calories in pasta

Options
The packaging of my spaghetti says 100g has 156 calories, but doesn't specify whether that's dry or cooked.

I'm assuming that's dry - so how much would 100g dry spaghetti weigh once cooked? (approx.)

Replies

• rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The pasta absorbs water as it cooks. I don't see why that would affect the calorie count. If it's weight you want, just use a food scale to weigh it.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are correct and its dry, then take 100g, cook it, then put on a scale or in a measuring cup and see the measurement. Or, just look up cooked spaghetti in the database and use that info.

As a rule, 1/2 cup cooked pasta is between 80-110 calories depending on the type of pasta.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I don't know the answer... I would cook it and then weigh it to find out. But I often cook my food seprately from my family so that I can be sure that I am getting what I measured and accounted for.
  • bnsnwldwmn
    Options
    As long as you don't add any butter or oil to your water, plain pasta should have the same calories cooked or uncooked.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It will depend on how you cook it. If you cook it el dente it won't soak up as much water as it you cook it to mush. That's why you weigh things dry or raw. Cooking method plays a huge part in the weight of something after cooking.
  • JudibugDesigns
    JudibugDesigns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    that seems awfully low for uncooked pasta. Most pasta I've seen is between 300-330 calories per 85g dry pasta.
  • anorwegian
    anorwegian Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    that seems awfully low for uncooked pasta. Most pasta I've seen is between 300-330 calories per 85g dry pasta.

I agree with JudibugDesign. I think those calories are for 100 grams of cooked pasta.
  • miss_glamorous
    Options

I agree with JudibugDesign. I think those calories are for 100 grams of cooked pasta.

Thank you! :)