bacon, bacon, bacon

Options
so whats the deal with bacon nutrional facts... are the calories listed for raw or cooked? what is cooked?? what is pan fried??? crispy/lifeless bacon?? i like my bacon the opposite of crispy...juicy and flimsy

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    One slice of bacon is one slice of bacon, no matter how it's prepared.
    The only way a slice will vary in calories is if you use a different brand (which may use larger slices) or use different cooking oil (butter, olive oil, etc.)
    Eating a hard boiled egg will have the same amount of calories as a raw egg used in cookie dough. How you prepare the food will change the nutrition, not how you cook it.
    So log your slice of bacon, then account for whether or not you added stuff to it while cooking.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just wanted this to show up on my newsfeed. Mmmm...bacon.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Huh?
  • gbreault87
    Options
    alright i wasnt sure because it seems that if you cook bacon longer you cook more of the fat off which you would think means less calories its just confusing
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only way a slice will vary in calories is if you use a different brand (which may use larger slices) or use different cooking oil (butter, olive oil, etc.)
    Eating a hard boiled egg will have the same amount of calories as a raw egg used in cookie dough. How you prepare the food will change the nutrition, not how you cook it.
    So log your slice of bacon, then account for whether or not you added stuff to it while cooking.

Do people add oil to bacon? What's the point of that?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Mmm, bacon.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    yes
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    don't ask just eat
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Oh, maybe they don't, my bad >.> You can tell I don't make much bacon...
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    :huh: 'cause bacon doesn't have enough of that yummy fatty fat to cook in already?

Cooked will weigh less. The packaged bacon calories should refer to cooked. Crisp may have slightly less fat & cals than "juicy"... mmmm bacon juice :love:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I always assume the calories are for raw. It might be less after you've cooked it and some of the fat has gone away, but oh well. Then it's fewer calories, so woo! The calorie count will vary on any piece of bacon anyways because the fat vs meat content varies on pretty much every slice. Don't over think things!
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Not that I could bother obsessing about it if I were entering it in my diary, but surely grilled bacon (where the fat drips of into the grill pan) is going to have less fat than fried where it cooks in its own fat? I'm pretty sure the bacon lardons I put in a stew the other day had two sets of calories listed - one for raw and one for cooked. And the cooked ones did not match up to the raw amount, so I think the implication was that some fat is cooked off, but if you put it into a casserole or whatever you get all the fat. Can't remember which one I entered though.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I saw bacon and I just had to stop by... baaaaconnnn
  • annadchang
    annadchang Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks, now I want bacon!:laugh:
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    In fact, here it is. Half a pack is 90g.

The info says 100g raw is 255kcal (so 90g must be 229.5kcal)

90g cooked is 80kcal

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's a huge difference - 80 or 229.5 for the same amount!

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265279667
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I don't want you to worry about logging it wrong, so just send it all my way! Thanks
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! OH YESSSS!!!!!!
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Bacon! And tonight is Bacon night!! My mouth is drooling in anticipation!
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i like my bacon the opposite of crispy...juicy and flimsy

:sick: :noway: Flimsy bacon??? Just no...
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    i like my bacon the opposite of crispy...juicy and flimsy

You're doing it wrong.