Skinny Fat where do I go from here?

Options
I'm a 5'7 140 lb male who is the very definition of skinny fat. In about a 6 month period I dropped to my current weight from 190 lbs by drastically decreasing my diet and exercising more than I ever did in my life. Problem is my lower body looks absolutely horrible while my arms, chest, upper back are all very skinny. I'm really disgusted as most of my fat sags off my butt into my thighs standing, when I lay or sit flat all this extra flab hangs off those areas and my stomach isn't huge but flabby.

Recently I got a new job where I'm sitting on my butt all day and it's not making anything better only worse. I am very confused what to do. I was thinking I should drop to 130 lbs but I'm afraid I'll look like a ww2 survivor. Ughhhhh I just am so confused and need advice

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You know what to do.you need to hit the weights my friend! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Can you do 10 pushups?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You know what to do.you need to hit the weights my friend! :)

And eat a surplus to pack on some muscle.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and do weight training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat all the food, and start lifting heavy stuff....
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I thought it said Skinny feet. I was like finally, someone who understands.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's time to hit the weights, my friend.
  • nklp
    nklp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah, try hard to start building muscle and increase your calorie intake slowly, stocking up on protein :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    SS + GOMAD
  • tbrick91
    Options
    Can you do 10 pushups?

I'm around 60 push-ups before I tire and have been doing some light at home weight lifting, squats and lunges for about a week. During my weight loss period I was also running 3 miles 4x a week but can only do that when the weather allows me now.

Do you have any suggestions on what exercises I should be doing at home?
  • foomachi
    foomachi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree that weight training is probably a good idea, but you might also consider if you are getting adequate nutrition. It is completely possible to reduce calorie intake (and thereby lose weight), but not be giving your body the nutrients it needs to keep in good shape. Protein has been mentioned, but there are many other things that your body needs. Are you eating lots of whole fruits and vegetables? Avoiding flour, sugar, and processed foods?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I agree that weight training is probably a good idea, but you might also consider if you are getting adequate nutrition. It is completely possible to reduce calorie intake (and thereby lose weight), but not be giving your body the nutrients it needs to keep in good shape. Protein has been mentioned, but there are many other things that your body needs. Are you eating lots of whole fruits and vegetables? Avoiding flour, sugar, and processed foods?

As long as he is hitting his macro nutrients, why avoid flour, sugar or processed foods?

OP, do you have gym equipment at home?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Go Directly to the weight room, do not pass go, do not collect $200, unless it is to pay for access to the weight room.*

*=You should probably read up on some sort of plan, and or seek advise on what to do in the weight room first.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm around 60 push-ups before I tire and have been doing some light at home weight lifting, squats and lunges for about a week. During my weight loss period I was also running 3 miles 4x a week but can only do that when the weather allows me now.

Interesting. That isn't the typical profile for "skinny fat", who tend to be physically weak. In fact, even most MFPers who are doing lifting can't bang out 60 pushups.
  • tbrick91
    Options

As long as he is hitting his macro nutrients, why avoid flour, sugar or processed foods?

I have dumbbells up to 25lbs, exercise ball and exercise bike. Can you recommend anything beneficial to do with those at home?

Thanks for all the responses so far I don't feel as bad anymore and am really starting to get the idea of what needs to be done.
  • tbrick91
    Options

Interesting. That isn't the typical profile for "skinny fat", who tend to be physically weak. In fact, even most MFPers who are doing lifting can't bang out 60 pushups.

I was in a car accident that really messed up my shoulder. Long story short 2 years of therapy on one target area will do that to you :D
  • foomachi
    foomachi Posts: 5 Member
    Options

He could be meeting macro nutrients, and still not getting adequate quantities of any of the other thousands of nutrients a body needs. If all his fats are trans-fats, and there is no fiber or inadequate vitamins and minerals, how is his body going to be healthy?
    Especially if you are on a calorie restricted diet, it can be hard to get adequate nutrition if the bulk of your calories are non-nutritive.

Maybe that isn't the only issue, but it might be a factor.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    "As long as he is hitting his macro nutrients, why avoid flour, sugar or processed foods? "

(Sorry, this is the first time I've posted, and I can't seem to figure out how to quote something properly!)

He could be meeting macro nutrients, and still not getting adequate quantities of any of the other thousands of nutrients a body needs. If all his fats are trans-fats, and there is no fiber or inadequate vitamins and minerals, how is his body going to be healthy?
    Especially if you are on a calorie restricted diet, it can be hard to get adequate nutrition if the bulk of your calories are non-nutritive.

Maybe that isn't the only issue, but it might be a factor.

It would be very difficult to hit your macronutrient goals and still miss on our vitamins and minerals. Lets be realistic here and understand that while some of us eat dirty (to include all the things you recommend against) we still hit our goals to include micronutrients. Many of us are still eating fruits and veggies on top of ice cream and snickers. It's not one or the other... There is NO reason to cut out anything unless you have a medical condition. Cutting flour won't increase results or improve anything.

BTW, there is a quote button at the bottom of the post.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I have dumbbells up to 25lbs, exercise ball and exercise bike. Can you recommend anything beneficial to do with those at home?

Thanks for all the responses so far I don't feel as bad anymore and am really starting to get the idea of what needs to be done.

you can search for starting strength or strong lift 5x5 or even find routines on youtube or bodybuilding.com. 25 lbs will be a bit light. You might want to consider getting some selecttech dumbells or something similar. Also, programs like "you are your own gym" might help until you can get more equipment.