Cutting back sugar

Options
So I've just learned that apparently as a woman, I should only be consuming 6 grams of sugar a day. I know that I have been eating much more than that and that it is most likely the primary source of my overweight-ness. Do you have any tips for cutting out sugar?
I think the biggest issue is that I love having a little honey in my cups of tea in the morning or mocha in my lattes.

Replies

• SupermanRitz
    Options
    6 grams of sugar? I'm sorry but, WTF!? Where did you get that number from? looking at it realistically a banana or apple contain 12-20g each, even vegetables contain sugar. Not to mention things like bread and rice contain sugar. I think that number is a little misinformed. I'd simply suggest cutting out processed carbs and treats. A little honey once a day isn't going to harm you greatly.
    Stick to whole grains, healthy fats and drink plenty of water.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar and have lost over 300 lbs. If you are eating to your caloric intake and hitting your macros then if you are at a deficit you will lose weight..... Best of Luck
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    who said that and why?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So I've just learned that apparently as a woman, I should only be consuming 6 grams of sugar a day. I know that I have been eating much more than that and that it is most likely the primary source of my overweight-ness. Do you have any tips for cutting out sugar?
    I think the biggest issue is that I love having a little honey in my cups of tea in the morning or mocha in my lattes.

source?

six grams is like one strawberry lol...

wowzers the threads are hilarious...

sugar is not evil and will not make you fat..

overeating on calories makes you fat....
  • bluecal822
    bluecal822 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From the American Heart Association

How much is just right?
    The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons. The AHA recommendations focus on all added sugars, without singling out any particular types such as high-fructose corn syrup. For more detailed information and guidance on sugar intake limits, see the scientific statement in the August 2009 issue of Circulation, Journal of the American Heart Association.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    6 teaspoons is almost 30 grams...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

How much is just right?
    The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons. The AHA recommendations focus on all added sugars, without singling out any particular types such as high-fructose corn syrup. For more detailed information and guidance on sugar intake limits, see the scientific statement in the August 2009 issue of Circulation, Journal of the American Heart Association.

the AHA is full of you know what ..just because you read it, does not make it true..

I do not track sugar and am in almost perfect health ..body fat is pretty low (12%) and all my blood work is great...

so I would avoid this advice...
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    They recommend 6 teaspoons.......6 teaspoons is not 6 grams!

Either way, don't worry about it. As long as you are not meeting calories by only eating chocolate then you won't have a problem. As with other posters above, I don't track sugar at all and am losing weight.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

How much is just right?

6 teaspoons of sugar does not equal 6 grams of sugar.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    "Added sugar" is a hard thing to track in MFP because sugar in fruit is tracked the same as sugar in a mocha.

If mochas are a problem you could try switching to a latte and that will cut down quite a few calories.

Honey in your tea shouldn't be so much of a problem, but maybe try using milk in your tea instead. Stevia may work if you use a teeny tiny bit-- that's made from an herb that tricks your mouth into thinking you're eating something sweet, but if you use too much it tastes weird/bad.

If you like soda, try switching to unsweetened carbonated water.

You know. That sort of thing.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    just because you read it, does not make it true..

I do not track sugar and am in almost perfect health ..body fat is pretty low (12%) and all my blood work is great...

This is what's known as irony, folks.
  • sdhunter8
    sdhunter8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm suppose to have 34 grams a day, I usually go over by 11-20 grams. I need to watch my sugar intake as I have diabetes. But it seems like 34 grams a day is low. But what do I know.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    just because you read it, does not make it true..

This is what's known as irony, folks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jluyt
    jluyt Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been studying my weightloss data and do see a correlation between fatloss and sugar. On days i loose a significant amount of fat tend to be very low sugar days.

This correlation might not be for everyone, but run your reports and look for correlations between either weigh or fatloss and the other components.

One thing i wish mfp had in their reports is magnesium.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have been studying my weightloss data and do see a correlation between fatloss and sugar. On days i loose a significant amount of fat tend to be very low sugar days.

This correlation might not be for everyone, but run your reports and look for correlations between either weigh or fatloss and the other components.

One thing i wish mfp had in their reports is magnesium.

I rarely "lose" weight after any specific day. That's because most bodies don't respond to reduced calories or sugar etc. in 24 hours. Reducing carbohydrate intake or sodium or a change in water intake can flush easy pounds, but most of that is water/glycogen. Even eating almost no sugar my body didn't lose weight quicker than it did eating as much sugar as I could fit in my macros (like an entire box of kid cereal).
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

:huh:

I hit a new low last week (I'm in maintenance btw)-I had one day of 130 grams of sugar and several others that got pretty close to that :yawn: