Replies

• Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    NICE!!!!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch vids at home, and also you are such a beast!! I wanna be you when I grow up! :-)
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    WOW! NICE!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    And clearly age doesn't matter...here's my mom deadlifting 199...she's 65, was 63 at the time, living with Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma, and post surgery/radiation. Sadly, a fall off of a ladder last summer and the resulting nerve damage in her left hand/arm means she probably will not be repeating this feat any time soon, but she's still the CA state record holder in her age class.

(1st section is bench press; she does the 199 at about 2:15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyPt4YF60io

At 25 years her junior, I can't come close...I wanna be her when I grow up ;-)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This is great stuff.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    YOU ROCK RAE!!!! I cannot believe the progress you've made... amazing!!!
    How do people hold the bar? I wear size small gloves, I have tiny hands and I can't grip the bar for deadlifts. It makes me feel lopsided because I can squat more than my body weight and can only deadlift about half what I can squat! I can't feel deadlifts in my back at all, it just hurts my hands. I've been trying higher weights lower reps because I can usually do 3-5 before I completely lose my grip, but I'm frustrated with a lack of progress. I have lifting gloves and they help with everything except deadlifts. I thought about getting grips, but it seems like cheating and I would rather just build up the grip strength to do deadlifts without grips.

Suggestions?

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread! It's great to see women lifting heavy! I smile every time a guy doesn't rerack his squat weights and I have to add weight for mine :)

Have you tried straps?

I bought Versa Gripps. Awesome. I can lift alot heavier since my hands don't slip. BTW-deadlifts are my favorite. I never see anyone do these.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll work on my back rounding and I just got some converse for the squats.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For the DLs, take in a deep breath and tighten your entire core before you pull while keeping your chest up. Also, don't just drop the weights... You don't spend nearly enough time to get your feet & grip positioned back in place correctly so it'll be better if you control it going down.

For your squats, you want to keep the bar over the middle of your foot or slightly behind it at all times. You're going down too quickly which causes you to lose control of the bar and shift forward. Try squatting slower and focus on keeping the bar over the middle of your foot.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting 185lbs? Way to go. One day I hope to be where you are (85 pounds to go.)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting 185lbs? Way to go. One day I hope to be where you are (85 pounds to go.)

I started at 65 in October.
  • Romaena
    Options
    I do my deads with bare feet... Best thing I ever did...