Planned Failure

Options
When my wife and I got back on track with eating right and getting fit, since we've been down this road before, we anticipated how it would go. We discussed our previous attempts at getting fit and staying fit and the inevitable fall from grace. We knew that despite our enthusiasm and commitment that we would likely slip back into old habits.

Well, it happened this Halloween weekend. I had a lot on my mind and my wife had many things she had to get done. I sensed the temptation to ease back on the healthy eating and the exercise. So rather than fight it, I acknowledged it and let myself go. I can usually resist the urge to have candy since I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but with all the varieties it was too much so I indulged.

This time I have a failure-recovery plan. First I acknowledge that I indulged and attempt to access the damage. I can't access the damage in terms of calorie surplus because I wasn't tracking calories so all I can measure is days off track, 3 days. Considering that I operated on a calories deficit for months, 3 days of debauchery is not that significant.

The missed exercise may not be considered a loss due to the fact that bodies need an extended break from time to time. With the added rest and influx of calories I'm actually feeling pretty good. My energy level is actually lower despite the extra calories which gives credence to the commonly accepted truth that eating right can increase your energy levels.

I feel no guilt or shame because I had a plan to recover from the slip. Rather than try not to think about it or to justify it by saying that "tracking calories is a pain" or "I have more important things to do", I will just get back on track and let it become just another statistic on the graph. It may not even show up though I won't know until I've tracked my weight for the next 3 or 4 days.

It is this inevitable slip that the experts should study and give advice about. We have pretty much studied everything there is to know about dieting and exercise and what we know works. What the experts typically fail to address is how to handle failure gracefully and without shame.

Knowing how to fail effectively is what separates those who succeed long term from those who don't. This applies to more than just weight-loss and fitness. Can you imagine if Edison stopped trying to invent the light bulb after the 3th or 4th try and said, "Life it too short and this is too much of a bother"? Instead he tried hundreds of times and kept trying until he got it right.

I'd like to hear from others who have fallen back into negative habits and how they felt about it. I'd also like to hear what steps you took or will take to get back on track.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Halloween also had a similar effect on me. I plan to knock it off, give away all of the remaining candy, and get back on the horse. I like that it is a monday, and the start of a new month, so I am getting a sense of "fresh start" about going back to the plan. Plus I just barely hit 50 lbs lost, I don't want to backslide any worse than I already have!!!
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Attitude, Attitude, Attitude. It is very important and you seem to have a very positive attitude and that will get you far on your journey. I also accept the fact that I mess up and eat too much or don't exercise. Tomorrow is a new day and a new start to my journey. I have been able to accept the fact that everyone messes up, but we need to acknowledge it and get back to the program. Way to go! Good luck on your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I fail gracefully at least a few times a week. Sometimes every day. Makiing up for it in the gym is fun to me and in the end a deficit is a defecit!
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I fail gracefully at least a few times a week. Sometimes every day. Makiing up for it in the gym is fun to me and in the end a deficit is a defecit!

That's a great answer. It is just like balancing the checkbook. You want that double cheeseburger but you pay for it at the gym.

Just make sure you make regular payments, because the interest is a b#$#.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    On my little journey there have been two quotes that have helped me along. One of them is in my signature the other is "Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain." To sum up the two- There are going to be obsticles. There are going to be "failures" and mishaps but when I eventually summit my mountain it will be the SUMMIT everyone remembers NOT the time I slid back 100 yards. So, I've learned one day of crazy indugence isn't the end of the world. It doesn't UNDO my months of hard work. I just pick my self up, dust myself off, adjust the harness and start back up again.

:drinker:
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    According to the scale I gained 3 pounds but I'm not sure how accurate that is. There is no way I had a 9000 calories surplus so I'm assuming some of it is water weight. On the bright side, the same scale (Tanita) says I have a lower body fat percentage at 18.4.

I had a good workout today, weight lifting and 30 minutes of light cardio. I'm generally feeling very positive about it.

I love the "Nobody trips over mountains" quote. Thanks Msbanana. Hope you don't mind if I use that.
  • lbrossano
    lbrossano Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to ease up on yourself. Perspective, perspective, perspective. One or two days where you've not exercised or eaten too much does not a failure make. Keep looking at your progress over longer periods. As long as the trend is in the right direction, it's all good.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-4 lbs every time I lift or run. It hangs out for a few days and then moves on and sometimes takes some of its friends with it. This is normal water weight gain and part of the healing process.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I love the "Nobody trips over mountains" quote. Thanks Msbanana. Hope you don't mind if I use that.

Use away. I filed the serial numbers off of that a long time ago. :bigsmile: