What to wear running in the dark?

Options
I live in the country and tried to take up running a couple of months ago but now it's dark the whole time I have any time to run and with few streetlights my runs are very limited!

What do you wear? (photos appreciated if you have them)

Replies

• dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a reflective vest and also a head lamp - can get both at running or even camping store. Also, your phone if you have one in case you run into any issues
  • spartyhawk
    Options
    well you can buy reflective belts that work for all teh time i wear mine when i go running just to be more visable
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There are reflective vests and belts you can get at running stores and online.

Some running tights and shoes also have reflective bits on them.

Running with a flashligjt in hand or a headlamp will help drivers notice you as well.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to live out in the middle of nowhere, and it was pitch black. I didn't run. I didn't even go for walks. But that is purely due to the neighbor's German Shepard that would run and chase you down the road!! Ahh the country.
    I would make sure to wear gear that has a lot of reflectors on it, you need to be seen by motorists. Also, take a flashlight with you and a cell phone just in case. Fanny pack it.
    Good luck!!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    A nice head lamp and reflective vest or jacket. If you can get a flashing light on your back, it will also help while running on the roads.

You can never have too much reflective gear.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Headlamp and reflective gear.

Underneath, same thing as I would wear if it was cold & bright. Running (or compression) tights/capris, loose shorts/tracksuit bottoms, long-sleeve compression top, hoodie/jacket, and a good pair of running shoes.

I never wear a hat, it's a good way to lose excess heat when you're running.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I dont run but I cycle at night from time to time and wear reflective clothing and have reflective tape on my bike. I also have a flashing light on the back and front of my bike as well.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Headtorch and a Hi Viz bib (cost me £3)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    All of the above. And I wear a cheap on flashing light on the back. Got it at a bike store.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions...I'd just add one thing...if you tend to have close calls on the road, I wouldn't run at all on it. It'd be better to drive to a school/gym & run the track, or to a well lit suburb or road w/sidewalks. We live sort of in the country & I see people walking, running, and/or biking on a road that's a single (fairly narrow) lane in each direction, w/deep ditches on the sides of the road. Multiple people have been killed on the road. Some of the athletes sort of have an in-your-face attitude about it, that it's their RIGHT to be on that road. Legally that may be true, but your family won't care about legalities if they lose you. Not long ago I read about a mom who ran on a road like this...she was hit by a car & killed, left behind a husband & 3 young kids.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have enough streetlights to avoid needing a head lamp, but I wear reflective clothing AND I have two "arm" bands with flashing red lights that I acutally wear below both knees. One faces forward, one faces backwards.

For me, the low lighting makes it easier for me to catch an edge in the pavement and fall flat on my face. It's happened. Be sure you have enough visibility to stay vertical!!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wear nothing. Trust me, everyone will notice you.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Wear nothing. Trust me, everyone will notice you.

Especially if you're really really pale like I am!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Here is everything I wear head to toe on runs, with pictures for ya since you asked

Head lamp:
    PT213-BL-thumb.jpg
    I wear this on every night run, whether on the side walk or on the street. I like to be seen and to see as well, so this is a must for me. This one is nice because it has 3 settings, bright, dim (for if you are in a group or something like that) and flashing.

Reflective or bright shirt.
    NWFMCR-AP-thumb.jpg
    Notice the brightness of the shirt (NOT BLACK!) and the reflective brand marking that will illuminate when light hits it. Look for those little reflectors when buying clothing to run in.

Reflective water bottle.
    CAMQG12-SD-thumb.jpg
    Notice again the reflective brand marking and reflective markings on the tightening strap.

Ankle bands.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7BzFq-dP8nDaZbRffCsaYGPmBF35aH779fQorBNUKHn2H3yqHfpPBWw
    I sometimes wear these, sometimes not. Depends on where I am running, amount of traffic, etc...

Flashers on each foot.
    AMSCCL-GN-thumb.jpg
    This is actually another headlamp, but it works as a flasher on my shoe now since I upgraded to the headlamp above.
    5071NSS_StrobeLight_SulphurSpring_NW.jpg?itok=-dE6M-3g
    This is awesome. Has two strobe settings and one steady setting.

RoadID.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm_aYUoYMxwOqJFhaC_M1QB66uevGgdRksIuzRi5YtPn6oNBCsvsoaCy8
    But I have that on all the time day or night. Tip, if you don't want to spend that much on this, go to the pet store and get a dog tag and put your info on it and then attach to your shoe.

ETA:

The local running store here had a Brooks reflective gear night with a rep that came and talked about being seen on the roads. He made some very good points to always have two different colors of flashing or steady lights and to have reflection on moving parts because the human eye is drawn to movement easier than to steady streams. Made sense to me so passing it on.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions...I'd just add one thing...if you tend to have close calls on the road, I wouldn't run at all on it. It'd be better to drive to a school/gym & run the track, or to a well lit suburb or road w/sidewalks. We live sort of in the country & I see people walking, running, and/or biking on a road that's a single (fairly narrow) lane in each direction, w/deep ditches on the sides of the road. Multiple people have been killed on the road. Some of the athletes sort of have an in-your-face attitude about it, that it's their RIGHT to be on that road. Legally that may be true, but your family won't care about legalities if they lose you. Not long ago I read about a mom who ran on a road like this...she was hit by a car & killed, left behind a husband & 3 young kids.

Agreed... Find a safer place to run.
    6 cyclists killed in our area recently. Not worth the risk if there are ready alternatives.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I use a reflective vest & clip my rear bike light onto the back of the vest. My laces are also reflective & of course my phone strapped on my arm. My daughter also just made me a glow in the dark hair clip
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    What to wear running in the dark?

tumblr_lmdlwwLI6w1qd6azv.jpg

Also, a headlamp, a flashing reflector, the skin of my victims

http://www.rei.com/category/40006352
    http://www.rei.com/product/842482/amphipod-vizlet-flashing-led-reflectors-yellow-package-of-2.