Help with macros

2»

Replies

• Skippy1842
    Skippy1842 Posts: 12 Member
    Sorry why is it important to keep fat down? I have around 70-80g fat a day, maintaining (losing inches, not kgs) and weightlifting.

Explain?

I was just curious to get other view points. Im trying to gain weight and I lift 4/5 x per week and seem to never stop eating lol
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Sorry why is it important to keep fat down? I have around 70-80g fat a day, maintaining (losing inches, not kgs) and weightlifting.

Explain?

70-80g isn't really much. I average 100g or so, and that's following the .5g per lb guideline. Basically it goes as follows: it's easiest to stay healthy and injury-free by keeping a minimum amount of dietary fat (see above). It's easiest to build muscle by keeping a minimum amount of protein intake (opinions vary but somewhere between 1g per lb LBM and 1g per lb body weight is pretty common). The rest is filled with carbs when bulking, usually, cause carbs fuel the workouts you perform when trying to gain and assist in protein synthesis and are less easily converted to adipose than dietary fat.

When cutting, you can go a couple of different ways. One is to keep the same formula but decrease calories. Another is to cut the carbs way back and increase fat intake, mostly because fat is more satiating and you don't have to worry about depositing the dietary fat as stored fat if you're eating in a deficit. This leads close to keto during cut cycles for some people, but different folks have varying levels of success with keto, and if you're on an extended cut, it can be wearying.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Thanks guys. I'm not in deficit at the moment. I'm currently having a break from supplements but was thinking of adding in 2x protein shakes a day just to bump it up a bit more

depending on what protein you're using and how much per shake, 2 shakes a day could be a colossal increase in protein intake. There's very little wrong with taking a ton of protein in, unless you have kidney issues, and it's filling and delicious, but it's also the most expensive macronutrient, so there's that to consider.
  • Skippy1842
    Skippy1842 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks guys. I'm not in deficit at the moment. I'm currently having a break from supplements but was thinking of adding in 2x protein shakes a day just to bump it up a bit more

depending on what protein you're using and how much per shake, 2 shakes a day could be a colossal increase in protein intake. There's very little wrong with taking a ton of protein in, unless you have kidney issues, and it's filling and delicious, but it's also the most expensive macronutrient, so there's that to consider.

Thanks for your input. My protein shakes are 150 cal a pop.

This is my breakdown on the stats I gave out previously
    2,327 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 349 g
    Fat / Day 39 g
    Protein / Day 145 g