Anyone jog/run intervals regularly?

Options
I've recently started "running"....more like a slooooow jog. My sister-in-law runs 5K's and half marathons regularly and she runs a 5:1 interval, no matter what race she's running. She said that is how her running coach trained her group and they all do it. She's not worn out by the end of her race and she doesn't feel like a bag of broken bones the next day. I tried it this past weekend and actually ran 6 miles! Count 'em....1.2.3.4.5.SIX! I ran 5:1 the entire time. I'm going to do my first 5K in a few weeks and plan on doing it this way.

My question is this...how many people actually run intervals outside of training...like in a 5K or half marathon? Will I look like a goofball doing this? It worked out great for me last weekend. There is NO WAY I would have been able to run 6 miles if I hadn't been using intervals.

Thanks!

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    That's how I run races (10 miles or less). A friend of mine did a marathon this way too. I prefer intervals to jogging continuously. I don't really think about what other people think of me. There are hundreds and usually thousands of people in the races in which I participate, so I doubt I'm on anyone's radar. And if I am, who cares. Let 'em look if they want to look!
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I play soccer. I found hills and intervals to be invaluable with weight training. So I run with intervals all the time except when running long distance with friends. I typically run up to 2 minutes at 9 mph, my back off is 6 mph. I do this on the treadmill and outside. I do get some strange stares in the gym sometimes. Once in a while, I do the full sprints then walk.

Training like that I find long steady very easy now. Most people I see are more steady. I don't care much about running or racing. I do this for sports e.g. soccer and basketball and weight loss
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept... I might try it and see how it works out for me. have you been "training" long or just starting? I only ask because I just started C25k program....
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I do these all the time. For me it helps break up the monotony of running long plus it's more fun.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If you're running on a 1/4th mile track, sprint 1 or both of the straightaways while you are jogging. Even just 4-100 yard sprints for every mile of running is brutal and gets your heart going like nothing else.

If that is too much for you, do a 50 yard sprint for every lap. You'll notice your stamina go up incredibly for when you do a regular, constant jog/run after you get used to putting sprints in there.

But yeah, go ahead and run the roadrace/5k however you want!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    look up jeff galloway. he advocates run/walk intervals.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k10kschedules/

i personally do it and it works well for me. i've done 11 half-marathons, 1 ragnar and 1 tough mudder using intervals. i think you will see all levels at your event, from super fast runners to walkers to mid-pack runners to speed walkers and everything in between, even people doing intervals. have fun!
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I ran myfirst half marathon using 4:1 intervals and it worked well for me. As I got stronger, I switched to running a mile/walking a minute and thats how I have completed most of my races since then (including another half and lots and 5 and 10ks). RIght now I'm trying to get to a place where I can run an entire 5k with no breaks at a decent pace. Right now when I try and run with no walk breaks I have to run.....so......slowly that it feels counterproductive. I have a 5k planned at the end of Jan and I hope to finish it in under 30 mins without walking. Yes, I know that is still incredibly slow but its a heck of a lot faster than I used to run (when one mile felt like the ultimate torture)
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There will be pace bunnies running on intervals at any half-marathon or marathon you do. It is very common. I've run every marathon I've raced using splits.
  • Lunaluna01
    Lunaluna01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use intervals when I'm on the treadmill, keeps it a bit more interesting.

I start of walking for 2 mins at 3.5mph, then jog for 2 mins at 6mph, then run for 1 min at 7.5mph and repeat for however long, 20mins or so then cool down with a bit of walking.

I had been running for about 6 months and didn't feel like I was really progressing that much but as soon as I started interval running I noticed my fitness increase really quickly. I now run for an hour (about 6 miles) on a weekend run with little effort. I don't tend to do intervals on longer runs but there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't if that is what is working for you. :)
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It's certainly not a bad thing! It's enjoyable and can break up the monotony too.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think this is ideal and whatever helps you. When I ran my half marathon and my 10K PB I used intervals 4:1 with the 4 pushing hard and the 1 easing back but all running.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    So is it ok to do intervals everyday ? Normally my intervals are jogging for 3mins , run for 2 mins and run as fast as I possibly can for 1 minute , then repeat ..
    I prefer it to steady state running but I wasn't sure if it was bad to do it everyday
  • postolache
    postolache Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've tried to run (endomondo training for C25k), but after only a minute i get some pain in tibialis anterior muscle on both legs.
    If I walk normally I have no problem. If i walk at a brisk pace, i feel some pain but after 1 mile or so.
    It might be shin splints? or just the body that isn't used with running. Until few weeks ago, all the walking I did on most of the days was from home to car and from car to office :)

So for the moment i will just to walk and try intervals again later after I get to talk to a doctor/trainer.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I ran/walked a marathon, and in fact many people find they can finish faster doing this that plodding along slowly.

Jeff Galloway, a 68-year-old running coach who made his career out of the principle, just finished a 4:09 marathon running for 30 seconds and walking for 15 (how he accelerates and decelerates that quickly I'll never know, I need at least a minute of each!). To find out more and get the right walk/run intervals for your target pace, check out his website:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon-training/
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I ran/walked a marathon, and in fact many people find they can finish faster doing this that plodding along slowly.

Jeff Galloway, a 68-year-old running coach who made his career out of the principle, just finished a 4:09 marathon running for 30 seconds and walking for 15 (how he accelerates and decelerates that quickly I'll never know, I need at least a minute of each!). To find out more and get the right walk/run intervals for your target pace, check out his website:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon-training/

He qualified for Boston with that time!
    I started running with his run-walk-run program about three years ago and I completed three 10K. I get some weird looks, especially when my timer rings to tell me to change pace, but I don't care!
    I'm still a very slow runner and I use 60sec run/40 sec walk intervals. A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to try to run a full 30 minutes without walk breaks and I started c25k. It's fun to try something different, even if it is taking longer than the expected 9 weeks to complete the program. Last Sunday I ran 6K with my first 20 minutes of uninterrupted running: I loved it! My plan now is to finish c25k and then switch back to Galloway using longer running intervals, something like 4:1.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think intervals are important for any running plan, hills and recovery are important as well. I would say if it works for you keep on it!! Whatever can keep you motivated and enjoying running will help to keep you going.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll! Okay, I'm doing it! I'm glad to know this is pretty common b/c it certainly worked well for me.
    Interesting concept... I might try it and see how it works out for me. have you been "training" long or just starting? I only ask because I just started C25k program....

I started the C25K program about 6 weeks ago and I liked it, but I started getting too into my head about having to run the entire 5K continuously. Because I started with C25K I can now run 2 miles on the treadmill and I'm building up, but I don't enjoy it. After I'm done, I think "well, that was fun"...but when I'm doing it I'm hating it. I just keep thinking "when is this song going to end??? THIS is why they are always throwing up on The Biggest Loser!" "I'm gonna throw up" "Seriously...I still have 2 songs to go???"

Last Friday I ran to Walmart and back using 5:1 intervals and clocked 6 miles. I was tired afterwards, but it was actually really enjoyable. The intervals weren't nearly as mentally stressful as continuous running. AND...the weight is FALLING OFF. I had slowed down with my weight loss and I figured that's because I only have about 6 more lbs to go, but the interval training has knocked it back into high gear. On my off days I'm doing 5 miles on the elliptical to help build endurance. 2 miles forward, 1 backward, 1 forward, and then 1 back.

Try the intervals and let me know what you think!
  • kjk65
    kjk65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have run several races from 5K all the way to a half marathon. I use a 2min run and 1 min walk ration for everything. I admit to being more tired at the end of the half marathon than the 5K's but still felt pretty darn good. Never thought I could run 13.1 miles and was very proud with myself at the finish line.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do this too. I started doing it when training for a 10K. Once I hit about 4.5 to 5 miles I started having hip issues. The intervals have prevented this from returning. I play around with my intervals now. For my first half, I did 3:1. I'm doing another half next year and plan to do 5:1 or maybe even 10:1 depending on how my training goes. I run a 5K continuously now, and could probably run a 10K that way too. But, I would prefer not to injure my hip again LOL.

I am definitely faster with intervals, or on a bad day, the same speed.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    look up jeff galloway. he advocates run/walk intervals.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k10kschedules/

i personally do it and it works well for me. I've done 11 half-marathons, 1 ragnar and 1 tough mudder using intervals. i think you will see all levels at your event, from super fast runners to walkers to mid-pack runners to speed walkers and everything in between, even people doing intervals. have fun!

^ This. I've met Mr. Galloway at a couple of races: he is a kind and very motivational man. He took the time to speak to me individually about some soreness I was having. His run/walk method works for all distances. I've recently completed 2 half marathons in the last 2 months, they were my 1st and 2nd half marathons, ever!. Listen to his podcasts, he makes you want to run!