and I want to stay that way, even when I'm 80+. I want to be without pain, now and in the future. That's why I lift.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

tell her to google that *kitten* and be done with it.

Information is beyond free at this point- you'd choke on it if it was a fluid- we are drowning in it.

I hate people who cant' be bothered to google the simplist of things. Seriously. It really REALLY makes me angry. why- I don't know- but it does.

That being said- she doesn't need to UNDERSTAND what you are doing- she can show up and cheer you on regardless- my mom supports me in a lot of things I do- I am a dancer- a trainer a rider an engineer. She doesn't understand half that stuff- but she supports me anyway.

My BF doesn't get my dancing- like at all. He told me the other day when I was so upset I wasn't doing well- he goes- some people just aren't meant to do things... some people cant' play musical instruments. (part of my dance involves playing instruments as well) and it was so frustrating- because i want him to be the one to tell me " you can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it" but he is to pragmatic- so I said thanks and that was that. Shrug- he does the best he can but it'll never be his thing.

just send her to google- show her pictures of strong women of ALL types and call it a day. Seriously. You have enough crap to deal with as far as getting work done- why waste time trying to convince someone of something they don't care about.

I get what you're saying here, but my Momma is in her 60's and has NO CLUE how to use technology even though she has worked with computers her whole life. So while telling her to just Google it would get her no where, if she could have it in her hand and read it, she would absorb it. Plus... the older generation (at least the ones I know around here) have VERY little faith in anything they read on the internet. But you give them a pamphlet or a book and that stuff is getting read.

OP, I hope you're able to find some good links and good info and maybe even some books or pamphlets to help in your quest. My Mom was nervous at first but then realized... I'm very, VERY rarely helpless. And that is when it clicked for her. I've been away from lifting for quite some time, but I am still stronger than a lot of women and I don't mind one bit. Explain to her how you feel confident, strong, and like you aren't helpless and give her the info. Some 'old dogs' can be taught new things. :smile: GOOD LUCK!
  • JTick
    Options

I get what you're saying here, but my Momma is in her 60's and has NO CLUE how to use technology even though she has worked with computers her whole life. So while telling her to just Google it would get her no where, if she could have it in her hand and read it, she would absorb it. Plus... the older generation (at least the ones I know around here) have VERY little faith in anything they read on the internet. But you give them a pamphlet or a book and that stuff is getting read.

OP, I hope you're able to find some good links and good info and maybe even some books or pamphlets to help in your quest. My Mom was nervous at first but then realized... I'm very, VERY rarely helpless. And that is when it clicked for her. I've been away from lifting for quite some time, but I am still stronger than a lot of women and I don't mind one bit. Explain to her how you feel confident, strong, and like you aren't helpless and give her the info. Some 'old dogs' can be taught new things. :smile: GOOD LUCK!

Thanks! I'm thinking she'll loosen up with time...I've been at it about a year now and haven't hurt myself yet *knock on wood*. I was hurting myself left and right when I was more active with the horses...if anything she should be happy I've replaced that hobby with a safer one!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for ages. When my mom had abdominal surgery a couple of years ago and needed someone to stay with her to help get her in and out of bed, I stayed with her. Not my sister, not my brother-in-law, not my hubby (then BF). Me. Because I was the only one physically strong enough to do it (well...hubby has the arm strength, but has a back injury from the military, so he can't lift someone in/out of bed).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm counting on my MFP peeps to help me out here!

I'm all for women lifting, and I'm especially all for women lifting heavy. However, my mom comes from a prior generation where women were mostly expected to be soft and round and lift nothing heavier than a sammich. She *tries* to support my lifting, but just about had a cow when I excitedly told her yesterday that I had PR'ed my squat at 205.

I have specifically asked my doctor about women lifting, and she is all for it provided I use proper form and take things slow to build my weights up gradually (duh!). This still isn't enough to convince my mom though! I've told her how lifting is good for osteoporosis prevention, etc...nope, still not good. She continues to think that a "woman isn't meant to lift like a man".

Does anyone have some good links to scientific literature that details why a woman should lift heavy? I'm really tired of her telling me my uterus is going to plop out on the floor if I lift a barbell!

Well you could point to the women who lift while pregnant with Dr approval. But really your Uterus will not pop out from lifting, nor will it fall out when you run a marathon.

Women are not meant to lift like a man, they are meant to lift like women! Generally that means, our legs are stronger than a man's legs, so by default we should be able to lift more doing squats. The only other problem with women lifting is that hormones do make our joints more likely to be overextended, which is why proper form is important!

Oh and my mom can't believe I can curl 15lbs and press 20lb dumbbells (hurt myself, upper back and shoulders so I have to be extra careful, took me 5 years to get back up there and now I have pain again, damn)
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Mom's are mom's and you aren't going to change them. Just show her the results... you look better, you are stronger and toner, and it makes you happy. She will hopefully get on board eventually. Just throwing this out there-are you using a belt when you lift heavy? I didn't see you wearing one in your profile pic.