Little things to lose extra calories during the day

Options

Replies

• FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    You can only catch a cold if you come into contact with one. Not from standing in it.

Science! :drinker:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm legally blind and no longer drive, so I walk or run everywhere (everything I need is within 4 miles of my house, except Whole Foods and my local Mall, so I get a ride for those ...) ... I ALWAYS take the stairs too, I grew up seeing my parents doing this, so it became a habit ... Plus, I'm afraid of escalators, since I can't really see that well, I always feel like I'm going to fall while trying to step on them ....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I once saw a documentary, where a PT recommended not warming the shower before you step in. Ie step into the cold shower and let the water reach a comfortable temperature once you are in it. She claimed this could burn an extra 50 calories. I wondered about this.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had not (until now) considered using the break room on the far side of the building at work. I'll give it a try this week. It's kind of a win-win. If I don't walk, I miss lunch.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I like the stand-up office idea. I'm trying to figure out how to configure my keyboard to accommodate that. I don't fidget, but I do like to try to pace as often as possible, but it tends to make my co-workers nervous lol.

I'll continue doing what I feel will create results and makes me feel better during my day, but will try to incorporate some of the other good ideas that I have read here. It's good information.

I understand and accept if people don't agree with some of the methods that I use for my own body (which methods affect you in no way), but, this topic wasn't to advise, or to push my methods on anyone. The premise was to hear what you do, if anything.

Shivering does burn an enormous amount of calories. But I imagine it is quite hard on your body! The few times I have been that cold, I couldn't even stop my jaw from clacking. It was extremely unpleasant!

Please don't go OP. You can spell! :flowerforyou:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine the amount of people who will now go outside in the cold and shiver to try to lose weight. I can see it now... So and so burned 378 calories doing 48 minutes of cardio exercises including "shivering". :noway:
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I put a pull-up bar in my dining room walk way that I make myself do atleast 5 pull ups everytime i walk through. I dont count anymore, but once ive done 500 in one day.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Keep your house extra squeaky clean. 30 minutes to an hour a day of cleaning will keep your house super clean and help you burn some calories!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Removed post - realized it's a duplication! Again, no harm in shivering, there is no way to catch a cold from being in the cold or rain unless it is raining cold virus on you! (which doesn't happen)
  • greenhudler
    Options
    You can only catch a cold if you come into contact with one. Not from standing in it.
    This. Thank you. It's what I've been thinking the whole time I was reading comments on this post.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I jog around the kitchen or do counter pushups while my morning coffee is brewing. If I am on the phone in the evening, I walk the circuit of my house during the whole conversation. I had long conversations with both of my daughters one Saturday morning and was surprised that it added up to 6000 steps. At work, I often stop myself from replying to an email and just walk to talk to the person. That's better for relationships anyway.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For all of those wondering about the shivering. You can burn up to 400 calories an hour by simply shivering.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/317620-how-many-calories-are-burned-by-being-cold/

I get colds easily enough thankyou without doing stupid things like this.

You can keep your 400 calories. I'll find some other way to burn them.

Since it is acceptable to call people out on "stupid things," cold weather DOES NOT cause the common cold. It is a virus, period and has zero to do with being exposed to cold.
  • snowsquirrel
    Options
    The 'shiver diet' made me laugh!

I once had a boyfriend who was obsessed with the body beautiful and he would sleep naked on his bed with the bedroom windows wide open in all weathers. Or so he said ....

He would also constantly flex his muscles, whatever he was doing.

I just do a lot of walking. I love to walk by the lake in nearby woods at dusk. I like to be the last soul to pass through on that one day.
    Sometimes I time it very badly, scare myself in the dark and have to use a flashlight to get back!
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    Keep your house extra squeaky clean. 30 minutes to an hour a day of cleaning will keep your house super clean and help you burn some calories!

What a great idea! I'm going to do this!
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    oops....
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get on the floor and play with my kids every day or chase them around the house. It's fun and gets us all moving.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm an office worker also. I don't do anything crazy but do like to walk on my lunch break. I also try to get in some stretching at my desk at least a couple times a day (neck, shoulders, chest, ankles...). I also make a point to stretch certain areas that I can't do at my desk eveytime I go to the break room/printer/bathroom etc. I think this is really important because we're not designed to sit for long periods of time and it's quite bad for the body. This isn't so much about the calorie burn as it is about general health and well being.

I wish I could have a stand up desk. Our company does provide them but only with medical approval and somehow I don't think "I get really sore when I sit for long periods of time because I always have tight muscles from exercising so much" would qualify me
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    For all of those wondering about the shivering. You can burn up to 400 calories an hour by simply shivering.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/317620-how-many-calories-are-burned-by-being-cold/

It's a bad idea. Suggest you read the original article:

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/1061/do-i-burn-more-calories-when-it-is-hot/

Glycogen depletion and carb use without fat burning trains your body to keep an extra layer of fat, apparently.
    In one study, nine male subjects cycled for 90 minutes in different temperatures: -10 degrees Celsius, zero degrees Celsius, 10 degrees Celsius and 20 degrees Celsius. During the two colder temperatures, there was a higher respiratory exchange ratio indicating that more carbohydrate was used for fuel and less fat was oxidized than during the warmer trials (1). In another study of eight male cyclists, subjects rode to exhaustion in four different temperatures (approximately 4, 10, 20 and 30 degrees Celsius). The longest time to exhaustion was found at 10 degrees Celsius and the shortest was at 30 degrees Celsius. This research showed a relationship between temperature and exercise capacity with the best exercise able to be performed in the moderate ranges with the lowest capacity on either end of the temperature extremes. (2) These two studies suggest that working out in moderate to warm temperature is best for burning fat and exercising longer, so more calories are burned overall.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    To clarify: I don't do this in the place of regular exercise. I do it as an addendum to exercise, to keep my body moving.

Now, judging from two comments already that have been either snobbery, or mockery, I believe I am done with the "community" portion of this website.

I get enough garbage from the people in my life already. I don't need it from people here. Have your message board back. I'll stick to my homepage.

Two snotty comments and you're done? You're probably doing the right thing to stay off the forums...

Edited for typo.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Chew gum? 11 calories an hour. Just think, if you did this for 8 hours a day, you'd lose 9.17 lbs per year. I guess if you chewed vigeriously enough, you might be able to bump that up to 12 calories an hour for 10.01 lbs per year...

Seriously though, it all adds up. Chew gum, bouncing legs, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, it all may seem minimal but in the greater context, your burning potentially tens of thousands of calories a year just by this infintismal tasks.