What to use instead of tortillas?

Options
I've switched from bread to tortillas for my lunch but I'm wondering if there is something better I could be using?

Replies

• sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use Arnolds wheat rounds. Good amount of fiber and no artificial sweeteners. 100 calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've switched from bread to tortillas for my lunch but I'm wondering if there is something better I could be using?

Corn chips
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by better - less calories, more fiber, more flavorful?

I personally like Flat Out wraps (multi-grain w/ flax) or Arnold sandwich thins (multi grain or 100% whole wheat).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    "Better" in what way? What need are you finding that tortillas don't meet?
  • badgerdh
    badgerdh Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    La Bandita makes a tortilla that is only 80 calories. Search around for whole wheat low calorie options
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you are making a wrap try using lettuce (romain or something similar) instead of the tortilla; it really cuts down the calories and carbs.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    would a lettuce wrap work?
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't like many sandwiches (I like meat, bread, and cheese, just not all together). What about putting the sandwich fixings over some lettuce or baby spinach?
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    As an Asian, I use rice wraps for all of my wraps. http://www.inspiredtaste.net/13004/how-to-buy-and-use-rice-paper-wrappers/
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I second a lower calorie tortilla. Here's a key, though: compare the sodium in your "healthy" tortillas. Some poorly made ones substitute salt for their lack of flavor, and more salt (and the subsequent water-retention) isn't going to do you or anyone any favors.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I like making sandwiches with french toast.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    The people saying 'lettuce' - why?

I'm not arguing it. I just find that when I do a sandwich with a Sandwich skinny, tortilla, or wheat bread, my calories line up really nicely for the meal...using lettuce instead, I'd be looking at a 170-300 cal lunch which is pretty low for me (1,410 daily calories right now).
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like Jossph's Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Pitas. 50 Cals, 1 g fat, 7 carbs and 3 fiber for one pita (and they are BIG)! These are my go-to to replace bread when I am low carbing. You can also make pita chips out of them. I LOVE them!! You can get them at Wal-Mart in the deli area. $2-something a bag of 8.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you are making a wrap try using lettuce (romain or something similar) instead of the tortilla; it really cuts down the calories and carbs.

lettuce sucks, yo
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I too use tortillas instead of bread much of the time. I have tried many of the lower calorie versions. Some are definitely better than others. My favorite is the La Tortilla Factory whole wheat, only 80 calories for a good-size one. They can be hard to find. Costco sometimes carries the mondo pack, which I divide up into smaller ziploc bags and freeze. Trader Joe's carries a version of these also.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Rye bread causes less of an insulin spike than even whole wheat breads- 70 calories and delicious. Whole wheat pita bread is also good. About 80 calories and you can stuff them with yummy goodness.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I use slices of cheese :love:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For either bread or tortillas, I just look for something high fiber. I saw a recommendation once that said to look for products where the fiber is at least a 1:10 ratio with total carbs. So if the bread has 30g carbs, it should have at least 3g fiber.

I like Flat Out brand wraps instead of tortillas because they are not completely round and the little extra length allows me to stuff more greens in my sandwiches. And they are only 90-100 calories.
  • jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If I am trying to keep the carbs down, I will use egg white tortillas.

If I am trying to keep the calories down, I will use butter lettuce leaves.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Romaine lettuce leaf