To eat or not to eat?

Options
Hi there!

I was just hoping to get some advice because I really don't know what to do!

I have been eating a diet of 1200 calories and have been doing well at it. But I took up a job dog walking, plus I have boxing circuit classes and therefore I am burning a lot of calories. So today after all my meals and everything, my tracker says I still have 1300 calories to eat!

So the question is, do I eat the remaining calories, and if so what do you suggest. Or, do I just leave it?

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would, at the very least, try to meet your macros.
  • kailiro
    kailiro Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Macros? I'm sorry I am new to this weight loss thing.
  • malimisko
    malimisko Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi - according to this guy

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

You should eat when hungry

I have been following it and am progressing steadily. The less you eat - the more you will lose. If you eat enough of good stuff - 1200 calories is more than enough. What you want is the body to start melting fat. What I was doing wrong before was eating processed stuff. Now I eat only veggies (no fruit) and meat and it started to work.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients are fat, carbohydrates, and protein. MFP will set goals for these; they should be automatically set to track in your diary.

If you have your calorie deficit set to lose 2 pounds/week, you probably need to eat your calories. That's the number I try not to go under, although I rarely eat under my BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to do its basic functions) because I have more energy that way.
  • lindzann88
    lindzann88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1200 sounds like a very low amount of calories. Maybe snack more through the day? I'm still new myself so I'm not sure how credible my advice would be :(
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I eat calories back if I'm hungry, and I don't eat them back if I'm not.as long as my macros look okay..
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you went from not active at all, to adding a lot of activity/exercise, you'll probably find that 1200 calories is not enough. You may need more to fuel your daily activities. I would be miserable at 1200, and probably not as active as you. I don't know your stats, but I you should probably eat back some of those exercise calories or change your goal to a higher number.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hi - according to this guy

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

You should eat when hungry

I have been following it and am progressing steadily. The less you eat - the more you will lose. If you eat enough of good stuff - 1200 calories is more than enough. What you want is the body to start melting fat. What I was doing wrong before was eating processed stuff. Now I eat only veggies (no fruit) and meat and it started to work.

You can lose weight eating any kind of food, and calories do matter. Bigger is not always better when it comes to calorie deficits, and once you start eating in the 1000 calorie range or less, it becomes more difficult to give your body the macro and micro-nutrients it needs to function. Calories are not the enemy - they are what your body uses for energy, and they are necessary to fuel you throughout your day. All you need to do to lose weight is eat fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight. No special foods required.

To the OP, 1200 is a bit low if you're very active, so you would probably benefit from eating some of them back. Keep in mind that MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. Or as someone else suggested, at least keep an eye on your macros. Coming in that far under your calorie goal here and there isn't a big deal, but if you regularly have trouble hitting your goal, you may want to consider adding more calorie-dense foods to your diet. :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd eat back at least some of them.

Perhaps instead of logging your exercise you could just increase your activity level. That way you'll get a higher blanket number of calories and you won't need to worry about whether your calorie burns are accurate.
  • kailiro
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I am still new so I wanted to make sure that I didn't starve myself and make my body start storing fat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I am still new so I wanted to make sure that I didn't starve myself and make my body start storing fat.

You do not store fat from eating too little. That's a myth that unfortunately just doesn't go away.

That being said, you should probably eat back a portion of your exercise calories. Eating all of them may potentially be a mistake as exercise expenditure is often over-stated.
  • kailiro
    Options
    OK here's my next question... I need to eat more carbs and fat but I am over on my protein. What should I eat?
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Your body won't start storing fat from eating too little. You're probably thinking of the very misunderstood adaptive thermogenesis. This is long, but worth the read when you have time: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss?hl=adaptive+thermogenesis
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OK here's my next question... I need to eat more carbs and fat but I am over on my protein. What should I eat?

Don't worry about going over your protein.

Carbs = oatmeal, bread, cheerios, fruits & veggies etc. I personally don't worry about being a little under carbs and fats, but if I am significantly under those macros, I'll grab the peanut butter and a spoon!
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As far as exercise calories go...I eat some of them back if I feel hungry and don't if I am satisfied. Like today, I only ate 1300 cals and had a tough work out. My 1300 cals were all filling and I don't feel hungry so I am just going to call it a night and go to bed =]
  • wishing4thin
    Options
    Eat after 1 hour of working out. You shall eat but eat something healthy. That way, you'll lose weight faster. Correct me if I'm wrong
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Eat after 1 hour of working out. You shall eat but eat something healthy. That way, you'll lose weight faster. Correct me if I'm wrong

You're wrong. It doesn't matter when you eat, or what you eat, it matters how many calories you consume in general.
  • malimisko
    malimisko Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One slice of Pizza Hut stuffed crust pepperoni pizza = 420 Calories

13 cups of chopped broccoli = 403 Calories

Is calorie still a calorie ? Yes. But what are you more likely to overeat - 14th cup of chopped broccoli or second slice of pizza?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough of good stuff - 1200 calories is more than enough. What you want is the body to start melting fat. What I was doing wrong before was eating processed stuff. Now I eat only veggies (no fruit) and meat and it started to work.

She is exercising so 1,200 calories would not be unless she eats her exercise calories back.

Whether or not you eat processed stuff has not bearing on weight loss. All that is required to lose weight is a deficit, but it does not matter what type of food you eat. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    One slice of Pizza Hut stuffed crust pepperoni pizza = 420 Calories

13 cups of chopped broccoli = 403 Calories

Is calorie still a calorie ? Yes. But what are you more likely to overeat - 14th cup of chopped broccoli or second slice of pizza?

Better yet, nobody I've ever known, including me, has eaten that much broccoli.

Moderation not deprivation.