Options
124»

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    FKeWzUs.jpg

Hah, I love this.

Having the same problem with my mom too btw, it sucks. Not sure I'll ever get through to her. And don't say ****, she's tough as nails, just won't agree to lift. Probably more like how I won't agree to take up ballet... oh well.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yep, as a few people have said, osteoporosis is the main reason for older women.

And:

tumblr_ly5xl7xinU1qdqpv4o1_500.jpg

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    "She continues to think that a "woman isn't meant to lift like a man". "

Why does it have to be "lift like a man"? Are you trying to convince a woman age 70 to start with heavy barbells at a gym? Or are you wanting her blessing to do so yourself?

If you just have her health at heart, she can do a lot without a barbell or even dumbbells and she'd probably be a helluva lot more willing to consider it. Let her "lift like a woman" (as she sees it). It'll help her. And if she's not interested, let it go.

The OP enjoys power lifting, which arguably qualifies as "lifting like a man" to the people who don't understand the actual effects of power lifting on female lifters.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it strengthens my character in a way that cardio cannot. I feel more confident in myself and my abilities knowing that I lifted heavy things this morning. Where long-distance running de-stresses me, heavy makes me feel strong and capable.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    "She continues to think that a "woman isn't meant to lift like a man". "

Why does it have to be "lift like a man"? Are you trying to convince a woman age 70 to start with heavy barbells at a gym? Or are you wanting her blessing to do so yourself?

If you just have her health at heart, she can do a lot without a barbell or even dumbbells and she'd probably be a helluva lot more willing to consider it. Let her "lift like a woman" (as she sees it). It'll help her. And if she's not interested, let it go.

The OP enjoys power lifting, which arguably qualifies as "lifting like a man" to the people who don't understand the actual effects of power lifting on female lifters.

Thanks, I did see that. I just didn't understand if she's wanting her mother to take up power lifting or just give her her blessing to do so herself.

If she wants to calm her mother's fears that she's hurting herself, I think she just needs to show her by example. Or ignore her. :laugh: