Calories

Options
Ok I know I've posted a crap ton of posts, I'm just trying to get some knowledge. Is there any "semi" accurate way to determine calories burned?? I've read that VO2 max factors into it, heart rate. I found a heart rate calculator for calories (of course it's online so I have no idea if it's even close to accurate) and the amount I got was higher than the machine. How accurate are the machines or this website?

Replies

• DigitalRain
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how reliable this actually is because I don't have an HRM... but i use

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

If you're at the gym you can check your HR on the machines, or if you're running outside or something you could stop for a minute and check it yourself.

Hope this helped!
  • dabomb5198
    Options
    A good heart rate monitor will give you calories burned, amount of exercise in the "Fat Burn" zone and amount of exercise time in the "Fitness" zone. It also gives you your real time heart rate. Make sure you get one with a battery that you can replace.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    An HRM is about as accurate as it gets really for the average person. Think of them as an EKG. They basically do the same thing. As for actual calories burned, from what I have read unless someone has something really unusual going on with their metabolism, then it's accurate enough that you can count on it. That being said I forgot about the last 20% of my calories burned and leave them on the table at the end of the day, just in case.
  • josh6603
    Options
    I have a Timex Iron man Road Trainer HRM. It gives me calories burned, time for the workout, max HR, min HR, Average HR, Time in Zone (1 - 5 selected by the user), and recovery after you hit stop. I have posted about my HRM a few times and i strongly believe in it. Ever since i started useing it my diet has been much easier to maintain. I bought mine from Amazon for $80 with free standard shipping. This is a link to the product http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GWWCJ8/ref=oss_product
    Best of luck to you!