5'5'' and 143 lbs. Is that good?

Im so used to being under 120 lbs. but after highchool I gained 20 lbs. I mean I know Im not a teenager anymore, Im 21. But I just don't know if Im at a good weight. Any opinions?

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Are you happy with the way you look? Then you're good. If you want to get technical, a woman of 5'5" is at a healthy weight between 115 and 150. Since that is so broad, go with what makes you happy.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Im so used to being under 120 lbs. but after highchool I gained 20 lbs. I mean I know Im not a teenager anymore, Im 21. But I just don't know if Im at a good weight. Any opinions?

If you are comfortable with your body, if you are keeping in shape through cardio and/or lifting, and if you like what you see in the mirror, you are doing fine.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Do you feel good? No one can answer this but you. You're BMI is in the healthy range.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Well... Do you feel good? That is 100% your opinion. Also, you should get to know your BMI, which is a super WIDE range I think, but your body fat % will be able to help you out. I don't think it's good or bad. 143 pounds could be all fat, or completely ripped! What do YOU think?
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I'm also 5'5" and am currently 139 (down from 145). It's not an unhealthy weight at all and you probably wear it well. If you're comfortable at 143 hang onto it. I personally don't like where my extra 20 lbs that I gained in college landed so I'm looking to lose. Right now 130 is my goal (or less body fat… I would be happy at 140 if I was 10% less in BF).

If you love the way you look in the healthy weight range then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    It just depends on how you feel about yourself and if you like the way you look. The "chart" thing says I should be like 115. Give me a break, that'll never happen. I was happy at 140 so I'm aiming for that and maybe lose a few pounds for a bit of a buffer. But anyways, I don't think anyone can answer this for you. You just have to find what's right for you!
  • How do you feel? What do you eat? Do you exercise? The first question is really the most important because it is all about that. If you feel good then be comfortable with it. It is just a number. I am working out and eating right so I feel good about my body, how my clothes fit, how I look on the outside does affect how I feel on the inside. So start there. How do you feel on the inside?
  • I do zumba, I run often with my puppy.I don't feel that great about myself. my tummy is pretty flat and I also lift weights. I think Im just wanting to look a certain way that u only see in the magazines lol.
  • Ive been on 1200 calorie diet for about a week and ive done zumba rush full class ever single day. and I lost 3 lbs in a week. I don't have one thing of junk food in the house. just milk eggs yogurt, veggies. I just feel like I want to look like killian michaels or something lol
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    I do zumba, I run often with my puppy.I don't feel that great about myself. my tummy is pretty flat and I also lift weights. I think Im just wanting to look a certain way that u only see in the magazines lol.

Trust me on this...you look fine. :bigsmile: Not feeling good about yourself is another story.
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    people carry weight so differently! i'm 5'5" and weigh 110-113 and I feel like I look chubby, but i've had two kids and that has DEF changed my body
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    It just depends on how you feel about yourself and if you like the way you look. The "chart" thing says I should be like 115. Give me a break, that'll never happen. I was happy at 140 so I'm aiming for that and maybe lose a few pounds for a bit of a buffer. But anyways, I don't think anyone can answer this for you. You just have to find what's right for you!

If you are talking about the BMI chart, you are wrong. BMI charts give a RANGE you can still be considered healthy in. For 5'5" women I think it is between 115 and 150. Anyway 115 lbs would be the minimum, not ideal for everyone.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    If you're asking us, then obviously you aren't okay with it.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    If you have to ask strangers then your probably not comfortable with your weight. Numbers are so minimal in my decision about if I am at a good weight. What are your Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure, and other lab numbers like. If your simply loosing weight to look good then only you can decide. Your heart could care less how you look and only how hard you make it work.

Shirley in Oregon
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    people carry weight so differently! i'm 5'5" and weigh 110-113 and I feel like I look chubby, but i've had two kids and that has DEF changed my body

Agreed. Find where you're comfortable and happy:) Tying yourself down to the scale or BMI range is setting yourself up for unhappiness. I'm just under 5'6'' and 107lbs. For me, doctors have always ok-ed this as a healthy weight and it's comfortable for me. So hey if 143 looks good and feels good to you, then so be it:)
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Things to think about.....Do you lift weights? Muscle weighs more than fat. What is your BMI? That is the real story. How do you feel? You are the one that matters.
  • meggiewho97
    meggiewho97 Posts: 17 Member
    That's chubby. 30 more pounds and you can be obese.

Depending on how much of that is muscle, she is no where near "obese." Have you seen her picture? Plus, that's in 30 more pounds. I don't think she's looking to gain 30 more pounds, so that's not even something to worry about. That's like me saying, "Well, I'm considered a healthy body weight because I only have 40 more pounds to go." Not everybody can get to 115 pounds healthily. In some cases it's dangerous. She also mentioned her stomach is flat and she works out everyday. I don't think she's chubby.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Are you healthy? Do you have energy? Do you feel strong? Are you comfortable in your own skin?
    If the answer is yes to all of these, then you're good.
    If the answer is no to any of these, then do whatever it takes to change that no to a yes.
  • walkersallymae
    walkersallymae Posts: 14 Member
    BMI is a terrible indicator It doesn't take into account muscle mass and since muscle weighs more than fat it is a poor indicator. If you like how you look and you calculate your body fat percentage and its good I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    I do zumba, I run often with my puppy.I don't feel that great about myself. my tummy is pretty flat and I also lift weights. I think Im just wanting to look a certain way that u only see in the magazines lol.
    Magazine images aren't real or attainable--they are photoshopped to look that way. If you already know this look is not how women really look, yet you still feel like you want to look like that, then consider changing what you read or ditching magazines altogether.
    (The only thing I read is Black Belt. :wink: )