Always hungry even with protein, fibers and calories.

Options

Replies

• jedigrover
    jedigrover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, especially that including fat. Saturated fat at that!
    NOTE: I'm a paleo/primal guy, so my views differ from many of the "standard advice." Coming from my perspective, I see the following problems:

1) This looks like a fruit/nuts/snack eating plan.
    2) Not enough fat (other than the nuts)
    3) Way too much sugar / too high of carbs (2 bananas is a lot of of carb bang)

I can pretty much guarantee you that your breakfast of skim milk (no fat to dampen the sugar hit) and 2 bananas is going to send your blood sugar, and hence insulin, through the roof. Your body is going to just pack all those calories away as fat. It has no other choice.

I would advise making "real" food a priority--don't get stuff out of bags & boxes; and if you do, make sure it has no more than 5 *pronoucable* / recognizable ingredients.

What is your exercise? Loads of cardio? I would recommend HEAVY weight lifting instead--to encourage your body to hold on to your muscle (and burn fat to feed it); as well as to avoid any estrogen boost from too much cardio. Yes, you need cardio, but don't rely on it totally.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Breakfast suggestions: eggs, oatmeal, even sausage/bacon can fit into 2000 cals a day. Eat real food dont drink so much mil. If you really liked milk go for a cup a day not 4. Whole food takes longer to digest. Milk will leave your stomach faster.

Lunch: cut out dried fruit and nuts. Packed with calories and take up very little space. Replace with whole fresh fruits, meat, veggies. Make a big chef salad or a nice sand which for a fast lunch that doesn't need to be heated.

For dinner, also cut out the smoothies. Liquid will not make you satisfied. Have some chicken and veggies, add a grain and you will feel much better. I also love soup for keeping cals low but being satisfied.

Example diet:
    Breakfast: 1 large banana, 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup oatmeal : 370 cals
    Lunch: 1 apple, 2 turkey sandwiches with 3 slices of turkey each, 15 baby carrots : 585 cals
    Dinner: 2 cups chicken breasts, 1 cup asparagus, 1 cup rice : 592 cals
    Snack: 1/4 cup almonds : 162 cals
    Total 1709 cals, which leaves room for sugar, dried fruit, or nuts on your oatmeal, mayo etc on your sandwhich, etc. This example menu would be filling for my husband, and too much food for me.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    In the morning I drink skim milk, eat bananes and take a multivitamins.
    At lunch I have mixed nuts and vegetable/fruit juice.

I have a fiber one bar as a snack and I vary for supper.

What am I missing?

Healthy fat. Switch to whole milk, have full-fat cheese and whole eggs, and drop the fruit juice in favor of whole fruit. After all the years of "eggs are bad," scientists have finally (re)discovered that eggs are a good source of fat-soluble vitamins and improve HDL (good) cholesterol. Studies attempting to show dairy fat as being a cause of heart disease and obesity haven't succeeded too well, either:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/03/skim-milk-is-healthier-than-whole-milk-right-maybe-not/

Try that for a few weeks before adding grains. You may find that eating grains (even whole grains) makes you hungrier/less satisfied.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Fats.

This, this, this. But not all fats should come from nuts especially if they are not raw (or sprouted) and are salted! Eating lots of carbs (aka sugar-milk and bananas have lots!) and low fat is a good way to stay hungry all the time and ensure the likelihood of over eating and gaining body fat. Honestly, with your list of food, I don't ask why you are hungry, I ask how can you NOT be hungry.

4 cups of milk and you are wondering why you have chronic sinus issues? Really? I eat the way I do because it eliminates health problems. Sure you can eat anything you want, and stuggle and feel like crap, but if you get tired of that there is a better way. Hint: WHAT you eat matters. Avoiding fat, especially healthy saturated fats, is a FAIL. Eating too many omega 6 fats is a fail as well.

Try adding in grassfed or wild meats, eggs, coconut oil, avocados, and for goodness sakes eat raw or sprouted nuts only. Dump the milk (and probably wheat) if you'd like your sinus issues to improve.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    The thing is, I'm gaining weight.
    Here is my meal plan for today.

Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 4 cup
    Banana - Medium (126g), 2 banana - 126g
    Centrum Forte - Multivitamin for Adults, 1 tablet

Oasis - Fruits etc Fruits Plus Vegetables Yellow, 500 ml
    Krispy Kernels - Mixed Nuts (Almond, Cashew & Pistachio), 80G
    Fiber One - 90 Calorie Brownies - Chocolate Fudge Brownies, 1 brownie (25g)

That leaves me 555 calories for supper and I feel like I have not ate anything.

Be sure you aren't "drinking your calories". Try drinking water and less juice and milk. The liquid calories won't make you feel full.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, especially that including fat. Saturated fat at that!
    NOTE: I'm a paleo/primal guy, so my views differ from many of the "standard advice." Coming from my perspective, I see the following problems:

1) This looks like a fruit/nuts/snack eating plan.
    2) Not enough fat (other than the nuts)
    3) Way too much sugar / too high of carbs (2 bananas is a lot of of carb bang)

I can pretty much guarantee you that your breakfast of skim milk (no fat to dampen the sugar hit) and 2 bananas is going to send your blood sugar, and hence insulin, through the roof. Your body is going to just pack all those calories away as fat. It has no other choice.

I would advise making "real" food a priority--don't get stuff out of bags & boxes; and if you do, make sure it has no more than 5 *pronoucable* / recognizable ingredients.

What is your exercise? Loads of cardio? I would recommend HEAVY weight lifting instead--to encourage your body to hold on to your muscle (and burn fat to feed it); as well as to avoid any estrogen boost from too much cardio. Yes, you need cardio, but don't rely on it totally.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

+1
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

That's because you have eaten nothing.. 4 cups of milk?? why????

eat eggs..

Have pudding for breakfast (recipe below!)
    mix 1/4 oats with 1/2 plain yogurt, 1 scoop protein powder of choice, 1 fruit of choice (like banana or mango or blueberries best) 1 tbsp chai seeds, a tbsp or 2 of milk and 1 tbsp of jello cheesecake mix. Refrigerate until oats are soft :) (you can nix the jello mix and it's still good, or swap yogurt for cottage cheese)

boil eggs and mix with salsa.
    eat cheese sticks

i like spaghetti squash pasta with chicken or tuna mixed in it and oil instead of sauce on it.

salad are so good so filling so healthy and easy to fit into any diet..

i'd switch the fiber one bar for a protein bar.. try quest so good!
  • ccb1128
    Options
    Most people probably won't like this reply, but...
    I used to get a ravenous feeling mid morning accompanied by an awful "hungry headache". Once I cut out all grains and most sugars the awful headaches and starving feelings went away. Now most of my calories are from fat and protein. All the fiber and carbs I get are now from veggies and some fruits. I'm amazed at how good I feel now. My skin looks better and my sinus issues cleared up. I didn't realize how bad I felt all these years until I started feeling good. I'm a firm believer that grains aren't necessary.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Right.

A) Your Snacking all day! Eat some real food!
    B) I'd love to see the calories for that, I'd be genuinely surprised if that lot really is 1455 calories!
    C) Whole milk would be better (FYI, I switched and I'm only consuming an extra 3g of fat a day!)
    D) Need more Fats - Eggs! etc...
  • wtfkenneth
    wtfkenneth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After years and years of junk for food, our systems often don't respond to correct nutrition the way we might hope. That "always hungry" feel that eating junk gave us doesn't always go away right off the bat. In addition to my attempts to eat as much fiber (soluble and insoluble) as sugars and laying off most of the artificial junk (this means I don't eat much from a box any more, and the stuff I do generally passes muster, such as Quaker oats, or Triscuits, which I often use to make hors d'oeuvres, instead of sandwiches), I also take a few supplements. Among them is CLA, which my nutritionist recommended.

Have you tried CLA? Conjugated linoleic acid is a natural trans-fat (I think it's in avocados); a supplement you can buy which will help regulate your appetite. I've found it helped give me a "kick start" in that regard. Together with high fiber to start my day (usually plenty of oats, if not oatmeal, in a bar, and often a banana) I start with the supplements, including CLA. FWIW, I also take fish oil, cinnamon and COQ10, in addition to a multivitamin.

As for the food itself, I'm eating a more whole grains than I've ever eaten (in the past I've just tried to avoid grains--though often started my day with oatmeal, when I was at my healthiest), and almost never eat other grains. It seems starting your day right is important because you need to get your digestive system burning hard ASAP and keep it going. I've always eaten a big variety of fresh vegetables, which are a great source of fiber and nutrients, but I've also added fresh fruit--mostly bananas, apples and grapefruit. It seems like the stuff you listed is "box stuff" and perhaps you could use more whole foods. Do you get much fat in your diet? You NEED that, and animal protein. It'll help satisfy your hunger and your cells. I'd also wonder if that box stuff has artificial sweeteners. I gave those up. My major vice is still salt, and to some extent, caffeine.

Since taking CLA, I've had far fewer "wanna eat" problems. When I do, there are a few "mostly harmless" snacks. Between meals (I try to make sure to eat five times a day, don't FILL myself, and rarely go much over three hours without eating, up until early dinner.) Costco dry roasted almonds with sea salt sometimes keep me going when I have to miss a meal, as do bananas and grapefruit. I don't drink juice at all, and don't drink milk, either (but enjoy swiss cheese.) I buy the smallest fruits on display, and naturally, I don't eat too many bananas or apples, etc., but my nutritionist said I should enjoy as many grapefruit as I want. In general, they have a net positive result for losing weight. FWIW, I don't sweat eating fat, but watch the sugar other carbs.

For me, I think it boils down to high-fiber real foods, low sugar (but not NONE, and make it natural, in-whole-food sugar, I.E., whole fruits, all of which have fiber, slowing the intake) a good mix of vegetables, and CLA as a supplement. When I do that, everything seems to fall in place, and I don't even want to overeat. This goes on top of not eating artificial flavorings and sugars, if I can avoid it (I use a considerable amount of stevia, such as in my oatmeal along with cinnamon, and a small amount of agave or raw sugar in my tea.)

Hope that helps. For me, it's been fairly easy to lose--it's just a lot easier to gain, particularly when I find myself busy and inattentive to my body's needs.

PS: Milk has lactose--a sugar--in it. That IS a lot of milk. I'll bet your sugars are fairly high and your NATURAL source of fiber (fresh vegetables, for example) is fairly low. That can be an issue. I second the eggs recommendation, too. Often, my second mini-meal includes a boiled egg, which I may slice up and put on triscuits with sliced swiss and sliced ham (lots of salt, unfortunately, there.)

WRT fiber bars and cerials, look at those labels. Some of them have two or three times as much sugar, in grams, as fiber. I have only found two bars I can eat with confidence: The Kashi bars, which have almost as much fiber (though not a whole lot) as sugars, and Mrs. Mays (something or other--they have some bars that AREN'T so healthy.) For these, the nutritionist's advice of trying to get as much fiber as sugar seems useful...and again...I try to avoid any of that stuff with sweeteners, unless they're stevia or monk fruit.
  • wtfkenneth
    Options
    (First time posting--wasn't sure how this would come out--this is in response to the guy who expected to get slammed for saying he doesn't eat grains.)

Actually, getting your fiber from vegetables is great. Some whole grain (I.E. "100 whole grain") is good in ADDITION, though. I'd bet the issue you were having was the sugar and the NON-whole grains, which turn rapidly into sugar.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fats.

This, this, this. But not all fats should come from nuts especially if they are not raw (or sprouted) and are salted! Eating lots of carbs (aka sugar-milk and bananas have lots!) and low fat is a good way to stay hungry all the time and ensure the likelihood of over eating and gaining body fat. Honestly, with your list of food, I don't ask why you are hungry, I ask how can you NOT be hungry.

4 cups of milk and you are wondering why you have chronic sinus issues? Really? I eat the way I do because it eliminates health problems. Sure you can eat anything you want, and stuggle and feel like crap, but if you get tired of that there is a better way. Hint: WHAT you eat matters. Avoiding fat, especially healthy saturated fats, is a FAIL. Eating too many omega 6 fats is a fail as well.

Try adding in grassfed or wild meats, eggs, coconut oil, avocados, and for goodness sakes eat raw or sprouted nuts only. Dump the milk (and probably wheat) if you'd like your sinus issues to improve.

:-)
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    For me I stay full longer if I have egg and whole grain bread for second breakfast. Breakfast is to early for me to want that much food so I go for a smoothie that keeps me full for 2 hours or so and then I have second breakfast that keeps me full until lunch 4ish hours later.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Fats.
    Just incase this was missed. Fats are what trigger that I'm satisfied feeling.
  • ccb1128
    Options
    (First time posting--wasn't sure how this would come out--this is in response to the guy who expected to get slammed for saying he doesn't eat grains.)

Actually, getting your fiber from vegetables is great. Some whole grain (I.E. "100 whole grain") is good in ADDITION, though. I'd bet the issue you were having was the sugar and the NON-whole grains, which turn rapidly into sugar.

I respectfully disagree. I whole heartedly believe grains, specifically wheat are poison and slowly killing people.
  • wtfkenneth
    Options
    For me I stay full longer if I have egg and whole grain bread for second breakfast. Breakfast is to early for me to want that much food so I go for a smoothie that keeps me full for 2 hours or so and then I have second breakfast that keeps me full until lunch 4ish hours later.

Do like that "second breakfast." I have a second breakfast and a second lunch. Since I've gone to five meals a day, I generally can't eat a big meal anymore, so if I get a bowl at Chipotle or something, I'll have about 1/3 of it about three hours later. First breakfast is usually oats and maybe a small banana. Second breakfast is meat, dairy and some whole grain just about every day. "Dinner" is usually something pretty small, with fresh vegetables if possible, and definitely some fat so I don't get hungry before going to bed.

I respectfully disagree. I whole heartedly believe grains, specifically wheat are poison and slowly killing people.

I used to avoid grains. I've been much more satisfied after inviting whole grains into my life. Most of my grains aren't wheat. Mostly brown rice and oats, but if I have bread or a tortilla, it's 100% whole grain now.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Right.

A) Your Snacking all day! Eat some real food!
    B) I'd love to see the calories for that, I'd be genuinely surprised if that lot really is 1455 calories!
    C) Whole milk would be better (FYI, I switched and I'm only consuming an extra 3g of fat a day!)
    D) Need more Fats - Eggs! etc...

I agree 100%, except for the milk, some people can't drink whole milk (myself included).

Aside from whatever you consider your "dinner" I don't see one MEAL in your meal plan.
    I eat 10 times more food than this for the entire day, and my calorie goal is 1550.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Fats.
    this2_zps28ca6a74.gif
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Water?
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking copious amounts of water?