LA Fitness - Personal Training Scam help?

Options
13»

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    So I was tricked into signing up for a 12 month contract with LA Fitness for personal training. One really good salesman talks to you about changing your life and all the things he's going to do for you- he even does a practice session with you to show you how great it's going to be. Once you sign on the dotted line, he passes you off to other trainers who don't know you and don't care about you.

Oh, and the ONLY reason I signed up for the 12 month contract was because they expressly told me that, if I wasn't happy, I could cancel after 6 months with no penalties. Of course now that I'm at 6 months and am completely unhappy with the "personal" training, this suddenly isn't true? I even called the corporate "customer service" and she just kept giving me the same line. The only option is for me to do a "buyout" for 50% of the remaining contract which is over $500! I don't have $500 lying around... I'm a student who recently moved to LA.

Anyway... I went ahead and canceled my cards in a panic because I'm going dead broke and can't afford this ****ty fake training anymore.

My question is... has anyone battled this? Could I get in serious legal trouble if they start calling for updated payment information and I ignore it? I just don't have money to pay them and certainly don't have money for a lawyer... I just don't know what to do.

I had this problem with Gold's Gym. Horrible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Never heard or seen a year long PT contract. Every one I've ever dealt with was "sessions" based. Buying either 5, 10, 20 sessions at a time. And I've worked for corporate gyms like Gold's, World's and 24 Fitness, so as Dav stated, that would be news to me too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    So I was tricked into signing up for a 12 month contract with LA Fitness for personal training. One really good salesman talks to you about changing your life and all the things he's going to do for you- he even does a practice session with you to show you how great it's going to be. Once you sign on the dotted line, he passes you off to other trainers who don't know you and don't care about you.

Oh, and the ONLY reason I signed up for the 12 month contract was because they expressly told me that, if I wasn't happy, I could cancel after 6 months with no penalties. Of course now that I'm at 6 months and am completely unhappy with the "personal" training, this suddenly isn't true? I even called the corporate "customer service" and she just kept giving me the same line. The only option is for me to do a "buyout" for 50% of the remaining contract which is over $500! I don't have $500 lying around... I'm a student who recently moved to LA.

Anyway... I went ahead and canceled my cards in a panic because I'm going dead broke and can't afford this ****ty fake training anymore.

My question is... has anyone battled this? Could I get in serious legal trouble if they start calling for updated payment information and I ignore it? I just don't have money to pay them and certainly don't have money for a lawyer... I just don't know what to do.

I had this problem with Gold's Gym. Horrible.

what was your experience?

i'm baffled at how these large corporations are able to "scam" people.

just playing devil's advocate, but a contract is a contract. gotta read em.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    They have year-long contracts at one of the southeastern chains I used to go to. Minimum contract term was 1/week for 6 months. It was insanely expensive, too.

^^ IIRC the problem with the original class-action against LA was that they would have a certified trainer give you a free training session and promise all sorts of nutritional help and training scheduling, and after you signed up would pass you off to a college kid who was basically a glorified rep-counter.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You have to learn the demon's name before you can break the contract. Haven't you read Faust?
  • NeIIaBeIIa
    NeIIaBeIIa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This exact thing happened to me!

I asked for 8 weeks worth to get me in the swing of things at the gym again. It was a VERY high pressure sales environment, by an awesome enthusiastic trainer. The guy I got the next week was a shocker, and kept asking me to do star-jumps (one month after having a baby - I had to explain it to him every day - terrible). I signed the contract, don't get me wrong, I accept the responsibility, but it was a year long contract with 2 day cooling off period. I didn't know.... I am a super busy working mom who (at the time) travelled a lot (hence the 8 week window, I knew I would be out of the country after that).

They were so unhelpful, I caught them lying to my face several time (for instance "we rang customer support for you, there is no way out" blah blah blah). I was in tears many times. I finally found out for myself that I could opt out at 50% (weeks of arguments later) and this was a blessing to me at the time. Expensive - absolutely - but I couldn't bear the sight of the place, I didn't want to have to think about them or see them ever again. Unfortunately I have to drive past the ba*!*rds every day. I have learnt to look away.

I was totally conned. As the OP said, the original 'trainer' is a salesman, a shonky, corrupt used car sales man... I was so angry.

Lesson learnt. I signed it, I didn't understand what i was signing, they lied to my face as i signed it telling me it was for as long as i wanted. Totally appalling customer service. I made a formal complaint, the girl didn't sound surprised and I never heard anything back of course. It obviously is a technique they train their staff to deploy on unsuspecting unfit people wanting to improve their lives.

I feel for you. But pay it out and move on with your life. I'm scarred, won't be joining a gym for many years to come, if ever again :(
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So glad that I now work in a place where people ask me if I can fit them into my schedule.

But even then, there's no need to pressure people into buying sessions. They either want them or they don't. People aren't dumb. They know if they can't get it done by themselves and those are the ones who'll WILLING pay for sessions.

Now I will say that those who usually feel "scammed" are those who haven't gotten results from them whether it's lack of trainer knowledge and/or application or lack of commitment (eating correctly, consistency with sessions) from the client.
    Haven't heard yet from a client that got great results stating that PT sessions are scams.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I find this typical at most big gyms. Let's be honest, the personnel trainers and globo gyms are in it to make money.

Many globo gyms have pre made templates they want the trainers to use on people based on what they want. If you educate yourself, you can build your own plan and be much better off. Many many moons ago (I've been going to gyms for > 20 years) trainers use to walk around and help people free of change, help on spoting, form, etc. Mostly what you see know in the gym are salesman though there are good personal trainers who can help you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Never heard or seen a year long PT contract. Every one I've ever dealt with was "sessions" based. Buying either 5, 10, 20 sessions at a time. And I've worked for corporate gyms like Gold's, World's and 24 Fitness, so as Dav stated, that would be news to me too.

IDEA Fitness member

LA Fitness is my current gym since they bought the Ballys contracts so I checked when I went in today. Sure enough, 6 month to 1 year contacts are normal, and they don't go by sessions. Basically it's routine writing. You tell them that you're going to work out 4x per week, and they write a routine for you. Maybe you work with a trainer once or twice per week, maybe less, but the routine covers the other days and they switch the routine up every month.

Essentially it's like online training, but instead of $15-30 per month, they hit you up for real money. I am sooooo in the wrong line of work.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OP, if I were you, I would turn the table on them. I would pay them, but they would earn it. First thing I would do is get a copy and read the contract I signed, if they cant produce a contract with my signature on it, it didn't happen. If I was told that I was going to have a certified trainer each session and you think that isn't what you got, I would ask to see the certification on everyone who trained me. I would literally hold them to every jot and tittle of the contract. I would be such a pain in the *kitten* that they would want to get rid of me. But like others have said, you have got to pay them.
  • keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Every LA Fitness has a Personal Training Director. If the trainer you've been working with isn't a good match, go talk to the PTD. I have over $2K invested in training with LA Fitness and it is well worth it. I observed the trainers on the floor and picked the one that I thought would work for me. He is very interested, encouraging and pushes me just enough to make me realize that I can do this.

Don't give up on the personal training, get the right trainer. Go to the gym and ask for the PTD.
  • ilenewilliams
    ilenewilliams Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I joined LA fitness, paid for the training 2x per week and I LOVE my trainer. He even called me at home after my 2nd workout to see if I was okay. I had a stuffy nose and was having trouble catching my breath, he slowed down the session and called me to make sure I was okay. To me that shows he cares. Then he was there when I went to just work out on my own, he gave me 1/2 a session just to "make up" for our slowed down session. Since then I have seen him 2x a week and he works me hard but makes sure he doesn't go overboard. I'm seeing results, and look forward to my workouts. I signed up for a year, but figure I need the encouragement. The first trainer that did my first session and the sales pitch told me she wouldn't be my trainer and introduced me to the guy I ended up with before I signed up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I checked in all my paperwork from the gym and they didn't give me a copy of my contract.

Go to the gym and ask for a copy that has your signature on it. Then read it.
    Then contact the BBB.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I checked in all my paperwork from the gym and they didn't give me a copy of my contract.

Then contact the BBB.

The BBB is useless. No one cares about the BBB and they have no power to do anything.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Then contact the BBB.

The BBB is useless. No one cares about the BBB and they have no power to do anything.
    Thanks for sharing. I contacted the BBB when I had a dispute with t-mobile. I got everything I asked for.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Then contact the BBB.

Thanks for sharing. I contacted the BBB when I had a dispute with t-mobile. I got everything I asked for.

And what specifically should she dispute? That the gym should read the contract to her very slowly and then make sure she keeps her copy of the docs?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Then contact the BBB.

And what specifically should she dispute? That the gym should read the contract to her very slowly and then make sure she keeps her copy of the docs?

Accountability is a lesson that doesn't just pertain to one's health. Just putting that out there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

LA Fitness is my current gym since they bought the Ballys contracts so I checked when I went in today. Sure enough, 6 month to 1 year contacts are normal, and they don't go by sessions. Basically it's routine writing. You tell them that you're going to work out 4x per week, and they write a routine for you. Maybe you work with a trainer once or twice per week, maybe less, but the routine covers the other days and they switch the routine up every month.

Essentially it's like online training, but instead of $15-30 per month, they hit you up for real money. I am sooooo in the wrong line of work.
    Lol, if that's all it takes, then I'd probably make a ton of money with LA Fitness since it only takes a couple of minutes to write up a decent routine!

But I do honestly care about the success of my clients and do take the extra time ensure I'm not just winging a program together, but specifically putting programs together (and instructing them through it) that help them reach the goals they want.
    It's not about the money for me (or else I'd be working at a corporate gym with more members), but the gratitude I get from successful clients. Yes, I do get paid (and it's actually not bad for the amount of time I work), but where I work now, it's not just about looking good, but trying to get people back into good health after cancer, accident, stroke, heart attack, or surgery.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mcarter00
    mcarter00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What happens is your trader quits and the training is nothing like the super Duper sales guy who wasn’t a trainer sold you and they have this contract that they refused to give to you despite the number of trap made in writing and then they harass you nonstop I had to pay for the sessions when the trainer didn’t show up. They told me it didn’t matter if the trainings were inadequate or if the trainer didn’t even show up. So they don’t care about service they just want to take your money . Stay away from LA fitness training it’s a scam