Big girl doing Insanity? Is it possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started it when I was 175. I got injured with a fractured foot from it. I also had disk surgery but it might not been because of that. I think it's possible for anyone to start it and finish it. I would just caution and really listen to your body and make sure to always have your core engaged especially during the burpees and such. (sorry for any spelling errors lol)

EDIT* Since I got injured I switched my work out and lost 10 lbs but did gain back during my surgery and then lost another 10 when I got the ok to work out. I would hesitate to start with insanity and maybe work up to it after like previous poster said, you know you can at least keep up with easy/imd intensity work outs.

Yikes how did you do THAT?
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    wow, the responses to this actually surprised me. I would have thought people would have said "No, wait". I had been wondering the same thing. I was waiting until I lost another 20-30lbs to try it out and I'm at 197lbs right now. So woohoo! I will be buying it!
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Totally can!!!! Just have to modify.. My husband is starting it with me and he will have to modify. It will be my 2nd round.
    Check out my YouTube video results ;)
    It's totally worth a try!
    http://youtu.be/rRCPVSOrfJI
    Message me for any other questions! Good luck!
  • _jkr
    _jkr Posts: 24
    Options
    I've tried Insanity and it really is insane! BUT it is doable.
    You can take breaks in the middle of sets (other than the timed breaks) to breathe and drink water but it's sort of an honesty system, make sure you're not cheating yourself. If you can still push, you should push! If you believe you can be that honest, then I say go for it. It's pretty easy to see results from that (:
  • CandyBryson
    CandyBryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's the problem I had, I was not that honest I was feeling a little tired and so I just stopped, But I am going to try again soon. It's really hard to do when you are jumping around and doing everything and the pictures on the wall are shaking because I am on the 1st floor and there is a basement underneath me. BUT I have been working really hard at the gym and lifting weights. I am getting the basement remolded so i am excited to do it down there. I gained a little over Christmas but was able to loose it back already and I am at 23 lbs lost so I think I might try again when I hit an even 200 lbs. I feel pretty fit, I can definitely run a mile, and jump rope, and all that stuff.
  • ANewBetterManda
    Options
    Hi Candy, today i just finished INSANITY...very tough but i pushed through! u can do it too :)
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Take classes at the gym. I am currently 230 and I take every class they offer, and do very well in each of them. I can hang with the best of them. And even when you can't the instructors show you moderations. Classes give your body the shock it needs......to keep weight loss on-going.:flowerforyou:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I weigh 188 and am in my second week of Insanity..trying to get rid of the extra cookies I ate over the holidays. It's hard. But in order to get something you've not had you have to do something you've not done...good luck.
  • sarita_714
    Options
    So I weigh 264 and do Insanity. It kicks my butt every time, but I keep digging deeper! :) I stop when I need to an monitor my heart rate to make sure it is safe! You can do anything you put your mind to! Try it :)
  • narwhalpr
    narwhalpr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. As long as you don't lose your form which is important, you can go to your own pace and even modify the workout moves a bit.

This is how I see it, priorities:

1. Safety first! - Don't compromise your body just because you feel "you need to keep up with the crew."

2. Don't compromise form: Like Shaun T. says, it is worth more to do an exercise with the correct form than doing the exercise with the incorrect form/posture. (You will hurt yourself and will not work the muscles that are intended to be working.)

3. Speed: If you feel you can speed up the exercise, but still be safe and keep the form, then go ahead and do it. Otherwise, go to your own pace and make sure 1 and 2 are taking care of.

The whole workout helps you increase your fitness level, not just lose weight and tone you. The calories you burns doing the workouts depend on so many factors, so I bought a Heart Rate Monitor (Polar FT4 specifically) to have an accurate reading on my calories burned.

I started Insanity weighing 230, now I am down to 224.4 (just started my Month 2 of the program). I do very well and combined the program with weight training at the gym.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    First of all, you need to speak to your dr. Secondly, you go at your own pace and if anything hurts, you listen to your body.

Lastly, GOOD FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, it is not a program that should be taken lightly! I would not go for it unless you are medically cleared by your doctor. I was not successful, it was too much floor work up/down for me at my weight (over 300) I just couldn't move that quickly. I was very successful with Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Rockin" Body and Les Mills Combat. The programs work, the key is consistency and giving it your all 6 days a week, no joking around! Enjoy! :smile:
  • staceylaitinen
    Options
    HI, are you part of a support/motivation group? I love Insanity. Currently I am doing T25 - I love that it is 25minutes because then I have no excuses for not doing it. Let me know about the group!
  • Blessedp
    Blessedp Posts: 2
    Options
    I am into a week of my weight loss journey. I bought p90x and Insanity. I figure I will do 120 days of Insanity and then switch to P90x. I started out weighing 270 lbs and did my review of Insanity and figured the cardio was the best way for me to lose weight before go into muscle building again. So 270 at the beginning of the week, working out with Insanity and using Fitnesspal to count my calories I am now 262 lbs. I do not get through all of Insanity. I try to do some of each exercise and keep my heart rate up. But I have high blood pressure so I pace myself. What I notice is that each day I am able to do more and more. This is the key to this work out. Don't worry about getting through it all. Keep good form and I guarantee that the exercises and stretches that he is doing will definitely help your body. Put it this way if you are not doing anything, I can assure that getting through 15 mins of Insanity is better than doing nothing. I personally love it.
    I dread everyday that I am about to do it, then like it while I'm doing it, and love the pain so much when I'm done. Go for it!!!!

Keep Pushing!
  • YvonneBerdkan
    YvonneBerdkan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am currently 270lbs and I am on day 10 of insanity! I have dropped 50 pounds and I can do it, I take breaks when I need to but I can keep up pretty good with my room mate who is 130lbs! It is hard and gets me sweating and my heart rate up! It depends on how in shape you are! Just go at your own pace and take a minute if you need it. But I definitely would recommend it!
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I did insanity twice. The 1st time I was 271! I did the best I could even though I stopped like 10 times in one workout, I lost 15lbs with it! You can do it, if you are determined too!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!